• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by matts.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • strong reliable road rim?
  • pete68
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a road rim that’s robust, reliable and reasonably light. Something that can take 32c tyres and a few rough roads. Stansted grail seems an option but is there anything else. Cheers.

scotroutes

Open Pros

kilo

archetype, ailerons and pacenti sl25 all got mentioned positively on the recent cx wheel thread

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I would have thought most rims would be strong and reliable nowadays, assuming that the wheel was well built and had an appropriate number of spokes if the rider was of a heavier build?

32mm tyres should add a fair bit of protection so far as flat spotting or other damage that you might not be able to true out.

As above, Open Pros or Archetypes.

scaredypants

see if CRC are still flogging wtb i19 cheap – 29er mtb rim but work OK with 28s IMO, probably even 25s

Rim has a UST-like ridge too, so hold a tubeless tyre well (actually a bit hard to unseat 😳 )

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, almost all 400gm+ rims will do this.

benw
    Free Member

ambrosio excellence,they are balanced as well.they also look good which is after all the most important thing

mrblobby
    Free Member

Open pro probably a bit too narrow for you. Something like an Archetype would do.

If you want strong and light then there are some wide Chinese carbon rims that seem well rated.

scotroutes

Open Pro too narrow? What makes you think that?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a set of open pro’s and they are a bit old school in width. Fine for 23 but the op wants to run 32. Reckon they’d have a better profile on a wider rim. Even 25 are nicer on the archetype. All IMO of course 🙂

scotroutes

Ah. I run 35mm cx tyres on Open Pros just fine. Cynic-al has run 2.3″ mtb tyres on his, again with no issues.

FWIW, my cx tyres definitely had more “volume” on a set of Arch EX though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

I have a set of open pro’s and they are a bit old school in width. Fine for 23 but the op wants to run 32. Reckon they’d have a better profile on a wider rim. Even 25 are nicer on the archetype.

Open pros and other rims were absolutely fine for decades.

Wide rims for road bikes is UTTER MARKETING SHITE

Edric64
    Free Member

Open Pro are not too narrow .I use them with 35mm Landcruisers on the 3 peaks cyclocross they are fine

mrblobby
    Free Member

Open pros and other rims were absolutely fine for decades.

Just like narrow tyres have been absolutely fine for decades 🙂

Having ridden 25c tyres on OpenPro and Archetype rims, my personal preference is for them on the wider rims. You may prefer them on narrower rims.

There’s a lot of marketing shite out there, but you could dismiss pretty much every bike product on that basis.

eshershore
    Free Member

Open pro will be fine for your needs?

Tough, cheap enough, eyeletted and good trueness out of the box so a competent wheel builder can provide you with well built, durable wheels.

Will accept a wide enough range of tire sizes to provide functionality.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Having ridden 25c tyres on OpenPro and Archetype rims, my personal preference is for them on the wider rims. You may prefer them on narrower rims.

Why? I have no preference – because it makes **** all difference.

matts
    Free Member

OP – I presume you want a rim brake rim for road? If so, look at the Pacenti SL23.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘strong reliable road rim?’ is closed to new replies.