• This topic has 56 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by SamB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Strength Training & Cycling. Correct balance?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

keen to hear from others regarding how much they do in a single strength training session and how many days you feel tender muscles for post gym?

My Monday session went along the lines. I do 2 sessions/week which pretty much are the same.

3 * 15 deadlifts
    3 * 12 barbell squats
    3 * 10 weighted walking lunges
    3 * 10 Weighted sit ups
    3 * 15 Kettle bell swings
    3 * 15 Kettle bell squats
    3 * 10 Renegade rows
    3 * 10 press ups
    Core work

These sessions have really helped give me a strong core and posterior chain and I no longer suffer from lower back issues when doing long rides. Trouble is, I think they are pretty hard going and at 44 years of age I struggle to recover in a single day and feel as though they are becoming detrimental to my cycling.

If you were going to cut this down to a more manageable set so that recovery isn’t such an issue yet still get the benefits of strength training sessions what would you advise?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m pretty poor at this too. Having said that: that looks like a lot of reps & exercises.

depends on %ge of 1RM. and are you increasing weight or maintaining?

can you halve the work by splitting it into the two sessions, do half each time.

mcnultycop

I do squats, bench and bent over rows 5×5 once a week and shoulder press 5×5 with low rep deadlifts the other weekly session. Cycling isn’t great the day after so I time weights sessions accordingly (mon and thurs nights when I don’t ride the next day). With warm up and down I’m in and out of the gym in 50 minutes.

OP you seem to be doing a lot of reps and a lot of exercises so I’m assuming relatively low weight. Maybe split your sessions a bit?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Gah, forum logged me out and stole my reply, i’ll try again.

So that session is more than i’d do in one even if the gym was my focus not cycling.

I’d do deadlifts or squats, not both in the same session.
    Drop weighted situps since you are already doing a core routine
    Drop kettle bell squats
    Maybe consider dropping down to 2 sets on everything except squat/deadlift

BlobOnAStick

I had a similar question about 12 months ago or so. There’s a thread down there somewhere.

I now do weights twice a week – basically the same routine but I alternate squats and deadlift:
    1 warm-up
    2 squats or deadlifts (3×8)
    3 barbell rows (3×8)
    4 military press (3×8)
    5 bench press (3×8)
    6 chin-ups (3×8)
    7 triceps dips (3×8)

I follow the stronglifts philosophy where if I achieve the full reps then I increase the weight by 2.5kg.

I’m ok with the results – I’m getting stronger (please note I am NOT training to improve my cycling just my overall strength)

On a recent ride I did find that since I’d not done much cardio work (i.e. Cycled) much in the past 4/5 months and the extra weight from training meant I really struggled to maintain my previous pace. I’ve started to put this right this evening with my first spin class but it’ll be hard work to maintain both cycling fitness and the strength I’ve built up.

I do think it’s possible to do both – this is the second winter I’m lifting heavy and for some reason I’m much less tired from the weights than I was……

flanagaj
    Free Member

depends on %ge of 1RM. and are you increasing weight or maintaining

I was thinking earlier how I have never done %ge of 1RM. I would say that over the last 3 months I have upped the weights slightly. Barbell squats 40kg to 50Kg, deadlifts 40Kg to 70Kg.

It’s tricky getting the balance right as you feel you want every session to count.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Based on what has been posted here, it seems like barbell squats & deadlifts are the only leg related exercises you need to do?

That means I can basically drop the walking lunges, kettle bell squats / swings. I can then keep the core work and upper body work and hopefully stop suffering from tired legs & glutes for days after.

BoardinBob

That means I can basically drop the walking lunges, kettle bell squats / swings

Don’t discount them. They all add something and for example even if you’re good at barbell squats you will still benefit from KB squats.

I can bang out 5 x 5 barbell squats at 120kg with ease.

However double front rack KB squats with maybe 24kg KBs have my eyes almost popping out my head

BlobOnAStick

^^ think I agree with just doing deadlifts and squats.

stevious

I’m following a plan from Joe Friel’s Cyclist’s Training Bible – I’m in maintenance mode now.

I do:
    Warm up
    3 x 6 step-ups
    3 x 6 seated row
    2 x 15 weighted twisty core thing
    2 x 20 ‘upper body’ (either chest press or lateral pull-down)
    2 x 20 ‘leg weakness’ (quad or hamstring exercise)
    3 x 6 Standing row

It’s my first year of doing this kind of training but I’ve noticed some gains on the bike as a result. Don’t feel ruined by each session either.

paton
    Free Member

A lot depends on your goals and what other training that you are doing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-to-strength-train-for-cycling.html

If you’re struggling to recover between workouts, you’re probably doing too much. Cut back on exertion, make sure you’re eating and resting enough, and give your body the space it needs. Building strength requires listening to your body, but once you get the hang of it, the rewards are significant!

alextemper
    Free Member

Stick to doing full body sessions and look to hit each body part just once per session. Start with larger muscle groups first and worth through to the smaller ones for most efficient use of energy. Generally I’ll start off with my lower and work my way up. Try to keep squats, deadlift and explosive movements like cleans in separate sessions otherwise you will tax the CNS too much and fatigue. Central Nervous System fatigue can be just as bad as Muscle fatigue.

Bare in mind lower compound work like squats, deadlift and cleans hit the core pretty hard to I would supplement core work that also promotes good flexibility in posterior, lumbar and hips.

paton
    Free Member

Have some easy weeks and some tough weeks
    Someone like Nino Schurter has blocks of training, 3 hard weeks then 1 easy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RrEsnZg_M

eskay

I am a similar age and have been using weights for the first time over the winter.

I have massively reduced the amount of riding to accommodate the weights. I ached when I started the program but it is fine now.

The weights and reps increase/decrease depending on what phase of the program you are in. There are 3 to 4 sessions per week.

I have been doing it at home using free weights only, it is all from a book that I bought (because I had no idea about anything to do with weights).

I have weeks 1-12 on a spreadsheet, PM me if you would like me to send you a copy.

I have a re-test tomorrow to see if my 1RM has changed and then I move into the strength phase. The program eventually moves to a maintenance phase for the main cycling/racing season.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have never done %ge of 1RM

Not sure if i was clear – i don;t work to a percentage either. but your session must be a lower %ge as your doing a lot of reps? 1RM can be worked out using a pretty simple calculation. I use Jefit which calculates it for you based on your workout.

It’s tricky getting the balance right as you feel you want every session to count.

I spent most of December ill and missed all of my gym work and rode a few times. (normally i’d be lifting/ riding 6 days a week). I’ve been trying to catch up and really messed it up a couple of times. Felt great lifting upped the weight by big chunk – lifting it now problem. but then couldn’t ride for 4 days after due tue stiff muscles.

My plan is to lift as much as possible until the end of the month, whilst still commuting/ social riding, then train the bike some more. I will probably compress lifting into one longer session and do another more ploy explosive workout.

Should qualify this all with i’ve not found the correct balance either though – so don’t take my post as good advice!!

flanagaj
    Free Member

That’s a very interesting read and is the opposite of what I have been doing. I have sent the article to my PT and will discuss it tonight. Totally agree with the statement regarding doing the lower body big muscle group first. Barbell squats really get me blowing and you are obviously working all of the lower major muscles, but the core too, so makes sense to hit this first in the session.

Just so I fully get this, are people saying that barbell squats and romanian deadlifts are best done on different days or could I cut the reps, but increase the weight so I can do these on the same day?

Only reason I ask is that if I only do a single exercise eg, glutes, quads or hams a week I notice the DOMS more. Do those of you who do squats one session and deadlifts another not get DOMs?

eskay

In my current phase I do squats and deadlifts in one session (A) and the next session (B) the only real leg work is lunges (with dumbells).

One week I will do two sessions A and one session B, the following week it is two sessions B and one A. Usually performed Mon, Wed & Fri.

BillOddie

Based on what has been posted here, it seems like barbell squats & deadlifts are the only leg related exercises you need to do?

Deadlifts are a back, posterior chain exercise. I would not classify them as leg exrcise as there should be little to no quad activation.

Squatting and deadlifting in one session if done properly will hammer your CNS.

To the OP that’s a lot of volume in one workout. Too much IMHO.
    Are you training for a specific goal?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Deadlifts are a back, posterior chain exercise. I would not classify them as leg exrcise as there should be little to no quad activation.

Do glutes and hamstrings not count as leg?

Squatting and deadlifting in one session if done properly will hammer your CNS.

Is that good or negative thing?

To the OP that’s a lot of volume in one workout. Too much IMHO.
    Are you training for a specific goal?

I have finally concluded that too. No specific goal in mind.

zilog6128

good IF you allow sufficient recovery afterwards

You’ve got to find what works for you but IMO you’re doing too many reps esp. for the deadlift. You might get more out of less reps at a much higher weight. For example after my warm up sets my work set of deadlifts is 1x 5-7ish at close to my 1RM. That has me knackered so I wouldn’t even attempt another set. IMO that is better for stimulating growth than more reps at a lighter weight & probably better for recovery too.

Also don’t personally see the point of kettle bell swings/squats if you’re doing barbell squats. Just do heavier weight on the barbell squats if you’ve got more to give. You will see better returns doing heavier weights than multiple exercises doing basically the same thing but with lighter weights IMO.

I basically just keep it simple now and do no more than 3-4 exercises per session. Always squats & bench, maybe deadlift and pullup or dumbbell row.

Lastly (and this is personal opinion again!) never saw the point in situps, esp. weighted. If I do any extra core work it’s always right at the end and always takes the form of stabilisation e.g. plank, hanging L-sit etc. But I find I get a great core workout just by concentrating on form for all my other exercises e.g. squat, bench press & especially pull-ups.

I’m not an expert & agree that juggling cycling & weights is tricky although I think you definitely need to prioritise one over the other (cycling for me at the moment).

flanagaj
    Free Member

good IF you allow sufficient recovery afterwards
    You’ve got to find what works for you but IMO you’re doing too many reps esp. for the deadlift. You might get more out of less reps at a much higher weight. For example after my warm up sets my work set of deadlifts is 1x 5-7ish at close to my 1RM. That has me knackered so I wouldn’t even attempt another set. IMO that is better for stimulating growth than more reps at a lighter weight & probably better for recovery too.

Also don’t personally see the point of kettle bell swings/squats if you’re doing barbell squats. Just do heavier weight on the barbell squats if you’ve got more to give. You will see better returns doing heavier weights than multiple exercises doing basically the same thing but with lighter weights IMO.

Lastly (and this is personal opinion again!) never saw the point in situps, esp. weighted. If I do any extra core work it’s always right at the end and always takes the form of stabilisation e.g. plank, hanging L-sit etc. But I find I get a great core workout just by concentrating on form for all my other exercises e.g. squat, bench press & especially pull-ups Many thanks. That is very informative and I will take your points on board. Have PT tonight so will drop number of reps, push the weight up and simplify the number of exercises. Taking a good 3 minute break between sets is something I need to factor in as I don’t normally wait and find I am on the next set too quickly. This means as well as the weights I am also having quite a CV workout as well.

zilog6128

Yeah a break between sets is essential IMO. Also a good reason for doing less exercises otherwise you’ll be in the gym all day! IMO I would take the weight increases gradually & prioritise form, injury is a real risk otherwise as you approach your 1RM.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I would take the weight increases gradually & prioritise form, injury is a real risk otherwise as you approach your 1RM.

Totally agree. That is why I have been using a PT as I am concious of how bad form in romanian deadlifts / barbell squats can be very detrimental. I see some real shockers in my local gym!

BadlyWiredDog

I found any sort of heavy-ish legwork with weights pretty much screwed my legs for cycling for a couple of days without any obvious benefit for my riding. I guess ultimately it depends on whether you’re simply weight training and you also cycle or you’re weight training in an attempt to improve your cycling.

If it’s the latter, then maybe you need to think hard about whether you’re being hindered by leg strength / power. I started doing more core stuff, renegade dumbbell rows, pull-ups, dorsal raises that sort of thing and running more, which worked better for me.

All not very expert or scientific, but then I’m not an elite athlete, just a keen cyclist who does the odd endurance event and rides a lot. Also bear in mind that different stuff works for different people, none of us are the same.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I found any sort of legwork with weights pretty much screwed my legs for cycling for a couple of days without any obvious benefit for my riding.

I found the same thing – i’m getting a much better return from big gear torque intervals on the bike.

zilog6128

I found any sort of legwork with weights pretty much screwed my legs for cycling for a couple of days without any obvious benefit for my riding.

The thing is, the benefits of squatting, etc, go way beyond strength/performance so IMO it’s important to do it even if it is slightly detrimental to your cycling (unless you are a pro rider and cycling is everything to you!)

Having said that I’ve found increased leg strength slightly beneficial… I’m an average cyclist but can sprint pretty fast for very short periods which means I win all the mates’ sprints to the pub/cafe/etc, which is what it’s all about really 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Having said that I’ve found increased leg strength slightly beneficial… I’m an average cyclist but can sprint pretty fast for very short periods which means I win all the mates’ sprints to the pub/cafe/etc, which is what it’s all about really

Obviously. But I’m pretty much a fast twitch animal at base anyway, so for me, it doesn’t seem to add whole lot. But I ride pretty much every day and I resent having dead-feeling legs the day after a weights session. I don’t think there’s a ‘correct balance’, just what works best for you.

BillOddie

Do glutes and hamstrings not count as leg?

Stop thinking about body parts and think about movement patterns.
    Squat
    Lunge
    Push (vert)
    Push (horizontal)
    Pull (Vert)
    Pull (horizontal)
    Hip Hinge
    Twist (or resisting twisting)

Negative. You want stimulate your CNS to adapt not completely obliterate it.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Feel free to comment here, but I have been told by a fair few PT instructors, that cyclists have stong quads and weak glutes / hams. They also said that if you add in sitting at a desk all day your this just compounds the weak glutes and gives you tight hip flexors. Doing Deadlifts & squats will help strengthen those weak glutes and hamstrings to counter balance this. The result is that lower back issues will hopefully be avoided.

zilog6128

well, I would agree that squats & deadlifts are helpful (and almost everyone should do them anyway) but IMO the best cure would just be not sitting behind a desk all day!!

BillOddie

Feel free to comment here, but I have been told by a fair few PT instructors, that cyclists have stong quads and weak glutes / hams. They also said that if you add in sitting at a desk all day your this just compounds the weak glutes and gives you tight hip flexors. Doing Deadlifts & squats will help strengthen those weak glutes and hamstrings to counter balance this. The result is that lower back issues will hopefully be avoided.

Completely agree!

I would just do them on different days as you probably won’t get the full benefit from either if they are on the same day.

Keeping in mind I have no idea about your training experience/level or goals, if you are training twice a week I would split it down as follows:

Day 1
    Squat
    OHP
    Lat Pull/Pull Ups
    Banded Lunges

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Farmers walk

With regards to reps and sets.
    Make sure you do a couple of warm up sets per exercise THEN 4 or 5 sets of 5-8 reps.

It’ll build strength at a decent rate provided your diet is on point and you’re getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night.

zilog6128

My take from the OP’s posts is that he’s just weight training to improve core/back strength/posture with regards to cycling & to counteract an otherwise sedentary lifestyle, not because he wants to get massively strong or hench! Could be wrong though.

flanagaj
    Free Member

IMO the best cure would just be not sitting behind a desk all day!!

Agreed. But that’s another issue!

With regards to reps and sets.
    Make sure you do a couple of warm up sets per exercise THEN 4 or 5 sets of 5-8 reps.

Can you elaborate as to what weight you would life on the warm ups. Say for arguments sake I would be lifting 80kg on the deadlift for 5-8 reps, what would a warm up set be?

My take from the OP’s posts is that he’s just weight training to improve core/back strength/posture with regards to cycling & to counteract an otherwise sedentary lifestyle, not because he wants to get massively strong or hench! Could be wrong though.

I would say that I embarked on the gym for the reasons below.

No interest in getting super strong or hench, but keeping tone and definition are also on the list.

If this translates to on the bike performance then great. By on the bike performance that can mean, not fatiguing so quickly on longer rides or as mentioned, not getting a sore lower back. Not trying to build sprinting power or anything like that.

zilog6128

keeping tone and definition are also on the list.

“Tone” is just something invented to sell Jane Fonda workout videos really. You can’t “tone up” by doing exercises. People who look toned/defined do so because they have low body fat, lots of muscle mass, or both, i.e. the muscles are not being obscured by the later of fat. So you can get “toned” just by doing a little bit of exercise & watching what you eat!

BillOddie

No interest in getting super strong or hench, but keeping tone and definition are also on the list.

As Zilog states “toning” (I f***** hate that term) means improving your muscle to fat ratio.

If you strength train, eat well and recover properly you’ll be happy with the results.

BoardinBob

Can you elaborate as to what weight you would life on the warm ups. Say for arguments sake I would be lifting 80kg on the deadlift for 5-8 reps, what would a warm up set be?

My warm up tends to be 1 set at 25% of working weight then 1 set at 75% of working weight then into the proper sets and weight

BillOddie

If i thought I’d be pulling 80kg.
    I’d do 5 x 20, 5 x 40 and 5 x 60 before doing my 5×5 at 80kg.

On a lift as taxing as the deadlift you want to prime your CNS for the work thats coming it’s way and make sure you’re good and warmed up.

BlobOnAStick

What does a tired CNS feel like? I understand and occasionally have DOMS so I understand that, but training your CNS? How do I know what a trained CNS feels like?

alextemper
    Free Member

You don’t train up CNS per se, it’s about developing mind/muscle connection.

CNS fatigue is most common when performing a lot of high weight, low rep movements within a session and/or over a prolonged period of time. This is where you use periodisation to ramp up and down weight and intensity across session to avoid burnout. I guess the best way to describe the feeling is if you feel like you have the energy but don’t have the motivation to perform more movements. More mental fatigue than physical where the muscle may feel tired and full of lactic acid or you overall feel physically tired.

You would most likely experience if you attempted multiple 1RM lifts within the same session.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Strength Training & Cycling. Correct balance?’ is closed to new replies.