Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Straw poll: can you fit this bike in this silly little car?
  • jhw
    Free Member

The bike is a large 2009 Specialized Enduro, with a looong wheelbase (1280mm I think). Bit of a gate. I’d be taking the wheels and bars off and tossing it across the backseat probably. Any way that works (but no bike rack).

The car is this dinky little number:

Am I going to have to pay an extra £20 to hire a Focus or something

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you can pay the extra do it. Otherwise your swearbox will be full.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

i fit my spesh demo 7 with only wheels off in the back of my classic mini (across the back seats, which had been taken out), that car only measures 4ft across, so yeah no problem!

rOcKeTdOg

i got 2 mountain bikes and a road bike in a Yaris, so one bike in there shouldn’t be a problem

z1ppy

M8 can fit a bike, in a bike bag, into his RX7 (admitely it sometimes take 20 minutes to figure out how). If he can do that you can defitiely fit any bike into that…

jhw
    Free Member

OK. love will find a way, even if it means driving the whole way in my helmet and pads.

akira

Read that as ‘driving the whole way in my helmets and pants’.
    Yeah that will fit in fine.

MrTall
    Free Member

With both wheels off i got my 23″ framed 29er in the back of the GF’s Clio yesterday and bikes don’t come much bigger than mine.

clubber
    Free Member

Should be fine – I’ve not yet found a car that won’t fit a bike in less wheels and seatpost. (OK, haven’t tried a Smart…). If things get really desperate, take the fork off and, take out the rear shock and then compress the suspension

molgrips
    Free Member

That car is significantly smaller than the others mentioned on here tho.

andyl
    Free Member

definitely drive with just your helmet and pants on with it in 3rd gear screaming up the motorway and wave to people as they pass you!

jhw
    Free Member

My gut feeling is that it won’t fit in. I previously drove a Polo and that could barely take my Enduro, and this car looks almost like a smart car in its proportions.

However the advice here seems fairly emphatic.

If it doesn’t go in though, I’m a bit stuffed. Will pay the extra £20.

I’ll also be wearing my sick chrome purple goggles and racing gloves. Going to be fun.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

no problem at all

Ive fitted my spesh enduro (size L) in to my mini plenty of times, drop the rear seats push the front passanger seat as far forward as possible and wheels off

jhw
    Free Member

Cool.

I’m assuming the rear seats in this silly little Citroen go down.

I’m going to absolutely rag the thing.

chiefgrooveguru

Why wouldn’t it fit? My car isn’t huge but I put my bike in whole.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

dh bike and a dj bike fit in the back of a classic mini at the same time, it will fit…

D0NK

I’d guess my wifes matiz is similar size to that and I can get a gate framed bike (20″) into it. Back seats down, wheels off. Might even be able to cram a 2nd bike and person in too, not tried tho.

jhw
    Free Member

OK thx. There’s always room.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s a C1, they are very very small. Smaller than Yaris or a Clio, probably smaller than a new Micra. Not much larger than a Smart tbh.

Chew
    Free Member

I have a 107 (same car) and my medium Specialized Stumpy just fits in the back.

Wheels off and remove the mech hanger. You’ll then have to put it in on its right side so that the rear triangle is in the drivers side of the boot and the bars behind the passenger seat.

You can flip it the other way, but if your legs are loner than 30 inchs you’ve got no chance.

Hicksy
    Free Member

If you are on your own, then you’ll be fine. I can just about gey my XL Mount Vision in mine with the wheels and seat post off, but have to move the passenger seat all the way forward. I have a roof rack now!

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ll just pay £20 for the bigger car rather than remove forks, mech etc. It’s a long drive on fast roads.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It will fit easily.

Fold front seat forward, back seats down, wheels off, seatpost off.

AlasdairMc

I’ve had two bikes in the back of an old style Ka, wheels off and lying on their left hand side with the forks at the front. One was a large Enduro.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Mrs GF manages to get her TTbike, or road bike or Marin hybrid into her Smart Car. Passenger seat folded down, wheels off, frame lies across the pasenger seat, wheels upright in the boot. Get some funny looks when unloading it!

ji
    Free Member

I regularly used to get a Kona hardtail in my old Smart. Wheels off, upside down with front seat flat. No space for passenger, but it fitted fine.

MrAgreeable

I thought this was going to have a picture of a Hummer. In which case, the answer would be no, unless it’s a folding bike.

Raindog
    Free Member

I got a Blur in the back of a 911 once. I know that doesn’t help, but I thought I’d tell you anyway.

carlosg
    Free Member

Wheels n seatpost off turn the bars 180 degrees put the headtube up against the back of the passenger seat/folded rear seat and swing the back of the frame across to the drivers side.you might need to take the rear mech off.

I used to fit 2 GT I-drives in my wifes Fiat Seicento this way with a weekends kit and camping stuff!

martymac

regardless of whether it fits or not, id pay the 20 notes extra for a focus, its a much better place to sit.

anto164
    Free Member

and it’s not french!

jhw
    Free Member

Focus it is.

This debate reminds me of when my brother had to get these phone-booth sized subs he’d just built to a D&B party in a field. We shared a small car, a girl’s car really. Duct tape and a slightly mis-shapen car roof got the job done. Nothing cooler than rocking up to a rave in your mum’s blue polo with a big old set of subs gaffer-taped on top. There must be a photo on chavs.com or somewhere

DT78
    Free Member

Both wheels off, passenger seat as far forwards as it will go – shouldn’#t have a problem

Used to regularly fit my nomad with just the front wheel removed in an old corsa with a passenger too.

Personally I’d pay the extra for a focus. the boot is hugggggeee compared to my 206…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Easy. I’ve had an Aygo and a 107 recently, which are about the same size as that. Both bigger than my Seicento, which had 2 people and 2 bikes plus 4 days worth of stuff in it. I think there were a couple of duvets in there too 🙂 Rear view was slightly compromised tho 😉

5lab

yeah should be easy. I’ve had a mountain bike in the back of a camaro before (new shape), with only wheels off. its a bigger car, granted, but the boot opening is tiny, have to thread it right through

Picture 095 by 5lab, on Flickr

actually if you look at that pic it looks like it should have been easy. really wasn’t

Anna-B
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at C1s recently as they’re on my list of lease cars I can have from work (yes I am that far down the pecking order!) and they are totally minute. Zero boot space, and I won’t be getting one cos I’m really not sure my medium Spesh FS would fit, and definitely not with camping gear as well. Oh and not really practical for my job 😉 Smaller than a Seicento and Aygo – OP right choice to hire a bigger car!

Tim
    Free Member

Yup, done it before 🙂

john

Bit late, but you probably would’t have got that one. Whenever I’ve hired a car (albeit only a handful of times) I’ve booked the smallest cheapest one on their website and they’ve never actually had one when I’ve collected it. Book a 1.0 matiz/get a 1.4 corsa type thing. Happened even after they did a hard sell for the upgrade. I do wonder how many of the small cars they actually have compared to the bigger types. Still, £20 for not having to hope isn’t so bad.

Next thing for them to sell you is the extra insurance, they’ll point out that otherwise there’s a twelvety billion pound excess if it gets rained on. Enterprise charge something like £20/day for that, although they can be haggled with, and your can get it from other companies. ‘course, hertz might be different.

jhw
    Free Member

A genuine divide of opinion, but I will go with the views of people who’ve encountered this crappy little car, and get something a bit meatier. Thanks all

cinnamon_girl

Does anyone remember the guy who came to that Q’s ride in a Lotus? Literally, wheels, seatpost, bar had to be removed! Nice car though. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Straw poll: can you fit this bike in this silly little car?’ is closed to new replies.