Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Strava switches to Open Street Map, bins Google Maps, lots of anger…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/95423147

Checked the areas I ride around and lots are missing, blurry, and can’t be zoomed into, also street view is gone for good.

Segment creation and segments a key part of Strava are impossible with OSM in many areas.

A toggle between google and OSM would be the way forward.

Please comment on the feedback post if affected.

allthepies
    Free Member

Plugins are available for Chrome which will switch the maps to google / OS etc etc

bigjim

Are people really getting upset about this?

jam-bo

They look better to me round here.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t get it, hadn’t noticed a difference.

kerley
    Free Member

That is way better than it used to be. Crystal clear maps with all the single track and fire roads much each too see amongst the trees.

But always remember – change is bad

jam-bo

the terrain map on dartmoor is much better than the vague thing the google terrain map used to be.

cchris2lou

Looks better to me too

cookeaa

Does the map source really matter? The GPS data stays the same right?

So what’s actually been lost/gained?

fubar
    Free Member

The loss of Street View makes it harder to work out accurately where segments start and finish for those who care….but it’s okay because all you have to do is but one of the the new GPS units with live segments from Strava’s ‘partner’ Garmin. Mmm, nice earner to push sales of new Garmin units and Strava premium subscription !?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Segment creation and segments a key part of Strava are impossible with OSM in many areas.

All looks fine to me. Maybe the Brits are just better at updating OSM in the first place?
    I didn’t even realize you could use street view until reading this thread. Never had any problems locating start and stops without it.
    Just checked, I still get google maps on segment explore, but can’t see any street view option. Do people really mean street view?

theflatboy
    Free Member

fubar – Member
    The loss of Street View makes it harder to work out accurately where segments start and finish for those who care….

I love a KOM as much as anyone, but seriously – that would never have even have occurred to me… 😆

jam-bo

I’ve never seen the google street view cars on my local single track either…

survivor

This could be to please the iPhone users. Since Apple stopped using Google maps I don’t think you could view your routes on those devices anymore.

timmys

This could be to please the iPhone users. Since Apple stopped using Google maps I don’t think you could view your routes on those devices anymore.

?

You can use Google Maps on an iPhone. You can see Google Maps embedded in any app or webpage on an iPhone.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think the switch to OpenStreetMap is great. Around here OSM is a lot more useful for cycling or running, as it has loads of paths or forest tracks that aren’t on Google Maps (mostly because I mapped them myself).

I’ve never used Streetview in Strava, so I don’t care about that.
    Though the Mapbox satellite images are a bit poor in places, quite a lot seems to be obscured by clouds, or only in black and white. Hopefully this can improved.

Garry_Lager

allthepies – Member

Plugins are available for Chrome which will switch the maps to google / OS etc etc Is there an OS plugin allthepies? Would love to see one, the veloviewer mapflipper died a while ago and that was great.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Streetview will be missed, i used that regularly for checking out hills and corners before road racing if i didnt get a chance to ride it beforehand. Can obviously still do it via google but its less convenient

Northwind

I noticed that the glentress trails actually show up as map features now as well as segments, I don’t know how widespread that is but it’s a nice touch.

spawnofyorkshire

Is there an OS plugin that works on android?

I’m still seeing google maps but the osm coverage is very good most places I ride so I’m not fussed if it does switch over

kbomb
    Free Member

Much better round here. Not only do all the trails show up, lots of them are named too.

The more OpenStreetMap is used by third parties, the better the ddata will get. If your area is missing map features, you could always put them in yourself, and help the community out, there are lots of ways of helping out:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing

nemesis
    Free Member

I can imagine that given the UK is quite densely populated, OSM isn’t going to be a big issue for us – I use it regularly as it’s often better than OS maps IME and certainly more up to date for mtb trails.

If you’re in the US for example, I can imagine that with people much more spread out, it may not be so good.

jam-bo

I noticed that the glentress trails actually show up as map features now as well as segments, I don’t know how widespread that is but it’s a nice touch.

extras like that are largely crowdsourced kinda depends if you have a local map nerd editing and improving the maps.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds good as it will push more data onto OSM improving it further.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep, agree with that.

I also have veloviewer premium which pulls in the strava data anyway and gives me the option to see it on OS maps. Given the inclusion of OSM on strava now, I might not need veloviewer any more.

franki
    Free Member

I have the same issue as the OP. (I only use Strava on the PC – no apps.)
    If I zoom in to look at a ride in more detail with the satellite view, much of the area goes low-res and shows no detail – pretty much useless.

nemesis
    Free Member

Funny. I don’t get that. Maybe it’s location specific – eg their satellite imagery is crap in some places.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Strava switches to Open Street Map, bins Google Maps, lots of anger…’ is closed to new replies.