Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Stripped thread SC Bronson…….argghhhh!
  • ssbnreso
    Free Member

Managed to strip the thread on the rear triangle bottom link.Can this be fixed, tapped out? How do I find out the pitch of thread etc? Or can anybody recommend anywhere, north east preferably.

tjagain

I would say that needs an insert preferably a brass bush rather than a helicoil. any decent engineering shop should be able to do it and you might even get a helicoil kit that would do

simple to do .

Mowgli
    Free Member

Would it be possible to have a though bolt and secure with a nut instead? I’d avoid removing any more material if possible. You’d need a custom bolt/axle and perhaps drill the hole so it’s a good fit, but opening it up for an insert or helicoil could weaken it.

tjagain

A helicoil will remove an insignificant amount of material

Gilles

Is it a carbon frame? The top link of my rear triangle was also damaged due to regular services – it was a 5010 not a Bronson. I still don’t know if it’s because the link was weak or if i was a bad mechanic. I was always cleaning it properly and using Loctite when putting the axles back. Anyway I contacted SC and they were happy to replace it with a new frame free of charge. So right now I’m still not sure if it was a know design fault or my bad skill. The new 5010 frame links are definitely more beefy.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

It’s an alloy frame and I’m not original owner so warrenty doesn’t apply 🙁

tjagain – Member
    A helicoil will remove an insignificant amount of material

Any idea how to figure what size I need?

tjagain

Ask the manufacturer? Or use one of these? Or take it to an engineering shop?

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=780045&vat_inc=true&gclid=CPyavYHV8dMCFQO77QodRQsPGA

shortyj15

Email santa cruz and ask for the thread size / pitch and then get a helicoil in that size

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice! Have emailed SC for thread info.

lotto
    Free Member

Highpath Engineering for a really professional job. Looks the kind of job they would do. It might be a little more cost than doing it yourself but the repair would probably be better than the original and you would have longevity and peace of mind.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Soooo…..the bolt is M15 x 1.0 pitch.

helicoil don’t make a fitment in that size so far as i can see…..bugger!

tjagain

YOu can still get a bush made up to fit by an engineering shop

ssbnreso
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    YOu can still get a bush made up to fit by an engineering shop

Yellow pages it is then!

tjagain

You have a recommendation up above. the other option is to build up the area with weld and then recut the original thread. I have used blane precision engineering in the past – good chaps

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Emailed highpath

willv

Giles – mine v1 carbon did the same and they replaced the frame with a v2.
    funny that, anyone else?

Gilles

it was indeed a v1 which they replaced with a v2.

andyl
    Free Member

M15 x 1.0? That is a very odd size. Found M15 x 1.5 and M5 x 2.0 but only taps and dies in 1.0.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    M15 x 1.0? That is a very odd size. Found M15 x 1.5 and M5 x 2.0 but only taps and dies in 1.0.

Yep!!

Highpath can’t help

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Ordered a tap to see if I can salvage the existing thread…….fingers crossed!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I had to tap my bronson v1 in the same area, fortunately its been ok since.

Seen the same thing on a few SC frames.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

yorkshire89 – Member
    I had to tap my bronson v1 in the same area, fortunately its been ok since.

Seen the same thing on a few SC frames.

The tread is still there just chewed up, so hopefully it’ll work! Nobody does a m15 x 1 sleeve/repair so it would have to be custom.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely worth an email to SC, even if you’re not the original owner. You never know.

timbo678
    Free Member

Hi,

Same on my solo, not the original owner, brand new 5010cc sent as a replacement

Thanks

oliverracing

Just a thought, could you not re tap the thread on the bolt to m14 (or another smaller size, maybe imperial?) and use a helicoil of the new size in the hole?

This is a technique used by a company I used to work for where the parts were often machined to the limit so removing to much material from the nut part of the thread was a no go.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Emailed Santa Cruz……. not holding my breath though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hi,

Same on my solo, not the original owner, brand new 5010cc sent as a replacement

Thanks

Brilliant, that’s awesome service. I don’t know why most manufacturers don’t allow transfer of warranty though, if your confident in your product to give it 5 years, why does it matter who bloody owns it?.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

oliverracing – Member
    Just a thought, could you not re tap the thread on the bolt to m14 (or another smaller size, maybe imperial?) and use a helicoil of the new size in the hole?

This is a technique used by a company I used to work for where the parts were often machined to the limit so removing to much material from the nut part of the thread was a no go.

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Not sure if that would work, the drill size for a m14 heli coil is 14.3mm so the thread hole in frame is already larger than that.

tjagain

@There are other options as well. I take it there is a thru axle? thats screws into that bit? Tunrd down the end of the axle to a smaller size and cut a thread on it and then fit a top hat sleeve nut? any decent engineering shop will be able to provide a solution for you

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Think I may have found a solution if tap doesn’t work!
    Going through the SC tech sheets the Bronson V2 uses the same dimension pivot bolt except with a 1.5 pitch thread.
    Found this on line
    https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/recoil-37158-m15-x-1-5-pro-xl-medium-fine-thread-repair-kit?gclid=CNCc-Ma69tMCFcgp0wod7a0IUQ

So all hope is not lost without having to go down the engineering route.

Phew!

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas!

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Santa Cruz can supply a new swing arm if all else fails for only……..£300! Gulp!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a result, I’d be doing that rather than some half arsed bodge.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I’m not really a SC fanboi but I must commend their customer service here. Second what nobeer says.

tjagain

a proper engineering solution is not a bodge

andyl
    Free Member

Going through the SC tech sheets the Bronson V2 uses the same dimension pivot bolt except with a 1.5 pitch thread.

Probably as they were stripping.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

a proper engineering solution is not a bodge

Building up an aluminium frame with weld, without heat treating, is a bodge.

But then, you are an expert on absolutely everything, so carry on.

tjagain

no beer – I suggested taking it to a proper engineering shop and suggest a couple of ways it might be fixed. If that is not a good idea then the engineering shop would be able to tell him.

Edit – and for what its worth I have had a few bits of alloy welded by experts in the past with no issues. Experts being the key thing

fooman

As someone who has successfully had a cracked alloy frame welded and retapped, I’d prefer to buy a £300 part, to save the time and effort it took.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Welding would be a non no in my view – without heat treating. And that’s not viable or any kind of guarantee tbh…

You haven’t completely destroyed the thread, there is more than enough metal in there to successfully repair with this:

http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/j-b-weld-epoxy-adhesive/j-b-weld-original-epoxy-adhesive

Make sure you completely de-grease first and take care when you re tap the hole

carlos
    Free Member

ssbnreso

Nobeerinthefridge
    That’s a result, I’d be doing that rather than some half arsed bodge.

tuskaloosa
    I’m not really a SC fanboi but I must commend their customer service here. Second what nobeer says.

Okay £300 is prob more than an engineering repair is going to cost you but imo, as you have the option for a new swing arm it’s a no brainier.

A mate of mine had pivot bolt issues on his 5010, fortunately he was the OO and SC replaced the frame. Pretty sure the V2 5010 link/pivot is different to combat this

My2p

Carlos

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Stripped thread SC Bronson…….argghhhh!’ is closed to new replies.