Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Strictly Speaking (Dark Side Question)
  • Stumpi
    Free Member

What size bike should I be on. With my inside leg (82cm) most guides say 54.94cm bike. 82 x .67 = 54.94 so 54 or 56 right?

I’ve mountainbiked for years, ridden the transalp, placed in regional races, the lot. I’m not racing anymore and still have an mtb but due to my location now its more practical to own a road bike too.

So, I picked myself up a 56cm Spesh Allez and set about upgrading (as you do :-)) and I love the bike.

When I went to buy it I thought 56cm would be too big but sat on it and rode it for a while, it felt pretty good so as the price was right snapped it up. Problem is, and I’m not sure if its just that I’ve spent so long on mountain bikes but I just cant seem to get to feeling “efficient” on it. Does that make sense? My seat leg height is good, I shortened the stem to 80mm and that makes my reach feel right but I just dont feel happy on it.

Anyone else suffer from this? is it the bike or me?

So, I’m 5’9″ 82cm inside leg, normal proportions.

Maybe I just need to get used to the position etc.

martymac

i have 78cm inside leg, and normally use a 54cm road frame, i have tried a 56 but i found reach was a problem.
    in what way do you feel inefficient?
    edit: how far back is your seat? you may need to bring it forward a cm or 2.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Had it quite a long way forward, certainly past central and have now gone back to central.
    I dunno, I just dont feel at home on it.

Regards reach, I have to say I “feel” like it fits ok, but am just uncomfortable all the time.
    I also know that when I put my foor down on my MTB that I get a good return of forward motion whereas I dont get that sam esensation with the Allez.

Wierd I know.

cynic-al
    Free Member

56 sounds about right. As above you can play with saddle position. BAr position, sti angle etc too – my own set up is not radical but different to most.

It also just takes time to get used to a road bike and the position etc.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Yeh, I’m hoping its just a time on the bike thing..
    Thanks for the comments

Digger90
    Free Member

Despite the industry sizing bikes by seat tube height, the effective top tube length is by far the most important consideration, especially so on a road bike.

Try different frame sizes until you find the right length frame for you.

tarquin
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my road bike the past 3-4 months, jumped on my MTB this weekend and the difference was huge.

Felt a lot smaller and harder to maintain good speed while pedally, like my fitness had gone back 4 months to before I started riding again.

STATO
    Free Member

Regarding reach, the straight section of the bar will usually be a smidge closer to your seat than on your MTB, so when you slide forward to the brakes/hoods its a bit more stretched but not too much. Obviously its all personal preference but thats where i usually start. Also note bar/saddle drop, this can have an effect on how it feels, if your feeling its to much reach then sometimes it can be down to bar height. Again, try and match the difference on your mtb as a start point.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve gone too big, an 80mm stem is incredibly short for a 56cm road bike. Yes you’ve now got the reach you want, but my guess is that it’s out in relation to the bike. Climbing must be horrible
    Reckon a 54 with a bit of post and ‘starting point 110 stem’ would have been right.

You’re turning a road bike into a mountainbike, they’re totally different animals and set ups bear no relationship to each other, but I’m just as guilty with my MTB and it’s 120 stem and 560 bars.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Digger90 – Member

Despite the industry sizing bikes by seat tube height, the effective top tube length is by far the most important consideration, especially so on a road bike.

I’d agree, though I always look at head tube height, to avoid a garden gate or stack of stupid looking spacers.

OP you’ve not said how long you’ve had the bike, it can take a while to get used to the position/find what’s right for you – it’s so different to mtb riding, as you aren’t moving around the position is much more important, and it is different to what you are used to anyway.

carbon337
    Free Member

I’m 179cm and I’d be on a 56 specialized. Currently on a 58 cube but that’s just funny sizing it’s actually a 56cm TT and that’s what counts.

Sounds like you have gone a size too big imo. The store shouldn’t have sold you it really.

This is the problem when people by roadbikes coming from MTB where fit isn’t as important.

You could try a £130 bike fit and see if they can save you needing to spend more on another new bike. If you buy a new bike please go to somewhere decent with good experience of road bikes.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Sounds like you could be a 54 or a 56, depending on preference. I’m about the same height and have had Specialized road bikes in both sizes and find I can get comfortable on both but marginally prefer the reach on a 54.

crftom
    Free Member

If you have put a stem of 80mm to make the the bike “fit” I would say its way to big for you

john_l
    Free Member

I’m going to say too big as well – 56.5cm effective top tube.

jonba
    Free Member

Sounds a bit big from your measurements.

I ride a 56cm (at 5’10”) with long legs. I think if I replaced the bike I’d go for a 54cm and a longer stem. Currently got a 100mm.

FWIW spend some time on it. Coming from a mountain bike road bikes feel really weird at first and take some getting used to. You can google for fitting instructions to get your seat and saddle position correct. HAve a play before you decide to buy or sell anything.

Photo of setup and side on of you riding would help.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m 5’ll and have a 56 Allez I would say its to large and the 54 would be the correct size, although one bike shop said I needed a 54 and the Specialized Concept store said I needed a 58 which felt to big and the 54 felt to small, I would of liked to of taken a 58 for a spin though just to see what it felt like to ride, (I only sat on them in the shop :roll:)

crikey
    Free Member

I suspect you’ve got the full ‘mountain biker on a road bike’ thing going on.

Using a relatively short stem suggests to me that you’ve not fully embraced the long and low idea behind a road bike, and that you’re trying to make it fit like a mountain bike lite. I’m 5’8″ and happily ride 56ish frames for the longer reach. It takes time to feel comfy in a longer, lower, stretched out position; you need a few hundred miles at least to get accustomed to it.

My generalized, not-seen-you, internet rubbish advice would be to buy at least a 90mm stem and spend 2-300 miles riding like that, in the drops as much as possible, to train you into a different style of riding.
    Current mountain bike fashion is for short stems and wide bars, road bikes ate the complete opposite of this, aiming for long, low and narrow. It doesn’t come overnight, and won’t come from chucking money at a bike fitting.

TiRed

At 5’9″, I think you are right between sizes for Specialized. I’d say that the bike is a little too large. But it is yours, so adjust the stem as others have said. Or perhaps the bars (shorter reach). When you upgrade next time, look at other brands, because the geometries are not consistent. Effective Top Tube length is everything, and I’d say you probably need a 55cm ETT.

Says Mr Average a 5’10.5″ 56cm riding male with measurement at the median for Bike Fit (shoulders aside).

damo2576
    Free Member

can you touch your toes?

crftom
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and happily ride 56ish

Really? have you got your saddle on the top tube !

MrSmith
    Free Member

i’m 6ft1 and ride a 56. proof that anecdotal sizing over the internet is next to useless.
    get a proper fitting in a good road bike shop, worth it in time/money saved faffing with a badly fitting bike.

druidh
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    i’m 6ft1 and ride a 56. proof that anecdotal sizing over the internet is next to useless.

+1

I’ve ridden road bikes sized all the way from 53cm to 56cm. Even within a single manufacturer there is a lot of variation. You really need to sit on a few bikes and find out what fits.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    I’ve ridden a few more times now, put about 300km more on it and have concentrated on riding on the drops.
    I have to say I’m getting a lot more comfortable. I’m now up to 33kph average over an hour and am also starting to get that feeling of efficiency I was so craving.

I’ll try and get a side on pic so you can see though. Good advice, thank you.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Strictly Speaking (Dark Side Question)’ is closed to new replies.