Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Strong Road disc wheels £500 budget?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Need a pair of road disc wheels.

Been offered so far:
    Mavic open pro hope 4 hubs
    Archetype h s plus son.

Can anyone recommend another pair?

hatter

DT Swiss RR511’s or R32 Wheels (same rim).

I’m a big ol’ unit and been running these rims in 32h for a year or so on my hack/commute/CX rig.

They’re tough as old boots and build into a lovely stiff wheel, a fair bit lighter than my old touring rims too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m a big ol’ unit

Think strategically shaved gorilla.

ransos
    Free Member

Open Pros are tough as old boots, but it might be a good idea to go for tubeless rims. My Grails on novatec hubs with CX ray spokes cost £370. Built by this guy, who I recommend. http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

Hunt wheels seem to get good reviews

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hunt’s have been brill for me so far. They now do a 28 spoke version aswell.

dragon
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium or Ksyrium disc variants

Fulcrum Racing 5 DB

Something from Shimano

What are they primarily to be used for? Open Pro’s aren’t particularity strong, it is all about the quality of the build and even then are a bit flexy. Mavic CXP rims build a stiffer, but heavier wheel IME.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and 103kg in my shreddies, and my summer wheels are <1300g clinchers. My winter wheels are open-sport on 5800 hubs. Strength is as much about being well built as it is the parts.

Not sure if the open-sport (think it’s now re-branded the open-elite) is stronger than the open pro, but it’s a pinned rim so has more internal structures, and therefore presuming stiffens. It’s also dirt cheap. But it’s a bit old skool, low tech, and well………….dull?

On a new snazzy bike I was eyeing up the Shimano CX75 hubs and either H-plus-sons archetypes or Velocity A23’s.

Unless I’m feeling weight weenie I prefer shimano hubs, my grandkids will probably be re-building them.

ransos
    Free Member

Open Pro’s aren’t particularity strong, it is all about the quality of the build and even then are a bit flexy.

Mine survived loaded touring and commuting for donkey’s years. I was very happy with them.

Saccades
    Free Member

I had open pro’s on xt disc hubs that were ace for 5 years and struggled in the last 2 or so.

But they reached 23K km with everything from commuting, 200 savage audax’s, towing the kids, down the pub and the like I think they handled a tough life pretty well.

Now running some PlanetX built wtb frequency i19 rims on their selcof hubs for the last 700 km and they are pretty good. Pondering going tubeless on them atm.

I’m ~100 kg too.

rezis
    Free Member

I have a set of Kinesis Crosslights which have been ok for me. They do a ‘Heavy Duty’ set for 2016 for around £300. But don’t know how these ride…

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m on Hunts, whichever ones come as standard on the Mason Definition. They’re currently standing up well to my 90+kg and being battered around london roads so they would get my vote.

jacob46
    Free Member

they are to replace the wheels that came as standard on my giant defy advanced 2. They originals will then be spare set for my commute disc bike.

damascus
    Free Member

Open pro on pro 2s, used for commuting. They are bomb proof.

They do have a braking surface, they are not tubeless ready and they weigh 1800g 32 spoke.

Personally, I think they are a bit dated now and ready for a non braking surface version which should be lighter.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have very similar wheels to Ransos built by the same guy http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/ he is local to me so I spoke with him in person and collected the wheels.
    I have Stans Grail rims on novatec hubs with sapin spokes.

I am around the 100kg mark and have put nearly 18 months of regular riding on Devon’s best potholed roads and they have been perfect and needed nothing at all.

The wheels weigh around 1700g and seem strong as old boots. I paid around £330 without delivery.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    … I was eyeing up the Shimano CX75 hubs …

fwoar.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m looking to rebuild my Pompetamine wheels, which will need to be very strong to cope with cargo carrying, and disc only. I have spotted the Stan’s Grail, but noted yesterday the Pacenti SL25, which is what I think I will go for – those built up with strong and not too light spokes on decent value hubs would be indestructible, I’d have thought…

bikerbruce
    Free Member

CX disc HD should fit the bill..

amedias
    Free Member

not trying to be awkward here, but you do seem to be asking the same/very similar things repeatedly, you’d probably get more useful info if you kept mostly in one thread, at least other people would also be able to see what other posters have said too and stop them/you repeatedly asking/answering the same questions.

2 hours ago – Strong Road disc wheels £500 budget?
    4 days ago – Road wheels. Consumer or handmade ?
    4 days ago – Any Road Wheel deals about? (disc)
    1 week ago – Set of Road wheels Disc needed?

avdave2

My Defy Advanced 2 will get the Hunt wheels if I ever find a way of justifying it to myself without the original rims breaking.

jacob46
    Free Member

amedias go and do one.

this time I’m getting some fantastic replies and they are really useful recommendations and I’m looking at every single wheel mentioned. go and find someone else to annoy. prick.

jacob46
    Free Member

avdave2, this years defy advanced 2?

have you herd good reviews about hunts?

snaps
    Free Member

2 hours ago – Strong Road disc wheels £500 budget?
    4 days ago – Road wheels. Consumer or handmade ?
    4 days ago – Any Road Wheel deals about? (disc)
    1 week ago – Set of Road wheels Disc needed?

Looks like the records stuck

steve_b77
    Free Member

2nd on the Stans Grail, light and bomb proof as far as I can tell. They’ve taken a season / winter of cx racing and general trail riding so they’ll defo hold up to road

kilo

velocity ailerons on either shimano if 10 speed or shimano front / hope rear for 11. been using these for over a year no problems at all with them and i’m a heavy clumsy lump

13thfloormonk

I’ve been window shopping for something similar, settled on CX75s with Pacenti SL25 disc rims, 28 spoke with Sapim CX Rays.

Considered DT 240s but I think the Shimano hub builds a stiffer wheel (side to side anyway) although running discs I guess a little bit of side-to-side flex is OK.

Annoyingly I don’t think those CX75s have the new Shimano ‘digital click’ adjustment, all the benefits of cup and cone without having to piss around with cone spanners. Might hold off until it trickles down from their factory wheels.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

jacob46 – Member
    amedias go and do one.

this time I’m getting some fantastic replies and they are really useful recommendations and I’m looking at every single wheel mentioned. go and find someone else to annoy. prick.

😀

Are you really 46?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using Mavic Ksyrium Pro Discs on my CX for over a year now and they’ve taken a fair bit of offroad abuse (on the Quantocks) without complaint.
    Bit over the price limit though.

avdave2

Yes Jacob this years Defy, exactly the same one you have.
    I’ve read nothing but positive reviews of the Hunt wheels, here and elsewhere. I’d go with the lightest option as I’m sub 54KG but they do a heavier duty version that isn’t really that much heavier.
    I just need to break the original wheels so I can justify it, I already love the way the bike rides and for me and my needs an upgrade is totally unnecessary but you know how it is. 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

amedias go and do one. …go and find someone else to annoy. prick.

Well that’s nice, I try and offer a helpful suggestion on how you might get a better response and more useful info from people without having to repeat yourself and explain over and over, I even go out of the way to preface it to make sure it’s clear I’m NOT trying to be awkward and that’s how you reply!?

There’s certainly no need for name calling, but If that’s the way you’re going to behave then I hope your nipples fall off!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Holy thread break down batman. Now shake virtual hands and make up.

theflatboy
    Free Member

[]quote]avdave2 – Member
    Yes Jacob this years Defy, exactly the same one you have.
    I’ve read nothing but positive reviews of the Hunt wheels, here and elsewhere. [/quote]

My Dad got some of the Hunt all season disc wheels for his new bike and they are absolutely lovely, I’m very jealous – very premium feel to them, and perfect spec on all components. They also come as boxed with all the kit to fit either disc standard on them – definitely recommended.

avdave2

And I think they also come with everything to run them tubeless as well.
    And they will also supply them with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres fitted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Annoyingly I don’t think those CX75s have the new Shimano ‘digital click’ adjustment, all the benefits of cup and cone without having to piss around with cone spanners. Might hold off until it trickles down from their factory wheels.

Looks like they do (no threads on the axle)

fwoar.

I like shimano hubs 🙂 Shame no one makes a higher end lightweight cup and cone hub, but I guess it’s considerably more expensive to do than just churn out aluminium hub bodies on a CNC lathe.

jonba
    Free Member

Depending on what you mean by strong you might want to look at CX disc wheels as well.

Years ago I had a set built by Just Riding along.

Pro 2 evo, 32 spokes, Velocity A23 rim. Probably not available now but something similar would be fine as that has got me through 3 seasons of racing, 2 three peaks (pb of 3h45), a few winter road rides, several 100mile + offroad rides.

If not just riding along then any of the other wheel builders can advise.

DCR
    Spokesman
    Wheelsmith
    Harry Rowland

jacob46
    Free Member

Anyone herd or know of these?

http://www.zuus.co.uk/disc-brake-wheels/

13thfloormonk

Looks like they do (no threads on the axle)

Think I see a spanner flat though 🙁 Also Evans responded to my query on their website, confirmed cone spanners still required!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Strong Road disc wheels £500 budget?’ is closed to new replies.