Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Stravaing everything – a current trend?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Noticed that quite a few stravaists have started to log every time they swing a leg over a bike (e.g. a half mile pootle down to the shops and back.) What’s going on? Seems odd. I guess it could help with some of the mileage challenges.

scaled
    Free Member

I do this! I strava the 1.5 mile round trip to drop my daughter off to school, I quite like seeing if she’s getting any faster and have a private segment set up for it :$

wwaswas

I’ve always tried to avoid doing local journeys, even with an exclusion zone the distances would help people locate an address for me.

Plus I did it once for the school run ride and people took the piss. There was even a segment ‘Luke’s school run’ created. 😳

edlong
    Free Member

People using an app to track their mileage using the app to track their mileage shocker!

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve been considering Strava-ing my dog walk every morning, but haven’t quite plunged that low yet 😀

traildog
    Free Member

Strava is also used as a training tool and diary, rather than just a race tool for people who are too scared to race. So with this in mind, it makes sense to log every time on the bike to work with as accurate data as possible.

somouk
    Free Member

I log every bike journey and run in Strava but I don’t tend to do anything less than 9 or 10 mile at a time.

bigjim

they are probably in the stw strava group, which just seems to be a leader/willy comparison board of who has done the most miles, unless I was doing it wrong.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Strava is also used as a training tool and diary, rather than just a race tool for people who are too scared to race. So with this in mind, it makes sense to log every time on the bike to work with as accurate data as possible.

Interesting one that. I use TrainingPeaks as my training tool, but I don’t bother logging a half mile ride to work (the daily dog walk is more strenuous, maybe I should start wearing my HR monitor and working out my dog walk TSS!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I logged my commute (6 miles).

Why does that bother you?

mrblobby
    Free Member

TINAS, a 6 mile ride is worth logging for training purposes… but a half mile pootle to the shops?

Why does that bother you?

Doesn’t bother me, it amuses me 🙂

jimc101
    Free Member

Logging everything this year, just to see how much I actually ride, surprising how much those little trips add to your total distance.

Am amused by getting kudos for popping down to Morrisons to get some milk.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Am amused by getting kudos for popping down to Morrisons to get some milk.

Always kudos those rides 🙂

christhetall
    Free Member

It’s the best software I’ve found for logging just how much mileage I’ve done on different bikes. Gives me an idea on how long stuff is lasting and when it needs changing

Northwind

I strava my tiny commute because it gives me a little extra impetus to pedal like ****. And I like the rolling “miles ridden” total.

amedias
    Free Member

I log everything, even if it’s a couple of miles running errands.
    I use it as a tool to track my total mileage, and mileage on particular bikes, and time on bike, more of a ride diary than anything else.

Mostly because I’m a stats geek and like that kind of thing, but also useful when working out cost offset against using car/public transport and for keeping track of how long things last before wearing out etc.

As for other people seeing it I don’t give a monkeys really, only got about 5 mates that follow me.

I’m glad I can bring some amusement to your life 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

When i first signed up to strava, I spent the first ride charging through segments.

Then i got bored and just record all my rides for total mileage. The only thing I try and achieve is a 100 mile a week average, not fussed about anything else now.

I use my phone for less than 5 miles and GPS for further, I’ve found logging the little rides to the shops encourages me to use my bike rather than a car.

thecrookofdevon

Bit of a thread highjack here but…..When I use strava I just have a look at it once I get home to see how fast I was on various segments or even to see if any of the bits I rode are segments. Is there any way of telling when you are approaching a segment? I know this is a bit thick and also that I should take my phone out of my camelbak!

Northwind

Yeah, you can have real-time segment reporting, I think it’s a premium service.

tops5
    Free Member

Strava-ed mowing the lawn the lawn the other day 0.6 of a mile!

muggomagic

I’ve never logged a trip to the shops, but I have no doubt gotten ready to go for a ride, got as far as the pub and never made it any further, then after a proper ride plugged in my Garmin and it auto uploads them both. After analysis of the 1.5 mile round trip to the pub, I can tell you that on average I’m 5mph quicker after 6 pints of stella. Imagine how quick I’d be after 10!

footstomper
    Free Member

7 mile round trip to work & back 3 to 4 days per week over a year is between 1092 / 1456 miles so yes it is worth using Strava on small runs 😀 minus holidays of course but usually spend them Cycling abroad anyway so all adds up to plenty of milage.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t use my bike to go to the shops or anything, but I tend to switch my Garmin on for every ride, 5 minute spin to check it’s working before a race etc, then I usually upload several rides in one. It’s more effort to weed out the short ones!

oliverracing

I don’t bother stravaing my daily commutes to and from campus which is about 2 miles, but I have worked out that I average about 50 miles a week commuting alone!

brakes
    Free Member

I think it’s linked with the medals you can get i.e. cover 500 km in a month – people will log their walk to the toilet just to get over the barrier and be given their e-medal.

edlong
    Free Member

TINAS, a 6 mile ride is worth logging for training purposes… but a half mile pootle to the shops?

six trips to the shop (and back) in a week would be six miles so why not? I track all my riding (not on strava, using a different app) and I’m mainly interested in mileage. And some of those little bits might be parts of a bigger ride – my daily routine has this: little bit from home to daughter’s school, followed by longer bit from school to work. Why shouldn’t I track it all? Why would anyone care about how other people (who they don’t know) track their riding?

tomhoward

A mate uploads to strava, then shares on Facebook, his commute, as well every other human powered movement. Rambling, dog walking, walking round shopping centres, everything .

GrahamS

This is a good thing given the recent stuff about Strava selling aggregated data to councils and road authorities to aid with infrastructure planning:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/should-road-provision-for-cyclists-be-based-on-strava-use

If folk log everything then it will be a bit closer to a proper representation.

(FWIW I don’t Strava, but I do log most of my rides on Endomondo, even if they are just commutes or trips into town. It’s my mileage counter, so mileage counts 🙂 )

chrishc777
    Free Member

Anything less than 10 miles I feel a bit embarassed about TBH

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I use it to log all my rides. I don’t post anything on Facemuck and I don’t have any followers on Strava. As someone said above, it’s just a useful and useable ride diary for my own interest. I also use it as a bit of an incentive to pedal a bit harder as I now know roughly where most of the local segments are so can chase my personal bests etc. – keeps things a bit more interesting on cold, wet winter commutes.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’m a geek. I love logging data 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just tried to record a segment, the drop from the top floor of the building to the ground floor, took 13seconds but no KOM. I’ll try it in reverse in about 1/2hr.. 😥

butcher

I’d like to think my car’s odometer will record mileage whether I’m setting out on a road trip or driving 30 yards to the shop. Granted, you have to go to the bother of uploading everything to Strava, and if I was only riding a couple of streets down to a friends house, then I probably wouldn’t. Generally speaking though, I record everything within reason. I like all the data, knowing exactly what mileage each bikes has done, how much time I spend on each, etc…I’ve never seen Strava exclusively as a training tool. I like to geek out on it too 😀

GrahamS

you have to go to the bother of uploading everything to Strava

Do you?

Surely the smartphone versions of Strava work the same as Endomondo: press Start and it begins uploading automagically, do ride, press Stop when you’re done.

wwaswas

took 13seconds but no KOM.

If you really wanted the KOM you’d throw your phone/gps out of the window.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Stravaing everything – a current trend?’ is closed to new replies.