Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stripped thread on cranks -repairable?
  • vinnyeh

I’ve stripped the driveside pedal thread on a crankset (SLX triple) – can this be helicoiled or similar? Anyone had this done and able to give me an idea of the cost and who can do it? Or is the crank set for the skip?

haggis1978

did you strip the thread or is it slightly threaded on the first few threads? if its the latter then screw in the pedal from the opposite side and this should help. if you stripped the thread completely please tell me how on earth you managed that? 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

helicoils or inserts can be done but its a non standard thread so hard to find

What haggis said with the screwing it in from the back trick.
    Also, if you’ve got a scrap pedal, hacksaw some slots along the thread and use that. It will act as a sort of improvised tap.

vinnyeh

Completely stripped I’m afraid. Rode the bike for a few minutes with a loose pedal, which started the problem, a half day in the alps finished the job.

vinnyeh

helicoils or inserts can be done but its a non standard thread so hard to find

Is there anybody who does this as a matter of course- betd were the first name to spring to mind but I can’t see anything on the website, will have to call them I guess.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The eggrings bloke at Highpath Engineering used to do this sort of repair

Ambrose
    18BikesMatt
    Free Member

We can do it, would need to see the crank first, but providing we can do it, half an hours labour so £15

Matt

vinnyeh

thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stripped thread on cranks -repairable?’ is closed to new replies.