Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripped pedal thread in crank
  • Curly68
    Free Member

I have got hold of a pair of M770 XT cranks and the drive side pedal thread has been stripped. I can get hold of a helicoil set but have to buy 10 at a time, which doesn’t work out too cheap!
    Does anyone know of anywhere that can fix this or shall I just scrap the cranks?
    Thanks

rob-jackson
    Free Member

can you not rethread/chase it? Put the other pedal in the thread from the back of the crank arm??

porter_jamie

Care to walk us through that one?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

You could take it to your LBS and get them to chase the thread – they’ll have the tap for it.
    I’ve done it in the past and it’s still holding up 2 years later.
    Of course, if you have really, massively stripped it then they’re probably scrap but it’s worth a shot.

Good luck!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its not rocket science

porter_jamie

No, it’s not. I dont get the other pedal bit.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Some good bike shops have helicoil sets in the workshops just for this i used to when i was at lifecycles used to charge about £25 to do it all in so cheaper than a helicoil tap set and coils and if the cranks are in good nick its gotta be worth £25 to save a set of m770’s

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

indeed – its not the other pedal you need – you can try threading the pedal thru from the back – the other pedal is the other hand thread

globalti
    Free Member

Clean it all up, swamp the threads in plumber’s flux, assemble, heat with blowlamp and dribble in lots of solder.

It will be permanent, mind you, until you get the blowlamp out again.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Don’t try winding the other pedal in from the back as the threads are different. Try winding the RH pedal in from the back which might tidy the thread enough.

If not then a good LBS should be able to re-tap and sleeve the thread with the correct pedal thread

Curly68
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Will pop down the only decent local bike shop and see what they can do for me. Definitely worth saving imo.

mickeydrippin60
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripped pedal thread in crank’ is closed to new replies.