Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Stress at work – time to see the doctor? But for what?
  • timba
    Free Member

IME being signed off and drugs don’t actually solve anything, and as you point out might have a negative effect on your next job application

Counselling via your GP might take a while for an appointment to be available, but ask

I went for private counselling sessions paid for by work, and you can get some very good counselling at a low price through various charities

Counselling helped me to realise what I needed to do, as well as helping to deal with the issues so that they didn’t keep going around in my head. It worked for me

jamj1974

Sounds very similar to an experience of mine OP – so you definitely are not on your own here. It can be a complex situation but some simple practical steps can help you deal with the situation and this can make life a lot easier. For me I found a blend of engagement with Occupational Health, counselling and also anti-depressants did help.

All the best,

J

badnewz
    Free Member

Sounds like a rough time. Get well soon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

I hope it gets better. It sounds like there are a few issues at work, deal with them head on and stop covering for what you clearly see as problems you are helping to hide.

Also:

beiciwr64 – Member
    Kuò?n Sh?yu?n’s Ten Bulls

Mindfulness

On page 1 – I use a different book but event the first three pages of the Mindfulness link would be very useful for you to read, it won’t take long. Don’t be fooled into thinking Mindfulness is a Buddhist religious direction, it really works and helps. Thats link is a very good succinct text that you could read in less than a lunch hour – it’ll be worth the effort.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fair enough. Your life and all that. Good luck. I look back at that phase of my life as a good learning experience though it sucked whilst I was wallowing around in it. Suicidal thoughts are not a great place to be. I stand by my advice if it is something you can control you should. Friend of mine has cancer, that puts things in perspective.

You know a lot of psychological issues, such as bipolar disorder are rooted in neurobiology – and hence are as physical and almost as out of control as cancer. Right?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

I have no idea who his boss actually is after 4 months! Civil service HR are sod all use at anything to be honest.

Some good advice in here, but we seem to have glossed over this, and for me it’s the most shocking part. You seriously don’t know who your the boss of your boss is after four months there? I’d be on the phone to HR demanding a name, immediately, and then straight on to the employee grievance process if it’s not forthcoming. It’s absolutely unacceptable for any company, public or private sector, to not let you know who your manager is reporting to. Otherwise who do you approach with any authority over him if he pulls the kind of stunts yours has been?

brassneck

See your GP. Someone dear to me had a very tough time at work, but leaving it didn’t cure the symptoms (panic attacks, not sleeping, spasms the works) even though now in a better place and new job. Having now been on treatment for around 6-8 months, is feeling better mentally than she has in her whole life (her words) which suggests there was something underneath that work was just a trigger for. Virtually everyone seems to have an anecdote about how bad someone felt on medication, just thought I’d redress that a little – not too say it’s the case for you.

The job won’t help and you’ll have to decide if you want to persevere, but my experience is that you usually know inside a couple of months if it’s somewhere you want to stay. Good luck, and remember no job is worth health and happiness.. something I did learn from a similar experience are that there are a lot worse things than being bored at work occasionally 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks again for the experiences, ideas and feedback, especially those who have contacted me outside the forum.

Work has been the catalyst for a few other issues as well, I guess, but it seems that nothing compares to the stress of getting an appointment out of a GPs receptionist 😥

DrP

Probably because your gp is also off/quit due to stress and burn out..!

DrP

MoreCashThanDash

Dealing with assholes like me, probably, DrP

Actually, he’s just announced his retirement to spend more time with his Audi R8, and I think he’s definitely earned it.

And another thank you for that link to the Mindfulness book – first few pages are pretty spot on

DT78
    Free Member

You know a lot of psychological issues, such as bipolar disorder are rooted in neurobiology – and hence are as physical and almost as out of control as cancer. Right?

The chap is talking about stress at work. My advice is to remove yourself from the stressful situation. If symptoms persist then maybe it is a disorder. From the description it sounds like someone having a tough time at work who doesn’t feel empowered to dig themselves out rather than something more serious….someone telling me to pick myself up and move on was what I needed at the time. OP situation sounds similar to what happened to me.

Work isn’t like a prison sentence – you don’t have to be there, there are lots of other things out there, which you might enjoy and be great at. Why stay in a situation you have identified as unheathly unless you absolutely have to?

Anyway whatever you do, good luck, its not nice whilst you are there, but have confidence you’ll sort it. Avoid meds and being signed off unless the GP genuinely thinks it is going to benefit you.

Kryton57

And another thank you for that link to the Mindfulness book – first few pages are pretty spot on

Keep reading. This thread reminded me I hadn’t spent anytime meditating for a while. 45 mins in a comfy char upstairs has me much calmer and (properly) enjoying a simple lunch.

Work isn’t like a prison sentence – you don’t have to be there,

This. Don’t be afraid that people will view you as a failure. Even if the problem is you (and it doesn’t sound like it is at all), most people have a situation they can’t deal with. Don’t persevere toward illness with bravado, move onto to something you are good at, suits you and you can enjoy.

johni
    Free Member

I’ve found walking round the office today with a 24hour blood pressure monitor on has helped my boss notice how much stress he causes.

Just as he tried to dump more of his work on me the pump started going and he changed his mind. I might wear the pump every day! 🙂

I’ve had similar issues recently but decided to accept not doing my work to my usual high standards for a while and doing what keeps me sane and only moderately stressed. I’m riding my bike more and no-one seems to have noticed.

Kryton57

I’ve had similar issues recently but decided to accept not doing my work to my usual high standards for a while and doing what keeps me sane and only moderately stressed

In my experience, sometimes you can moan, shout and bitch as much as you like, but its only when you let things fail that people pay attention. So a) tell boss b) if ignored email boss so its in writing c) if ignored and its legitimate to do so, let it fail as its not your problem any more.

timba
    Free Member

…and don’t forget that stress is an H&S issue. That can concentrate the minds of management

squirrelking
    Free Member

The chap is talking about stress at work. My advice is to remove yourself from the stressful situation. If symptoms persist then maybe it is a disorder. From the description it sounds like someone having a tough time at work who doesn’t feel empowered to dig themselves out rather than something more serious….someone telling me to pick myself up and move on was what I needed at the time. OP situation sounds similar to what happened to me.

Work isn’t like a prison sentence – you don’t have to be there, there are lots of other things out there, which you might enjoy and be great at. Why stay in a situation you have identified as unheathly unless you absolutely have to?

Which is quite right.

Sorry I went off on one but the simplistic MTFU attitude doesn’t come across as helpful, it just smells of the ‘cheer up’ attitude some folk have towards depression. I do agree though that the OP needs to empower themselves to get out of the situation, just not in the same words. If you can’t tell I’m still rather bitter about the whole affair despite the fact it was 2 years ago and my then team leader has since been sent back from whence he came and replaced with someone who actually wanted to do the job rather than have the power.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Stress at work – time to see the doctor? But for what?’ is closed to new replies.