• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stretches to help drop heels…?
  • tubthumped
    Free Member

I’m noticing recently that i’m not dropping my heels as much when riding. When I make a conscious effort to drop them more, im getting a tight feeling down the front of my shins.

I’m guessing that I’ve lost a little flexibility – Normally I don’t seem to have the issue but recently it’s crept in. I’ve put it down to the fact I’ve cut gym time down drastically to enjoy the summer and the reduction in deads, squats etc etc means I’m not moving muscles and joints through the extreme range of motions I was doing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can incorporate into a normal day-to-day life that will help improve/maintain my range of movement…?

nedrapier

Facing up the stairs, toes/ball of the foot on the bottom step, drop your heels, bending your knees will stretch the bottom of your calf more, locking your knees back will stretch the muscles at the top of your calf more.

Milkie
    Free Member

Number 1 & 2 have helped me loosen up my calves/achilles.

edward2000
    Free Member

I find this the most effective way to stretch the calf. Probably want to look at hamstrings, glutes, quads and hip flexors too – its all connected innit.

I highly, highly recommend pilates, i think its ace.

ahwiles
    Free Member

tubthumped – Member

I’m noticing recently that i’m not dropping my heels as much when riding. When I make a conscious effort to drop them more, im getting a tight feeling down the front of my shins.

ok, i’m guessing too, but i guess that you’re ‘willing’ your heels lower by trying to raise your toes – using your shin (?) muscles.

stop doing this, and relax.

(dropping your heels is a calf stretch, not a shin stretch)

tubthumped
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll start using the above to build up some flexibility again.

edward2000 – Yes, it’s the whole set (hip flexors, glutes, hams etc) that are tighter. Basically all of the chain that I usually keep in check with the gym work.

ahwiles – Good observation! I’d not thought of it that way, and you’re right. When I notice i’m not as deep in my riding position as usual I’m trying to lower my heels by raising my toes. Confirmed by recreating the thought process and action whilst sat in the office! lol

DanW
    Free Member

stop doing this, and relax.

This!

It is nothing about flexibility, you are using the muscles at the front of your lower leg to raise your toes, rather than relax and let your heel drop

edit: took too long to reply sorry!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stretches to help drop heels…?’ is closed to new replies.