Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stripped threads on Hope BB…..
  • Simon

Anyone had this problem?

Few weeks ago, the night before a big weekend away I discovered the drive side Hope BB cup was loose. On taking the cranks out the bb came off with the axle!
    I feared the bb shell thread in the frame had stripped but fortunately it was the cup.

I found an old Truvativ bb cup in the shed and put that in which tightened up fine and has stayed tight. One thing I did notice was that the threaded section on the Truvativ is longer than the Hope.

Northwind

They used to have a rep for that when they shipped with soft bb spacers that potentially allowed too much play. Haven’t heard it recently though.

sheeps

I had it recently on my superlight and it had stripped the threads in the frame as well. Advice from the forum collective was that it was due to plastic spacers allowing flex in the BB shell combined with the short length of thread on the Hope cups. Fortunately BETD were able to repair the frame and recommended alloy spacers – just be careful not to damage the frame when tightening up the cups.

Mugboo

Bad workmen….. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member
    Bad workmen….

Lazy flamers….

br
    Free Member

They used to have a rep for that when they shipped with soft bb spacers that potentially allowed too much play.

This.

Mine did this and it turns out that the spacers they were initially shipped with just disintegrated over time – mine was a 2008/9.

I rang Hope and they said send in.

They warrantied the cups, sent me extra new spacers (also Hope BB on my sons bike) and I paid trade for a new set of ceramic bearings.

Simon

Mugboo – Member
    Bad workmen…..

Cheeky get! I used a rock and everything.

cakefacesmallblock

Had the same happen to the drive side on my Trance. Hope weren’t very interested to be honest and suggested I’d not tightened it sufficiently. Despite the fact it had been fine for 18 months of around 35 miles a week. Bike shop suggested the same. In my case it was the frame which suffered. After effecting a repair and Hope ( not their fault or ow’t. Supplying one new cup), bike shop suggested the soft spacers supplied by Hope to be the true culprit.
    I’ve been running Hope hubs for ages and bike has had Hope skewers, headset, and the bb added as things have worn out.
    Not sure I’ll be so quick to reach for a green and white box next time. Certainly don’t like being £100 worse off for something I know I did right. Shame, but not everyone can afford or needs to use their lbs all the time. I don’t begrudge them at all, but need to DIY when I can. This seemed to be why Hope were disinterested, the fact I’d fitted it myself. Frame still isn’t truly fixed and chain line now slightly out as spacers wre altered to allow better purchase on drive side , but at least I can ride it.

Simon

I’m pretty sure it was done up tight as I had a mystery creak back in the summer when pedalling, BB cup tightness was one of the things I checked.
    Not sure what spacers I was using, but I think they were metal plus a stinger on the drive side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stripped threads on Hope BB…..’ is closed to new replies.