Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strengthening a wheel
  • nickf
    Free Member

I commute through London on a Dahon Mu SL, which is a lovely little bike – light, nippy, easy to fold.

A problem has arisen in that I keep breaking spokes in the rear wheel. The bike has a 105kg limit, and I’m 10kg below that, so although weight will be a factor, I suspect my habit of hopping off kerbs is at least as much of a problem. And yes, I’m sure I should have got stronger wheels to start with, but I didn’t.

Anyway, I’m looking to strengthen the wheel – does rebuilding with BMX spokes or the like seem a good idea? I can’t think of anything else to do with a 16-spoke wheel.

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=105156&o=105170

foxyrider
    Free Member

Set it in concrete ? 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

build it with a proper spoke pattern.

HTH

epicyclo

I reckon it’s worth a go. It won’t add much weight.

I suspect if one spoke goes on those wheels, the rest get overstressed and should be replaced as well – or at least the neighbouring spokes.

I’ve got a bike with those wheels but haven’t managed to break a spoke yet even though they have had some abuse.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

You could tie the spokes. Never tried it though.

nickf
    Free Member

Cheers Foxy, but Kev of Grand Designs keeps telling me that concrete’s environmentally unfriendly so I’ll have to give that one a miss.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Are you breaking spokes on both sides or just the drive side?

If it’s just on the drive side you could replace the spokes with plain gauge/single butted (assuming they’re DB). As the drive side spokes are the tightest on the bicycle (in terms of the amount they can stretch) they don’t have the opportunity to flex as much and lose the benefit of being double butted so you might be better off with a heavier spoke that isn’t so elastic.

EDIT:
    Just had a look at those wheels and have no experience with them. Assume the rear is still dished? Guess my theory would still apply?

nickf
    Free Member

The wheel’s not dished, as far as I know – certainly the spokes are all equal length.

Am going for the strongest spokes I can find, and let’s see what happens. If I keep damaging the wheel I’ll just have to get a more suitable one.

rootes1

get a wheel with a proper number of spokes.

nickc

Trouble with wheels with less spokes is that the spokes have to have higher tension in order to compensate, and often when one goes, the rest can’t handle the load and are weakened. So once one has gone others will follow, either re-spoke the whole lot at once, and make sure they’re really tight, or get a wheel with more spokes.

nickf
    Free Member

Rootes, I know I need to get a wheel with more spokes, but given that I already have the rim and the bub, neither of which can have any more spokes added, I’m kind of stuck.

So I’m rebuilding it with the strongest spokes I can (replacing all of the current ones), and hoping that it will hold. I also need to stop hopping off kerbs, I guess. And I guess laying off the pies wouldn’t hurt….

rootes1

there is no dish on those wheels as the none drive flange is move towards the centre of the hub to mirror the driveside location..

rootes1

So I’m rebuilding it with the strongest spokes I can (replacing all of the current ones), and hoping that it will hold. I also need to stop hopping off kerbs, I guess. And I guess laying off the pies wouldn’t hurt….

yep good move on doing all spokes..

perhaps a fatter softer tyre as well?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strengthening a wheel’ is closed to new replies.