Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Strava – Time Ranking
  • thepurist

(Usual Strava disclaimers apply)

Is there a site that shows the ranking in terms of discrete times rather than in terms of number of riders, e.g. if the top times in a segment are 1:00, 1:30, 1:30, 1:30, 2:00 then the rider with 2:00 would know that they have the 3rd best time rather than being the 5th ranked rider.

mudshark
    Free Member

Not being funny but what’s the point in what you want?

jam-bo

it does this already.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Write one? Why does it matter?

trail_rat
    Free Member

no matter how you interpret the data your still 5th 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

jam-bo

it does this already.

actually, your right, it doesn’t.

raceshape might.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d like percentiles – top 10 places on segments with 1000s of riders is of little use.

thepurist

What’s the point? Just a different way of looking at the data. On busy segments I’d expect that times would approach a normal distribution, so there will be a big clustering of times around the mean. In that area a small change to your time can make a big change to your apparent ranking, but in fact your time is only 2 or 3 steps up from where it was – as you approach the tails of the curve the opposite applies.

dannybgoode

What is Strava?

Cheers

Danny B

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I reckon the overall leaderboard would be cool, there’d obviously still be the top ten runs by people who warmed up, climbed it then rode home, but it would be cool to see what their more normal times looked like.

On the other hand Froome and Contador won’t have ridden your segement, so being number 1 is fairly meaningless. There’s a few segments I try hard on because I think they’re worthwhile (namely The long Stickler and full loops at Swinely), but appart from that I just like to see PR’s as there’ll always be someone doing the downhills on a FS bike and the climbs on a CX bike who’ll beat me, but the longer segments and the overall are harder to fiddle.

jam-bo

On the other hand Froome and Contador won’t have ridden your segement, so being number 1 is fairly meaningless. There’s a few segments I try hard on because I think they’re worthwhile

ToB came through a lot of our local climbs last year. the top 20 on most of those are well out of reach…

atlaz
    Free Member

I have the same problem around here. There’s a couple of pro races in the country and every single time they’re through here Strava times fall dramatically. That said, you know who the pro riders are so you can safely ignore them. That said, it’d be nice if you could filter the riders who flag themselves as pro to get a more achievable ranked list.

On the other hand, knowing just how much faster a rider in a development team is, never mind a world tour team, is always interesting.

cookeaa

I don’t really follow OP, What exactly are you after?

Strava already tells you your position/rank for any given segment you have a time on, it’ll even let you appear better than you really are by filtering out girls or people in different age brackets if you want

The simple truth is that rider in your example is 5th, there are 4 people who are faster, massaging the facts won’t make him/her any faster

There has to come a point where data filtering based ego stroking ends, and you just accept that you need to train more…

antares
    Free Member

You might find what your after here
    http://veloviewer.com/

But like most people say, whats the point?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I wrote to strava suggesting that they should wipe all the leader boards every 1st of Jan thus removing all the slightly suspect times and boosting post xmas exercise. They said they would give it due consideration, which I guess will mean no.

The simple truth is that rider in your example is 5th, there are 4 people who are faster, massaging the facts won’t make him/her any faster

Clicking on age group only sometimes reduces the pain, but deep down the truth can’t be denied.

will
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    no matter how you interpret the data your still 5th

😆

atlaz
    Free Member

I can understand wanting a “bracket” of similar riders, but the only way to judge this would be to process data to find out who is actually similar rather than an arbitrary time bracket. I do this sort of informally as I know the riders around here similar to me so I know that on the flat, I’m pretty much on a par with them but when it gets steep, they leave me standing. Tells me where to improve. I doubt I’d get that with a time bracket.

cookeaa

Maybe you should write to them and ask Strava to add a “Lie to Me” button next to your user profile, where it just makes you look **** awesome regardless of how harsh the truth is.

Yay!

thepurist

Interesting that many of you think the aim of this is to generate a faster (sounding) result. Here’s a worked example (possibly with fuzzy errors in the numbers, my brain is full of other stuff)…

Say you’re currently ranked 101st on a segment but are 1 second slower than a group of 50 people who all have the same time. The top 50 are all way quicker and have set unique times, so you’ve actually got the 52nd best time.

You go out and record a PB with a 2 second improvement. Suddenly you’re not ranked at 101 but have shot all the way up to 51, wow what an improvement! But you’ve only improved your time by 1 step up from where you were before, from 52 to 51. No biggy.

Which one is the most honest way of looking at your performance?

ETA – I know they’re both ending at #51 in this example, but that’s just so it’s easy to work out!

mudshark
    Free Member

Um still pointless IMO.

Of course if there really are 50 people 1 second faster than you then there’s a great incentive to do a segment a little more quickly – if you really care.

Percentiles would be nice though – top 10% means more than top 10 to me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Most honest way —
    You rode it two seconds faster than you did last time. Some one else may ride it a bit faster, or not, but you rode it that fast, cos that’s how fast you were. Some people who don’t use strava may have also ridden this route and they may or may not be faster than you but you’ll never know. But still you rode it two seconds faster than last time. Well done you. Keep it up.

mudshark
    Free Member

Cycling Weekly’s RiTMO score could be interesting but it’s early days for that – links with Strava so no real hassle to use.

DougD

Brilliant, I can just picture the scene now…

*comes in from ride, syncs strava*

“YES!!!!, 5th fastest time!
    Darling come and look at this, look there, I got the 5th fastest time on <blah blah blah>”

OH – “Oh well done you, that must have been quick”

*OH looks at segment page*

OH – “But is says that you’re 50 / 50 people, so does that not mean that you’re actually last?”

OP – “No no, ignore that, 5th fastest time!, that’s what matters, that’s what counts, almost podium place that. 5th fastest time, belter.”

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Just go out on a windy day, you’ll get that elusive 5th fastest time with that raging Force 8 tailwind.

We all love one-way wind assisted time trials dont we? A real measure of personal fitness/skills progress, eh?

atlaz
    Free Member

Percentiles would be nice though – top 10% means more than top 10 to me.

You can’t work out the percentile from the fact you’re 45th out of 120?

We all love one-way wind assisted time trials dont we? A real measure of personal fitness/skills progress, eh?

That’s why I love this dual use road down in a valley. As the valley is steep and twists and turns there’s rarely any section with wind. Nice measure of fitness.

mudshark
    Free Member

You can’t work out the percentile from the fact you’re 45th out of 120?

I can work out all sorts of things but that’s not really the point now is it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you really want to see improvements, and get fitter, buy a powermeter and download golden cheatah, for inacurate cock bolstering and false hero worship there’s STRAVA.

While you could get overly preocupied trying to make your results look good I think that’s rather missing the point. I’ve set myself a handfull of targeted segements but they’re 20min+ hills and 1hour laps, they’re a test of fitness, being 51st out of 120 on a 20 second segment tells you precicely nothing.

jam-bo

being 51st out of 120 on a 20 second segment tells you precicely nothing.

what about being 1/39 on an 8sec segment… 😀 8)

http://app.strava.com/segments/3729377

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Strava – Time Ranking’ is closed to new replies.