Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Strong, cheapish 26" rims?
  • ianv
    Free Member

I seem to have badly bent my rear wheel Mavic EN321 and need a new rim. What’s good value, as strong/stronger and (ideally) wont need a different spoke length? I am not so bothered about weight.

Cheers

wiggles
    Free Member

not sure about spokes etc but superstar tactic?

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say the Tactic as well.

matt_outandabout

Superstar?

wiggles
    Free Member

Their wheelbuilds are not known for being great, but never heard anyone say anything bad about the rims.

So why the bargepole?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mavic EN 521 or EX721

andyrm
    Free Member

Tactic should be bang on – I’ve been on a Sentinel/Tesla combo all season and the Tactic is wider and stronger than the Sentinel.

My wheels have been spot on despite a full season of UK and European Enduro racing. Suggests the negative hype is just noise on this forum.

And at £40 it’s a steal!

If you’re building it yourself, be sure to oil the nipple hole and spoke threads so you can get some good tension on without spoke twist.

🙂

orena45

What mikewsmith said ^^^

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Mavic suck!!! 21mm internal width is only any good for 2.1 tyres or narrower. For any decent width tyres you need wider rims.

_tom_
    Free Member

Always 721, standard!

orena45

No problem with 2.4″ Contis on my 521s

porter_jamie

i have some spank rims which seem bullet proof. not the lightest. i might be persuaded to part with them

tmb467
    Free Member

Got a nukeproof rim for 26quid a while back. Basically a rebadged sun ringle.

Very strong – very cheap

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

2.5 minnion on a 521 feels nasty. I have a 23mm internal width rim on the front with the same tyre and it feels planted, no squirming ever.

TMBH that is what I have on the front with a nukeproof hub. I love the width but the weight is overkill for the riding I do.

ianv
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

£40 is a bit steep though for what I am looking for. Basically something simple for my jump bike that is no frills and solid.

What are the cheaper superstars (AM or DH ones @ £25)like?

i have some spank rims which seem bullet proof. not the lightest. i might be persuaded to part with them

Which ones and how much?

superdan

I’ve done two full DH seasons (including a few BDS rounds) and a week in morzine on a pair of the cheap superstar DH rims, laced onto my Hope Pro 2 Hubs. Been fine, now looking a little tatty so might treat myself to a new pair. They are rebadged Alexrims.

Im 92kg and ride like a total thug.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

+1 Mavic EN521 rims. 21mm internal is a fine width, I run 2.35 Hans Dampfs (which are more like a 2.5) without any issues what so ever. Cheap and very strong.

Rorschach
    Free Member

321’s are £27….how much cheaper were you thinking? 325’s are wider/stronger and also £27.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Halo’s?? I think they make some sexy red ones that make good tubeless.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Strong, cheapish 26" rims?’ is closed to new replies.