Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripped my XT Cranks, what are my options!?!?!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I know helicoiling is an option but why isnt there an easier option like a top hat stylie steel flange thing that i can just push in from the backside of the arm?

anyone with experience?

steveh

A longer bolt and nut is the easiest option.

alexxx
    Free Member

sorry to be clearer, its the pedal thread that has stripped
    cheers

sweepy
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    I know helicoiling is an option but why isnt there an easier option like a top hat stylie steel flange thing that i can just push in from the backside of the arm?

You should invent that, I'd buy one.

alexxx
    Free Member

its stupid isnt it? something so simple made so complicated… load of biking bollocks as usual!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

There is, it's just that it's fitted as standard to SLX double and Saint cranks, and you can't buy it as a spare part AFAIK.
    It would be good if it were made available like the old skool dropout savers though, I agree.

alexxx
    Free Member

Sounds like someone needs to get on the case for me 😀

DT78
    Free Member

A fairly permanent solution to your problem is to araldite the pedal into the crank. You'll probably get another seasons use out of it at least, then chuck it for a new set.

alexxx
    Free Member

No other options :(?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If it's as a result of your pedal coming undone, then usually you've just strip the end of the thread, so there might still be plenty of usable thread inside. Could you try getting it retapped at your LBS?. Or maybe, can you screw the pedal in fron the other side? that might retap the thread enough, so's you can screw it in normally again. Tho, it might take some fiddling to get it to screw in correctly.

iainc

I did the same things a few yrs ago. I had got a new Park Tool pedal spanner that was much longer than my old one….tightened up with 'usual' amount of arm force and just as I was about to stop pushing it the spanner spun round and the thread was a gonner….. the crankset went in the bin and I now use less force !

bigyinn
    Free Member

Helicoil is prob your best bet, but like the thought of a top hat thing, although you'd need something to stop it turning with the pedal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripped my XT Cranks, what are my options!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.