Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Strava will be the death of me.
  • njee20
    Free Member

I took in 2 segments on the way home yesterday, one of which was in the wrong direction, just rode up the hill to the top, turned around and rode back down again 😳

Got both KOMs though, so worth it! 🙂

wwaswas

Got both KOMs though, so worth it!

you only have to ride 75% of the hill and turnaround using this method 😉

Out and Backs
    Another issue that can come up with our segment matching algorithm is turnaround points. Out and backs can also cause false matches if you go past the turnaround point to turnaround or if you turnaround prior to the turnaround point but have completed at least 75% of the out and back. It is currently not possible for our segment matching system to detect these details.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20950148-segment-matching-issues

StuF

Deliberately went out on sunday morning (in the torrential rain) to try a single segment – wind assisted so I thought I was in with a chance – only to find I’d turned round 1 bridge too early and my efforts were all in vain (although I was ahead at the point I turned round). grrrr

brakes
    Free Member

Strava downloaded. Will be trialling it on my commute home (Tower Hill to Crouch End). Not looking for any records… yet.

Taff
    Free Member

Not looking for any records… yet.

That’ll change on tomorrows journey home!

richardk
    Free Member

Not actually managed a bike ride with it yet, some of the running times on the segments I run on are incredible so I am expecting mid-table mediocrity for my cycling segments…

My lunchtime run got me 1% of the way to the “strive for the summit” running challenge 😥

brakes
    Free Member

what’s to stop me recording times whilst using motorised transport?
    some of the times on segments near me seem ridiculously quick, if not impossible.

will
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member
    We actually had a break in the weather this afternoon and I’ve been out climbing hills on the Quantocks to get a last bit of footage for the climbing challenge
    I managed 60,390 ft in the end (67%) I think I could have done a lot better if I’d joined Strava known about the challenge sooner.
    This months challenge (1470 miles in May) is totally out of my league

That May challenge would be great to complete. There are stages as well, so you don’t have to complete the whole thing to get acheivments 😀

wwaswas

brakes – you can challenge someones time.

njee20
    Free Member

you only have to ride 75% of the hill and turnaround using this method

Very interesting! Surely that must only be the case on very short climbs? You’re not gonna turn around 3/4 of the up Alpe d’Huez and still clock a time are you!?

I have a healthy lead on that one now though, 35 seconds, whilst second is 50 seconds! Frankly I wonder why anyone bothered to set it up! Proud of my Leith Hill off road climb, 1:09 ahead of second, hopefully hold onto that for a while!

It’s bloody addictive!

clubber
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    what’s to stop me recording times whilst using motorised transport?
    some of the times on segments near me seem ridiculously quick, if not impossible.

I’ve been very tempted to drive one of the longer draggier climbs with a very popular segment near us at about 22mph with Strava just to make it feasible but nigh on impossible to beat and mess with people’s heads 🙂

I did notice riding with a bunch of people for the first time in a while that the end of the ride consisted of everyone uploading to Strava to see how they’d done on all the sections (mainly singletrack). Entertaining (I got in on the act too) but does seem a little sad in a way but I guess that the initial excitement will fade over time.

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, I’ve found rides can be a little less sociable than before. Where folk were previously happy to bimble a bit more it’s now all about nailing every single segment, and for Surrey Hills rides that’s a hell of a lot of segments!

theflatboy
    Free Member

brakes, which way do you go? that route’s very similar to mine, though starting a touch further east. sounds like we could have some head-to-heads on the cards!

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve just started playing with it and it looks liek a good bit of fun. Not sure I’ll go out of my way to beat other people (yet) but I do like the ideas of recording personal bests. I can see a lot of NE regular racers on the leaderboards. Biggest problem for me is plenty of the records have been set during races riding in a bunch.

Thing is I used to record hill climb times on regular routes and also did my commute as a timetrial so this is a bit more entertaining as I get nice graphs and maps as well.

Not sure how good the site is for sharing routes etc. like Endomondo.

brakes
    Free Member

brakes, which way do you go?

usual route is up City Rd. to Old St., then New North Rd past Essex Rd station to High&I, up Holloway Rd. then cut across to Stroud Green Rd and up Crouch Hill.
    Often mix it up though and go up through Angel or Shoreditch, or use Hornsey Rd instead of Holloway Rd or even go further up Holloway Rd and Archway Rd for a challenge then cut across.
    No two commutes are ever the same.

sounds like we could have some head-to-heads on the cards!

[excuse]you’ll easily win on the hills, I only have one gear and it’s a grinder[/excuse]

meehaja
    Free Member

I have a new arch nemesis on Strava.

there’s a few segments where I’m placed second or third and getting closer to the number 1 spot, when this sod appears from no where, has only done 4 rides, and takes KOM on half my segments by at least 30 seconds!

I know where he lives now and he always rides between home and the uni, so I might start waiting, looking out for an Olympic TT rider!

Pauly

Why did I just join Strava!?!

Arrgghhhh!!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

you’re one of us now. you can’t escape. 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Is there a STW club yet then?

stever
    Free Member

How does a segment get defined? Is it just somebody pressing ‘Go’ and everyone later matching to that? Forgive the numpty Q – just registered for a look, don’t have a GPS gizmo yet – but some of the hills nearby are a bit shorter than I’d count.

I’d best go and buy a smartphone, some of my hills don’t look to have been recorded yet, so presumably I could get KOM?

wwaswas

I have my very own segment that I’m KOM on;

http://app.strava.com/segments/1223464

(I’m not sure whether to include the ‘down the garden to the shed’ segment as opportunities for others to beat my time are somewhat limited)

theflatboy
    Free Member

to do a segment you basically set a start and end point on a map and give it a name. hey presto. i was quite impressed that last night when i created one on a hill that didn’t have one, it set a time that i did last week as the fastest, rather than just the time from the ride i’d just done.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m on Endomondo at the moment, what’s the difference between the two and is one better for some things than the other?

theflatboy
    Free Member

good couple of commutes today – 3 KOMS and 2 PRs 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I see you AJ 😡

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m currently 478th in the Nuun Twice the Tour Challenge and every time I refresh the screen the number gets bigger 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

That’s some good strava stalking!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im enjoying it just started last week – coinciding with me ridinb to work .

Rode in and found id taken 9th on a blast into town on my fixie then on the way home killed a climb for kom Now every day i, trying to climb up for 9th …

Is it wrong that im tempted to take my tt bike down the blast and regain that 5kph difference for kom on that segment 🙂

crazy-legs

I’ve just done the Tameside crit race, discovered while idly browsing the phone before the race that Tameside Cycle Circuit is a segment on Strava – it’s been ridden 4119 times!

Current top billing on there averaged 34.8mph round there! 😯
    Our race averaged 24mph tonight which was quite slow – killer headwind down one side of the circuit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Is it wrong that im tempted to take my tt bike down the blast and regain that 5kph difference for kom on that segment

not in the slightest!

theotherjonv

do you have to have an account or is there a way just to browse – see what is considered a good time for various segments / see what segments have been defined, etc.?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed a glitch when defining segments – you set your start and end points, then when you save it it has moved both of them? So you try to define a climb, then when you look at the segment page, it has defined the start as being halfway up and the end away along the top of the hill somewhere?

clubber
    Free Member

jonv – click on “explore”

theotherjonv

i don’t see explore anywhere, think it only becomes an option once you have an account.

brakes
    Free Member

doesn’t cost anything to get an account

theflatboy
    Free Member

by the way, brakes, are any of your times on segments i’ve done too or was it just location based stalkery that tracked me down? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

None that I’ve seen.
    it was easy to find you based on one of your comments on this thread.

theflatboy
    Free Member

gotcha. out of interest, what security settings are people opting for on it?!

wwaswas

I set an exlusion around my house and chose several surrounding streets to do something similar to make it more difficult to work out where I live.

I guess if you have any particularly sensitive cheeky trails it might be best to exclude those too?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Strava will be the death of me.’ is closed to new replies.