Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava stupidity
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

A mate of mine has posted up on Facebook, via Strava, some of his training rides for a sponsored C2C he is doing. Whilst looking through the route part of it was along the Spen Valley Greenway/Sustrans Route 66 which I run along. I was genuinely shocked to see on the leaderboard that some people have been reaching speeds of nearly 30mph on a tarmac path that is barely 2mtrs wide, twisty and slippery when wet whilst being very popular dog walkers, family walkers and runners. What kind of retard, Kieren Manchester current fastest, think it’s acceptable ride at these speeds on what is a glorified footpath? Secondly, can Strava be held jointly responsible in the event of a serious accident for encouraging this kind of stupidity?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There are some inconsiderate taunts out there who will seek KOMs at the expense of all around them.

wwaswas

People rode at that speed before strava, you can just see that they have now.

scotroutes

No.

But Flag the segment and get it removed?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As long as he was shouting “STRAVAAAAAAA” as he did it, it’s acceptable. Walkers would stand back and applaud their kom.

scaredypants

Maybe the path was empty (and dry) when they rode it ?

2m wide would be fine for 30mph if so

craigxxl
    Free Member

Very rarely empty unless late at night and even then you have a few dog walkers about which make you jump as you go round a bend as the majority of it is unlit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As above . I did one locally at 2 in the morning on my tt bike after getting back on a late train that was delayed. Never met a soul , was bliss compared to the usual hell that shared path is.

Amaizing how quick you can get home when you were supposed to be home 4 hours ago….

Oh and fwiw i did flag it up as dangerous sections but muppets keep reinstating it.

IanMunro
    Free Member
    craigxxl
    Free Member

No, they actually call it “Please do not speed on the greenway”

http://www.strava.com/segments/please-do-not-speed-on-the-greenway-9001267

craigxxl
    Free Member

As above . I did one locally at 2 in the morning on my tt bike after getting back on a late train that was delayed. Never met a soul , was bliss compared to the usual hell that shared path is.

The leaderboard shows it was part of a 34 mile ride between Huddersfield and Leeds. Strange route for a night ride home, must of got lost too as he seemed to go round Dewsbury both ways.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tell the strava police. Think he was on here moaning about motorpacing pros last week.

Mines was part of a 12 mile ride into the middle of no where from town. Would look odd to anyone looking at it also.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve got a KOM on a section of the Caledonian Canal towpath hereabouts. I use it at night in winter with 1500 lumens on the bars. Rarely see a soul. More chance of hitting a deer or sheep I would think. Before that I lived in Glasgow and regularly battered the cyclepath from Cambuslang to Glasgow Green and back.

Mind you, if the segment is endlessly blind corners I take the OP’s point. Otherwise it sounds like a rant because he’s not as fast.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Username CraigXXL – do you think I even try and compete at these things.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The leaderboard shows it was part of a 34 mile ride between Huddersfield and Leeds. Strange route for a night ride home, must of got lost too as he seemed to go round Dewsbury both ways.

Clicking on his name it looks like his regular commute.
    He also did it from pretty much a standing start, so whatever the rights or wrongs, the blokes got some watts.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

At night with the solar storm X1000000 just watch out for the badgers 😆

TheSanityAssassin

That bugger’s on a lot of top 10s round my way too (Golcar/Colne Valley), but I only take an interest in my stats from my ride and don’t choose routes specifically to go KOM hunting. He’s generally somewhere high-up on the leaderboard if I bag a top 10 though.

tillydog
    Free Member

… whatever the rights or wrongs, the blokes got some watts.

Probably on an e-bike too, then… 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The leaderboard shows it was part of a 34 mile ride between Huddersfield and Leeds.

Clicking on his name it looks like his regular commute.

So this bloke rides this nearly every day on a commute but strava told him he had to race it? Damm the mind control is getting better, I hate it when the garmin connects to my brain and makes me do stuff.

Perhaps he was late, maybe it was empty, maybe he’s just a tool

Secondly, can Strava be held jointly responsible in the event of a serious accident for encouraging this kind of stupidity?

Really? There is a massive disclaimer that tells you not to be a knob. It seemed to work in the US where the guy hit a bus or something trying to get a KOM, strava isn’t the problem here.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Some charmer has actually segmented the canal towpath down our way in to tt sections. However you simply can’t ride that fast unless it’s v early or late. Quite a few militant dog walkers down there also who will see you in the water rather than move over.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@wrightyson, sounds pretty good that 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava stupidity’ is closed to new replies.