Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripped rotor bolt hole on Pro2
  • yoshimi

Had my Pro2’s for about 3 years or so, when refitting a rotor one of the bolts just keeps spinning-anything I can do? Is it dangerous just with 5 bolts or should I just carry on? Don’t really fancy forking out fir a new hub when otherwise it’s perfect

tinsy
    Free Member

5’s plenty, if you do want to fix it you could get it helicoiled, but no idea how much that would be.

jova54
    Free Member

Is there enough material to drill out, re-thread and fit a helicoil insert?

kimbers

i have with xt hubs put an extra long bolt in and threaded it through a nut on the other side

saying that im sure 5 bolts will be fine

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’d just threadlock or epoxy it in, just to stop it rattling out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Whatever you do, it’s certain death next time you brake!

tinsy
    Free Member

Is there enough material to drill out, re-thread and fit a helicoil insert?

I would think so, a engineering shop could advise you better though.

Joxster
    Free Member

I’ve used helicoils on lots of threads, it’s simple to do and the kit’s don’t cost much. A helicoiled thread is stronger than the original so in some cases I’ve helicoiled them before I start to use them if there is a chance of lots of use on that thread.

Helicoil kits here

clubber
    Free Member

Just leave it – 5 bolts is more than enough (I’ve actually done this for a couple of years and I tend to kill stuff that isn’t up to the job…)

benjag
    Free Member

I’ve got Kennedy m5 and m6 helicoli kits from cromwell tools for about £20 each. If you live anywhere near Doncaster/Lincoln I could do it for you. I got mine to do a pinch bolt on my boxxer axle which the previous owner had mangled.

yoshimi

THanks for the offer benjag but I’m all the way over in Chorley – from what I’ve heard here I’ll get it helicoiled aqt some point, but not as worried now…………..watch this space in about 12months time when I eventually get round to it 🙂

mugsys_m8

I stripped one on Mrs Mugsys bike (XT hub). I carried out an internal risk assessment and deemd it to be ok, if not the finest piece of mechanical competence and kept quiet…

3 years later still ok.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripped rotor bolt hole on Pro2’ is closed to new replies.