Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stripped threads on BB (helicoil?)
  • hora
    Free Member

The first say 3mm- how ‘bad’ is it? I’ve never had this before. Does helicoiling ‘work’?

shortcut

go to the bike shop NOW ie don’t make them worse. The should just be able to tidy it all up as they can recut / clean up the threads with the appropriate too. and you will be fine.

Just don’t do anything more yourself!

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just had this problem with new frame. I ruined one bb cup on one side. So before goin to shop i tried running an old stainless bb thru it to clean up the thread it worked to a fashion it was still a bit stiff but the new bb went in. Worth a try before trying owt drastic if you have an old bb i reckon

shortcut

fs – I like your style but IMHO it just isn’t worth trying to fix and potentially make it worse. It will take the shop 5 minutes and a packet of biccies to sort out. And you know the threads will be straight. Bike shops that the anxiety out of this situation. Especially if the frame is expensive!

hora
    Free Member

Agree- LBS. If they chase it out, it’ll be ok? 🙁

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just make sure its a god lbs – and not one staffed by daft 14 yr olds, and it should be fine

Junkyard
    Free Member

evans it is then Hora

Dylan08
    Free Member

Ask them to book the job in and for gawds sake pay them in CASH (£££££) not ‘biccies’ (for FK’s sake!)

You get what you pay for in this life chap!!

But saying that it is an easy workshop job if done by a decent mechanic

Trimix
    Free Member

Time for a new frame then 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

i’ve got a frame with 3-4mm of thread gone on the non-drive side. I cleaned up the threads and just use it like normal.

shortcut

Dylan – it depends how well you know your lbs 😉 and how much you spend there! Yeah – they need to know what they are doing but it is a very easy job.

takisawa2

Re-Tapping is only an option if the tap can pick up on the old thread. If it starts cutting a new one it will end up worse.

Try working the thread from the inside out with a 1/4 section of an old steel B/B cup. Fiddly but works. I had an Italian B/B reamed out & a sleeve put in & tapped once. Cost about £20 I think.

hora
    Free Member

Re-Tapping is only an option if the tap can pick up on the old thread

Thats what the LBS is doing now, they’ve chipped some paint of the rear chain stay/seat stay pivot with the chain hanging lose so I’ll discuss cost with that into the consideration 😉

hora
    Free Member

HOW MUCH for XT BB cups now?!!!!! £47 WTF. Those Japanese are havin a laff 👿 😳

takisawa2

How did you get on hora ?
    All sorted…?
    Just curious.

hora
    Free Member

Chased the threads (just the first few apparently)- well I wont know until I remove the BB cup in the future huh? My old cup threads were stripped though hence the new expensive XT cups

GW
    Free Member

hora – Deore BB £20 delivered from mtb-direct.

AlasdairMc

Unsure if these unthreaded BBs are any good, but it’d be a last resort if it’s completely goosed.

That said, Argos will do you a new BB shell if it’s even worse and the frame is worth it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stripped threads on BB (helicoil?)’ is closed to new replies.