Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • stripped bb repair steel sleeve/insert ?
  • banjax34
    Free Member

does anyone do a steel sleeve or insert for a knackered bottom bracket thread on an ally frame? i would prefer a time sert type repair than a helicoil….

simondbarnes

Pretty sure that BETD will do it

Speshpaul

is it really screwed?
    Often the threads can be chased up with a tap and some bearing lock with do the trick.

banjax34
    Free Member

Yeah non drive side is gone ,hope bearing cup just pushes in, thread on frame is flattened

rob1984p
    Free Member

Argos used to do sleeves, but they are £60+ if I remember correctly, if it’s a frame that’s more of sentimental value I’d be tempted to glue the cup in as you should be able to pull the bearing out of the cup without removing it from the frame if and when you need to.

takisawa2

Someone (probably SJS), used to do a special unthreaded bottom bracket, way back in sq taper days…

I had a steel frame sleeved once, to convert to an English BB, not sure about alloy.

I managed to chase a BB clean once, by chopping a steel cup into 4 (like wedges of cheese), then carefully getting one of the segments in to the thread & working it outwards on the thread. Plenty of oil to help it along.

jock-muttley

Yep you can get square taper push fit BBs specifically for this issue but finding them is an issue, I’ll have a dig about, it’s a german firm that does them

jimc101
    Free Member

Velo Orange make a threadless BB Square taper though

julianwilson
    Free Member

charliethebikemonger.com sells ‘threadless’ square taper bb’s for stripped threads.
    Here.

Phil_H

Argoscycles used to do bottom bracket repair sleeves

I think it’s Race Face who do a DH BB with deeper cups with a longer thread.
    It’s worth a try as a cheap option. If a standard short cup has only wrecked the outer threads, a deeper cup might pick on the good threads further in.

Speshpaul

“Yeah non drive side is gone ,hope bearing cup just pushes in, thread on frame is flattened “

Flattened, so still there. it not like they have stripped out – come out like a long coiled wire. I’d still get that chased out before doing anything else.

damascus
    Free Member

Can you re cut the thread? Re tap it? Put it in from the good side and send it all the way through,

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Father in law had a marin bb shel experly repaired buy a guy in Coventry / birmingham area proper job abd had it powder coated too, top job i can get details if you want no worries.

Cheers Mark

Fantombiker

I had this issue with a titanium frame. I bought the Velo Orange grand cru threadless BB. So far after about 500 miles feels like a very good solution. The downside is you may need a new crank.

banjax34
    Free Member

update…. tried to re-tap with the help of Ryan at Oak Cycles (in a next door unit)) but no luck so frame went to argos racing cycles in bristol today for a bb sleeve and hopefully back before the weekend !

banjax34
    Free Member

got frame back from argos cycles yesterday and it’s looking good, will start rebuild tomorrow !
    [/img]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘stripped bb repair steel sleeve/insert ?’ is closed to new replies.