Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Strava update
  • scotroutes

Great – you can now upload photos from your phone to Strava without having to use Instagram. Probably works a lot better for those of us who use a Garmin or similar for recording activities.
    I took this one today (I quite like it)

Oh – and thanks to folk on here pointing me in the right direction, I’ve started to get some useful information out of it too. All it took was a pointer to where to compare my own performances historically. It’s been fun watching my apparent level of fitness improve after an extended, enforced lay-off. I reckon I’m almost back at last years level (poor though that may be compared to many).

breadcrumb

I noticed the new feature today too. I Strava on android but quite often take photos on my camera so it’s handy that way too.

Here is a photo from my ride this morning, somewhere under that blanket of fog is Bassenthwaie Lake/Keswick/A66.

kcal

How do you assess fitness over time? I guess using a known, longish segment and track the timings over time?

Tricky if you have different bikes running though!!

But yes glad to detach from Instagram, which I rarely use and in order to upload / match, they have to be uploaded within the ride..

scotroutes

Yep. It would be nice if the data showed up which bike you were on (and the direction and strength of the wind). Still, create enough data points and you get a gist of it.

mtbel
    Free Member

it does. click on your time and it should take you to the activity. so long as you chose the correct bike it will show there.
    put the wind direction and speed in your description if you want to compare.

where is the new feature?

I can’t be arsed with instagram either

timb34
    Free Member

This is great for me – Instagram isn’t compatible with the slightly shonky custom ROM that I’m using on an old phone, but I miss being able to link photos and see them on the ride map.

Downloading the update now. Will test and report back if I ever manage to actually get out riding again.

scotroutes

Aye – I was more thinking about showing bikes in different colours or symbols on the wee graph

where is the new feature?

Go into Edit Activity on your phone and you get the chance to add photos. Doesn’t work with the PC/Web version.

timb34
    Free Member

Oh god. It crashes all the time.

Back around for a full reinstall.

mtbel
    Free Member

CHEERS! 🙂 sussed it out now.

I hated instagram, hopefully this will be far less faff.
    anybody know if Strava will still show the location of pics taken during rides?

tomaso
    Free Member

Change is hard but it was a good dry ride tonight. Still found some slippery limestone and went down quick and bent my new bars…

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I wish they would bloody well make it for windows phones …..

kcal

Veloviewer – while it doesn’t have the graph – does show bike details for each segment. But it’s now paid-for (not much, it has to be said).

AlexSimon

Can someone point me to a ride on strava that shows photos, so that I can see what it does with them?

pitcherpro – Member

I wish they would bloody well make it for windows phones ….. As a developer, I just wish windows phones would quietly disappear.

jam-bo

https://app.strava.com/activities/273574696

puts them in the summary and on the map.

scotroutes

will this work? http://app.strava.com/activities/273999838

No geolocation on those photos

AlexSimon

Can’t see either of those. So it’s either because we don’t follow each other, or it’s just for you, or…

hypnotoad
    Free Member

For those using the Android version, do you take the photo’s from within the Strava app, or do you minimise Strava and just use the normal camera app?

scotroutes

I can see jam bos workout and I don’t follow him. Can’t see where the photos were taken though.

On the Android client just add any photos when in Edit mode (after the ride) so use whatever camera app you want

jam-bo

looks like if you aren’t followers, you can only see the ride and not photos. I can see photos on rides of people I follow. I can’t see any photos on scotroutes ride but I can see the route.

edit:

they’ll link into here though which is useful.

scotroutes

I can see your photos and I don’t follow you (that’s using the Android app)

njee20
    Free Member

I can see your photos and I don’t follow you (that’s using the Android app)

Looking on the PC site I can’t see your photos, but can see your ride. Clearly some inconsistencies!

jemima
    Free Member

jam bo – why do you have a witches broomstick in your van???

rooster42
    Free Member

Change is hard but it was a good dry ride tonight. Still found some slippery limestone and went down quick and bent my new bars…

Those 29er wheels were going at a fair old lick when I heard you clattering across the rock, shame about the bars. Fixed my death screech rear brake, one of the pistons had got stuck, new pads in now for Scotland, maybe you won’t buy Hope brake after all 🙂

Tom

PS – you over exposed me in the photo!

jam-bo

they make the trail come alive.

smokey_jo

Is this another way for thieves to spot which bikes are worth nicking?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

As long as you’re careful with what you share I’m sure you won’t make yourself a target.

However I’m still not sure who can and can’t see my pics right now, hopefully they’ll add some settings so you have control over who can and can’t access your photo’s.

will
    Free Member

If you don’t have increased security settings then anybody can see your photos.

Good feature but i’ll just stick with Instagram, much better overall.

hooli

I saw the update yesterday and thought it would be good to capture something unusual about that ride – heavy fog, lovely sunset, dry track etc.

Not sure I would take a picture of myself and my bike as part of every ride?

thepurist

So all this chat about photos and nobody’s mentioned the rankings. As far as I can see on the Android app all it tells me is my rank on a segment and not the total number of riders, so I could be 80th of 1000 or (prbably) 80th of 81 but can’t find that on the screen. Still at least a kom is still a kom…

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s what I thought this thread was gonna be about!

Got a couple of top tens yesterday but it doesn’t mean much unless you know there were more than 11 riders.

falkirk-mark

works for me

jam-bo

So all this chat about photos and nobody’s mentioned the rankings. As far as I can see on the Android app all it tells me is my rank on a segment and not the total number of riders, so I could be 80th of 1000 or (prbably) 80th of 81 but can’t find that on the screen. Still at least a kom is still a kom…

iOS app has total number of ‘athletes’ on segment at the bottom of the page

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Can anyone on android tell me if there is a way of seeing your ranking out of the total riders for a segment ?
    Or is there a way to roll back to the previous version ?

gren
    Free Member

Click on the segment in a ride and you now get your place on a load of leaderboards – all time, this year, following, clubs, age etc. You van then click on each of these leaderboards to see the detail

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

gren,thanks for the reply.

Tried that but all I can discover is that I’m 17th fastest for instance and then the list ends at 19.

Seems to be a similar pattern for all segments, my result then a few below, whether I’m top 20 or top 600.

Maybe you have to go premium for the additional data ?

Discovered you can see everything on the website though.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’ve clearly ballsed up the android version.

There’s probably a thread about it on the strava forum already if you have time to look.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

There are other forums ?

scotroutes

It obviously still works for me as I’m at work the bottom of the list anyway

richardthird

Re Android, I agree it really should show eg 999/1000, but I really like the snapshot of all time/this year/following etc and also the performance quartile icon ( 😐 ) alongside gives a hint of yr crapness.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

I think I am going to give up Strava cold turkey. Just because it has started to take over riding a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Strava update’ is closed to new replies.