• This topic has 33 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by karn.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Strava – Wrist Devices?
  • RRD
    Free Member

Watch/wrist-top computer query.

I have become a bit of a Strava addict – normally via my phone.

However, I also use Strava for running and find the iPhone a bit of a pain to carry. So what wrist options are out there?

MrNice
    Free Member

Garmin GPS watches will do it but they’re a pain to upload afterwards (mine is a pain at least, more recent models may not rely on a shonky cable to upload via laptop).

sparkyspice
    Free Member

My Fenix 3 uploads wirelessly via my phone straight to Strava as soon as the activity is completed on the watch.

RRD
    Free Member

Are there cheaper options out there – that people recommend?

And do they all require connection (either WiFi or cable) to a computer post run/ride to upload?

I love the simplicity of using the phone – no downloading after exercise. For a ride it is not a problem (phone stashed in pocket/bag) – just a pain to carry whilst running

RRD
    Free Member

Sparky – TY sounds like what I am looking for

thecaptain
    Free Member

Armband for the phone would be cheaper. Garmins download automatically via Bluetooth to phone these days. Though I’ve heard ios11 has **** this up a bit for many users.

jam-bo

All recent garmin watches will sync with a phone. I use a forerunner 235.

ssboggy

Garmin forerunner 25 will sync directly to Strava on your phone if you’re looking for a cheaper option. Mine was £100 from Argos (was probably about a year ago) but can’t fault it for what I want.
    Got a long battery life too.

wilburt
    Free Member

Forerunner 25 symcs with your phone, gets notificatioms and is under £100.

If you want one that does cycling and HR then the forerunner 35 is £130

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Either phone in arm band £5 from sports direct or look out for cheap deals on TomTom running watches. I prefer the speed and accuracy of cheap TomToms over much more expensive Garmins

Bluetooth upload via your phone

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for TomTom watches. Light, low profile, easy to use and often available cheap. The Spark, I think it is, and the Runner are essentially the same thing btw.

nixie

TomTom now they have sorted the app. Much cheaper and work just as well. Upload is via phone Bluetooth. You can configure the app to send the upload to multiple other sites, Strava, mapmyrun, endomondo etc.

marksnook
    Free Member

I have a forerunner 235, has a cycling mode and many other modes, connects to Strava and does everything I need it too. Second hand on eBay for about 100 I think

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I use a Suunto Ambit 3 vertical. Links to bluetooth heart rate strap, Syncs with phone and automatically uploads to strava (if you want it to). Get text alerts/call alerts on your watch if the phone is in blue tooth range.
    Suunto ambit 3 run can be had from about £100.

worth a look.

lunge

I use a Forerunner 35 for exactly the reason you have. Displays what I need it to, has an optician HR and syncs to my phone wirelessly. Only issue is that it’s sometimes slow to pick up satellite signal, if you want it to be faster you need GLONASS which costs lots more.

richmars

TomTom Multisport works fairly well, as above. Bluetooth sync to phone, automatic upload to Strava.

SirHC

Forerunner 220 here, uploads to phone via bluetooth, then onto strava. Will do heart rate and other sensors.

Tiger6791

Forerunner 235

Uploads via phone
    Sends beacon text via phone
    Does Heartrate from wrist
    More accurate than my Handlebar Garmin 800

Couple of quirks but all in it’s a great bit of kit
    (Which is surprising from Garmin)

prawny

Vivoactive HR here, had a 235 but it broke, so took the opportunity to swap to one with a barometric altimeter because I missed it for riding.

Both pretty good, still end up taking my phone though because I like listening to music, so I’ve got one of those tight waist phone belts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vivoactive HR is very good, my only issue is that it has went real slow to sync via Connect, used to be instantaneous.

gwurk
    Free Member

TomTom look at Sports direct for huge savings.

Simon

Another TomTom Multisport user here.
    Works well enough and is user friendly.
    Strava sync speed to phone is variable, sometimes it’s almost instant other times it can take a few minutes.

roverpig

Apple Watch works well as a stand-alone Strava device. I wouldn’t buy one just for that, but if you were looking for an excuse to buy one anyway … 🙂

Leku
    Free Member

some older cheaper options here;

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/outlet/

mehr
    Free Member

If anyone wants a cheap GPS watch I have my Bryton 60 up for sale, will sell it for £40 posted http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-bryton-cardio-60-45

rocketman
    Free Member

However, I also use Strava for running and find the iPhone a bit of a pain to carry

Your phone has a much better antenna than any wrist device.

We have a GPS black hole nearby and Apple watch/Gamin FR230/Polar somethingorother all straightline but iPhones work fine

Just saying

timidwheeler

I’ve got a Vivoactive HR. I bought it for a running GPS but now I wear it all the time for the heart rate monihoring and step count. You can download apps to it. I’ve currently got one for paddlesports and one for the beep test. You can have Stava live suffer scores as well if you want.
    I leave my phone in my hallway when I go out and run. When I get back I stop my watch at the front door and everything is uploaded to Strava before I’ve sat down to take my shoes off. I’ve had my fair share of rants about Garmin software but they have improved greatly recently and the current app works well.
    I’ve not had any issues with straightlining either, although I give it a couple of seconds to find itself before I start running.

simon_g

Vivoactive was decent for running, nice and light too.

Have got an Apple Watch (s2 for GPS) now and that works nicely as well – since iOS11 came along you can use the native Workouts app and use something like Rungap to push them to Strava, Mapmyrun and others. Biggest benefit for me is being able to stick music on the watch and play it via bluetooth headphones without needing to carry a separate phone or music player.

Else for the times I do want to keep my phone on me, one of the belts with the stretchy zipped pocket works well and doesn’t bounce too much. Stick the phone in a sandwich bag if you sweat a lot.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have a Tom Tom something with a built-in HRM. It’s pretty basic otherwise but can also link up with a cadence sensor if that’s your thing and it requires a wired connection to a PC to upload.

However, it syncs with Strava (once set-up) and is pretty unobtrusive. I’m happy with it so far. I just wanted something to measure distance and effort/calories/heart rate, which is does.

Oh yes – bluetooth headphone thing. I’m sure I’ll take advantage when I join the 21st century and buy some bluetooth headphones.

larkim
    Free Member

I’ve had both a TomTom Runner (first model) and Garmin Vivoactive (currently in use, not the HR model). Both were great as running watches, I “upgrade” to the Vivoactive because it was on a deal at the time and does smart notifications and custom “apps” and displays (e.g. some basic navigation features etc). Also has Bluetooth and Ant+ so I’ve got a HR, cadence and speed sensor paired with it.

Both sync fine with Bluetooth, I think the Vivoactive is nicer and it mounts nicely on bars when I’m riding too with a cheap Decathlon bar watch mount.

mcnultycop

I’ve got a Garmin Vivoactive HR and it is spot on for what you need.

Get the non-HR if you don’t need heart rate.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just make sure the smartwatch get has standalone GPS, rather than needing your phone. Granted, some aren’t super accurate, but they down ok job.

I’d put my £70 Sony Smartwatch in that category these days, it’s an ok backup if my Lezyne Super GPS bike computer messes up. One downside is it didn’t get the Android Wear 2.0 update, so it cannot do audio feedback on your pace, heartrate etc. I used to moan about its initial GPS lock, but discovered it is much better if you move.

karn
    Free Member

I got fed up of shonky GPS readings on my iphone when running, so decided to go for a forerunner 230.
    reasons…
    1) already had a garmin edge 1000, therefore had the garmin connect app and auto synch to Strava set up already, and didn’t really fancy another interface.
    2) didn’t need the heart rate monitor everyday, as I have a chest strap for when I want to do a bit of HR training.
    3) decent price for a smart watch.
    I love it and wear it all the time now, although I do still run with my phone in an armband as it provides my music / pace notifications and metronome.
    Its also a useful backup for when the Edge 1000 goes into sulk.
    Only problem is I have a very nice dress watch sitting at home gathering dust 🙁

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Strava – Wrist Devices?’ is closed to new replies.