Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strava stopped working on Android Watch
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a Sony Smartwatch 3, which is 10 months old. I’ve used Strava on it since I got it and it’s been fine. In the last fortnight every time I’ve opened Strava on it to record a ride it’s said “Unfortunately Strava has stopped”.

I’ve reset the watch. Reconnected it to the phone. Removed Strava from my phone and reinstalled it. Cleared Strava’s cache. None of this has helped, and I can’t find anything on Google about this being a problem for anyone else.

Has anyone else had similar trouble and managed to sort it? Does it sound like an app issue (all other apps work) or a watch issue?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve not used Strava on my Ssw3 for a while, I will try and remember to take it out with me over the next few days and report back here.

Couple of other apps to try on the watch are Ghostracer (Pro only £3 one off) and Endomondo.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was going to stick Endomondo on it for now as a fudge, but I’d rather the app I want to use just worked!

Edit – turns out Endomondo won’t automatically send stuff to Strava, so I can’t use that. Are there any apps that will do this?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not sure if Endomondo can be linked directly to Strava, you can link it to Google Fit and then export the fit file to Strava.

Ghostracer can be linked directly.

Trying another app should help determine whether it’s your watch or the Strava app playing up.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Good point, I’ll try it with Endomondo now.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Endomondo works, must be a Strava issue. The problem with that, as anyone who’s had an issue with Strava will know, is that if you ask them you’ll never hear back about it. Oh well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just updated my Ssw3 and “Unfortunately, Strava has stopped” appears as soon as app is lunched. 👿

Popping out shortly on bike, will see how Ghostracer Pro does compared to my Lezyne Super GPS.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not long back from ride…

Sony Smartwatch 3 saw it as http://www.strava.com/activities/1246550340 (started recording ~30secs after leaving home on flat road, watch GPS needs movement to get lock, at least in Ghostracer)

Lezyne Super GPS saw it as https://www.strava.com/activities/1246555421 (after using Strava option to correct elevation data, originally saw it as 3005 feet IIRC)

Not the best comparison, as it was loops, but it is was it is. 😉

Ghostracer can pair with my Polar HRM and re-badged Wahoo cadence sensor, but I kept them on Lezyne as per normal since buying it mid summer.

Anyway… Stretches, food, fluid!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Glad to know it’s not just me. How did you get Strava to record? Using your phone I assume?

zippykona

MySony Smartwatch doesn’t have Google Maps on it. Then one day it magically appeared. It disappeared again when I reset my watch.
    Still waiting for it’s return.

gwurk
    Free Member

SONY is my favourite electronic gadget manufacturer.
    the logo is just so aesthetically pleasing.
    All their products are terrible though. They’re rarely updated and rarely even work properly with other SONY products nevermind other manufacturers.
    Every one of them.

Moral of my story: Don’t buy SONY products unless it’s just to look at that lovely lovely logo.

Trust me on this.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Glad to know it’s not just me. How did you get Strava to record? Using your phone I assume?

I used Ghostracer Pro app, while in standalone mode for GPS tracking, just like Strava (when it was working) and Endomondo (you can do GPS on mobile to conserve watch battery).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bravetheskies.ghostracer&hl=en_GB

There is a free version of Ghostracer, which records rides fine. But for what was a £3 one-off payment for the Pro version, you can increase the number of ghost segments from the very limited two on the free version to unlimited.

On the SSW3, ghost comparisons (against any ride up a segment, from you or others) are limited to visual only, because apparently the SSW3 does not have the tech to give audio feedback. On newer Android Wear 2 watches, they can do audio feedback just like Android phones, up to something like 5 times over the segment (saying how far ahead/behind the ghost you are at that moment in time).

Lots of settings to play with, including adding a map screen (like in Endomondo), which I only discovered mid summer after having the app since Feb.

@zippykona Have you launched Android Wear app on your Android device linked with SS3, connected with watch and then hit the option “re-sync all apps with watch” (or something similar) in the options?

Seems like we have a case to report to Strava to fix their app, like I said I had not used the SSW3 for rides for several months, so no idea when the bug kicked in.

zippykona

Yes done the sync apps thing many times.
    This morning Maps reappeared but couldn’t find my location. As strava wasn’t working I did a reset and Maps disappeared again.
    Strava was the only thing it was good at . Now it doesn’t even do that.
    Piece of shit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strava stopped working on Android Watch’ is closed to new replies.