Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Stripped thread issue – I feel sick
  • banjowhacker
    Free Member

Just building my Orange 5 up after having had it powder coated. Was tightening up the pivot bearing pinch bolt on the swingarm (really not very tight) when it lost grip and started spinning. My heart stopped and my fears were confirmed when half the heli coil popped out on the end of the bolt…
    This is a really awkward "C" shaped clamp that looks like it would be awkward/diffucult to tap. What do i do? I'm going to go to my LBS tomorrow to see if they can help. Otherwis i'll call Orange on Monday and will see what they say.
    I feel sick.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

oops

jobbyheid
    Free Member

glue a new helicoil in?

djglover
    Free Member

This happened to my road bike, on one of the bottle cage holes, after I'd had it powdercoated. Did they / you block up the holes?

igm

When I stripped the thread on the dust cover on my Five's pivot I popped into Holywell Green at lunch time and Orange sorted it while I waited – no charge. Thank you Mr Orange.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Well. I suppose if Orange managed to tap it in the first place, it is doable with the right tools, so maybe a new heli coil could be inserted… I bloody hope so! 🙁
    (FYI, the clamps and bolt holes were all properly masked)

carlphillips
    Free Member

wurth timesert…

banjowhacker
    Free Member

wurth timesert…

But how to fit it when access is fouled by a "C" shaped clamp???

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the helicoil has ripped the thread that is is inserted into then you have problems but someone posted on here a solution that would work – a thread insert of a different sort
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/heli-coil-or-nut-insert

Or you can get a threaded bush inserted and retapped

edit :Dang too slow

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Still feeling sick…

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I have spoken with people from a couple of LBSs in Brighton. Sounds like a sensible solution lies with Orange. I'll call them on Monday. If they can't help then i think i can drill through the hole and then drill another hole in the swing arm 😯 to allow me to insert a nut and use a longer bolt.
    I'm feeling better about it. I now believe that it is fixable, even if Orange can't tap a new thread.

PJ266
    Free Member

Worst outcome is a new swingarm innit? at least the whole frame isnt fubar'd.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Never been a fan of heli-coil. I'd avoid them.

How much metal do you have left around it? I'd re-tap.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

it is helicoiled initially i think zd

fergusd

Helicoil (or similar threaded insert) is the only sensible system to use for fasteners in alloy . . . much, much more robust than a thread in alloy, no matter how careful you are alloy threads always fail, properly installed helicoils are much stronger . . .

banjowhacker
    Free Member

"C" shaped clamp means that unless there is a fancy tapping tool at Orange HQ you can't get access to the bolt hole… Here's a piccy i took earlier.

I reckon if it can't be tapped, then i'll just have to drill out the thread and work out some way to locate a nut inside the swingarm and use a longer bolt. Not ideal, but it would certainly be strong enough. Again, I hope!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Which hole has lost its thread? If you can get a bolt into it you can get a tap I would have thought

mttm
    Free Member

Hi,

I had this on mine – perils of buying a secondhand frame… Anyway, chaps at Orange were adamant it could be helicoiled and it was nearly on its way to them when I tried a much simpler solution. The stock bolt on mine was about 30mm long (giving about 10mm of thread engagement) so I tried a 45mm bolt. Turned out there was a lot more thread in that hole than was strictly necessary. Worked just fine, and that was about two years ago now. I am very careful with the torque on that bolt, though. Orange recommend about 14Nm (IIRC), I use 10 and that does the job.

The original thread damage on mine wasn't too severe, though – partially stripped / rounded rather than stripped bare.

PJ266
    Free Member

TJ's right, the tap wouldnt be any bigger than the bolt would it!

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Surely the tap would be bigger than the bolt because it's got to make a hole that would accommodate the helicoil, which the bolt would then go in?
    Great news mttm. That's reassuring. Thanks. 🙂

BigJohn

I thought this thread was about a very niche issue of the mag.

mmb
    Free Member

don,t drill it yet,there is such a thing as threadlock glue (loctite 638 etc)this is expensive however, try contacting a local engineering company and begging for a small amount,remember to clean surfaces with thinners etc before applying glue then screw in helicoil,allow 24 hrs to dry.good luck.

singlespeedstu

Nothing is worse than that feeling you get when a thread lets go. 😥

unsponsored
    Free Member

Yup, I've had that sick feeling. Rounded the head on a heckler 07 swing arm pinch bolt.

carlphillips
    Free Member

that looks absolutely ok to fix, as already mentioned above the clearance hole will allow for a tap.

happy days

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I have spoken with Ben at Orange. He seems confident that a new, bigger thread can be tapped and a bigger bolt inserted (all of this if a new helicoil can't be inserted into the current thread). My frame's out of warranty now but he reckons it will take less than an hour of workshop time, so probably no more than £50 cost to me. Swingarm's going in post today.
    I am happy, of sorts 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

for a more cost effective fix a local engineering firm would be my choice, get a good one though!! my local one is run by a mtber so he is ace with any repairs.
    £50 + postage for a tapped hole is bloody expensive. it takes less than 5 mins really.

on the flip side at least with orange they know their product.

let us know how you get on..

nickegg
    Free Member

No luck with a longer bolt then?

banjowhacker
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard, agree about cost. I could go to my LBS who have the tools to do this. However, the cost to worry ratio for Orange's fix is acceptable.

nickegg i didn't try the long bolt. I think it would have been a bit of a bodge, and i don't think £50 is too excessive for more significant peace of mind.
    🙂

MadBillMcMad

I'd get it resprayed again as well while your at it.

only joking – seriously – hope you get it fixed OK.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sometimes you just can't put a price on piece of mind..i understand that.
    hope all goes well.

peakmonster
    Free Member

Easy fix u just need a step down boss making by local engineering firm.
    Take bolt larger than existing.
    Drill out existing hole and re tap to larger size
    make bush with thread on outer or use bolt of said larger size.
    Drill and tap with lathe the original thread down the inside.
    Partially part off wall at correct depth.
    Screw into new hole with loctite and break off at partially parted off section.
    Chean up with file.
    Simples.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

peakmonster, i think you're forgetting that it's a "C" shaped clamp, so access to the hole is via another hole…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Shouldn't worry, I've just had two thermocouples fail before they've even been used. Thats 75 quids worth of sensors failed during assembly.

Trekster

tis fixable by an engineering firm, not a bike shop with tools 😉

As peakmonster says

banjowhacker
    Free Member

tis fixable by an engineering firm, not a bike shop with tools

Weeeeeell, i'm hoping that all it needs is a new helicoil in the current thread, which my LBS could do. But why risk it if it needs something more brutal? I also know of no local engineering firms, good or bad 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

djglover – Member

This happened to my road bike, on one of the bottle cage holes, after I'd had it powdercoated. Did they / you block up the holes?

Still not fixed, but it's doing sterling service as a commuter 🙂

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Swingarm back from Orange with new helicoil. All looks good. I will fit it tonight.
    🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Every Christmas stocking should have an Orange of some description in it, innit.

stabilizers

I had exactly the same problem at the beginning of the year trying to get my swing arm bearings replaced. The bearings are totally seized on and I stripped the thread as a result of a little bit too much grunt.
    Dilemma was solved by the formula: 2004 frame + ~20% cost of new frame = 2004 frame.
    I bought a new 2009 frame. All the existing kit went straight back on the new frame. Very happy with the new geometry.

I might still get the old frame repaired at £50 but I think the real problem is getting the old bearing off.

Note to all 5 owners. Change your swing arm bearing every couple of years regardless.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Stripped thread issue – I feel sick’ is closed to new replies.