• This topic has 53 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Strava suspected cheats….
  • yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not really taken an interest in this up to now, but this morning I discovered a segment that starts at the end of my road..
    It would be rude not to really..
    I’d be very surprised if anyone had managed to take a scooter up this particular climb, although someone may have done it on a motocross bike I guess..

I’m off to embarrass myself a bit later today.. 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, those guys are taking it a bit seruiously. How long until the first Strava fisticuffs?

continuity
    Free Member

The strava cheats I loathe are the ones that cut new corners into tracks to save time.

I regularly stop my rides to put the largest logs and thorny bushes I can find across said shortcut, especially if it is blind.

transapp
    Free Member

Blimey, it’s all a bit serious isn’t it! Strava’s a laugh, and pretty inaccurate on many devices. If your only doing a 2 min segment and getting a 25s (I’ve seen it, myself and mate on iPhone 4s’s, me leading down a track i knew and he didn’t, I pulled out a 40yard lead, he beat me by 25 secs on Strava…) error i your log, and you’ll be fighting forever.

There is one guy around me who beats me so comprehensively its untrue though, I get second places all over the shop, he halves my time. The only way I can stay with an ounce of self respect is to assume he’s on a m/x bike!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Absolutely it should be a bit of a laugh. Those roadies arguing about whether it’s fair to do segments when you’re fresh… words fail me.

I still think people who intentionally disrupt other people having a bit of a laugh are cocks.

imnotverygood

If anyone says ‘why don’t you join a club & race ‘ I think I’ll just have to refer them to the bickering on that thread. Sad indeed.

onehundredthidiot

I use it to give me a target and ONLY for climbs, too many variable in mtb decents. I only ever take my own rides seriously but I do know that the others that log times are local and the majority of the fast ones are club riders. As for GT or popular trail centres I go for fun not for fast times.

DT78
    Free Member

Pretty certain he wasn’t genuine, I spent a little time browsing his rides (like I do anyone who is a bit quicker than me) and he had bugger all recorded rides other than 5 or 6 very short rides round the city which seemed to only be the segments all of which he’d got KOM’s on.

For someone that fast you’d expect a significant amount of mileage and KOM’s outside of the city centre. Plus he max’d at 36mph up that hill.

Well if he was genuine I expect to see him back on the leader board making a point.

bigpete2112
    Free Member

Good ole Strava wars.
    A mate of mine has KOM on “Brain Freeze” in Hamsterley but only because the trail runs alongside the forest access road and he forgot to turn off the app as he drove home, he has literally halved the previous best time, so now he gets tons of abuse. I think he has tried to wipe it but I think, so far, with little success..

MrSalmon
    Free Member

ts all fun though .. if he used his push bike or his motor bike .. he still having a giggle because somebody is getting worked up about it.

You seem to think that people are a bit sad if they’re disappointed when people set out to spoil a good thing for everyone else for no other reason than because they can.

But you don’t think that someone that does stuff like that for “a giggle” is pretty damn sad?

Each to their own. Somebody else had it right, children and sandcastles on the beach. You don’t have to have your knickers in a twist to see when something is really, really lame.

trickydisco
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

No point getting worked up about it, all sorts of people use Strava they just try to beat their mates not random cyclists or runners.
    I know people that use it for seeing who’s the quickest on trail bikes [with engines] on certain sections, I also heard that skiers use it and I’d be fairly certain that it’s used on tarmac sections for sports motorbikes

Unless you actually know who it is who’s faster than you and what they used, there’s little point in trying to compete with them, they probably aren’t competing with you.

jambo13
    Free Member

Hi there,

Just to comment on this, I hadn’t realise all the chat till Paul mentioned this on our ride round Lordswood tonight.

I was KOM on this segment (shared with DT78) until Dave Short took it. I was flipping confused when I got another email over the weekend saying I’d lost it, thought he’d got it months ago but it all makes more sense now.

I did it on my Sant Cruz Tallboy, which as mentioned previously is built up fairly strong (28lb) with proper tyres as I’m a big guy and tend to break things (my last bike was like trigger’s broom after a year!)

I was a little bit gutted when I lost my KOM, but then clocked his rides and figured he must be on a road bike so ain’t too fussed. As long as I’m beating my mates and annoying them it’s all good 😀

I definitely think his time is do-able on slicks, I had another run at it y’day and equalled my PB but wasn’t feeling too great also, so I reckon I can shave another second or two off with a bit more speed on the downhill run in and locking out the suspension for the climb.

😀

DT78
    Free Member

Yea saw his time was back, check out the ride he did, 1 hr round soton, 4 koms. So seems very handy. Still slightly suspicious as for someone who can average 28 mph up a short 5% climb I,d expect an hour average of more than 16mph. I average more than that on 100 milers. Also he appears no where on Winchester road descent, which the route goes through and would have expected a top 10…

Anyway always good to have a bit of a target to aim for!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Strava suspected cheats….’ is closed to new replies.