Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stripping varnish from cot-bed
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So we’ve got this cot-bed which is quite a nice design but is pine (yuck) with naff varnish all over it (triple yuck – about the nastiest finish I can think of for wood.. kind of orangey).

We’d like to paint the cot, so I am thinking we’ll need to strip it. I’d say nitromors is out, since I don’t want to poison the baby any more than we will by using paint, so what is the best way do you reckon?

If it helps, the varnish seems somewhat thin and it’s a matt finish, so not really resinous like old fashioned varnish is. It’s only about 2-3 years old.

I’m thinking hot air, or maybe just rough it up with a wire brush on a drill.. it might be too fiddly to sand in all the crevices.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Why do you need to remove it?

Why not just a light sanding and then paint on top. If it’s three years old it should be fairly stable.

If you’re worried you could always use an undercoat.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I sand it lightly I won’t be able to get into all the crevices easily. I dunno how much difference that’d make…

andym
    Free Member

Take a blow torch/paint remover tool to it.

If you rinse the Nitromors off properly why would there be a risk to the baby?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, you never know. It’s nasty stuff innit.

matthewjb
    Free Member

It’s nasty stuff innit.

So is gloss paint. Although it’s not as bad.

If you want a perfect finish use Nitromors. It just sounds like a lot of hassle. Unless, when you apply the gloss, the varnish starts to come off then I would use it.

Could you get it dip stripped? It may be worth looking in the Yellow Pages.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Acid bath is the way to go – then wax it.

IMO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stripping varnish from cot-bed’ is closed to new replies.