Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Strava Rapha Rising Challenge
  • MrSparkle

Who else has signed up fer it then? Going to be a bit tricky at 22,575 feet between July 15-22 but at the moment I am pissed enough to say I’ll have a go!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A combination of Rapha and Strava?

Taff
    Free Member

I’m flying to Stockholm on the 15th… how high do planes fly?!

MrSparkle

Flashy – can’t make Rapha + Strava = D Fens 😉

dobo
    Free Member

i just signed up, but realistically i dont even know if im riding my bike then, havnt ridden it for a few weeks!! but will hit the southdowns maybe and see how we go, maybe..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Just signed up for it. Over 3000ft of climbing per day. I’ve no chance.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

3000ft per day would be pretty do-able if I lived somewhere hilly. The only way to get sort of height around Fife is to do hill reps or a longer 50/60 miles ride which I don’t have time for really. Signed up regardless though 😛

MrSparkle

Bump for Sat night

MrSparkle

How are we doing?

jam-bo

http://app.strava.com/rides/13491877

that’s the way to do it…in a day…

yesterday morning got me to 8%, i reckon at a push I might get to 50%.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Managed to bag 1,545m last night which is approx 22% of total. Shall rest now till wednesday then do all three climbs over the Bwlch to see how I get on with the one day challenge. Judging by how my legs feel today I may be requiring my nans mobility scooter thursday!! Hows everyone else getting on?

Teifiterror
    Free Member

2,004m yesterday, try and get another thousand this evening, want to get most of if done early in the week. If the weather is nice I will go for a big ride for the one day challenge but realistically wont get anywhere near the vertical climbing of some so not too fussed about it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I reckon its easily achievable if you’ve got the time, like a weeks holiday for example. Did a 45 mile road yesterday with 1000 metres of climbing and a 25 mile ride on Saturday with around 500 metres, but my ride to work and back only accumulates around 450 metres climbing so not easily achievable for me.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Grr, I’ve been robbed, this morning’s commute home from work started at nearly 900′ for some reason (it should have been 35′). I’ve ended up recording around 600ft less than normal 😥
    I’ve just uploaded the same ride to Garmin Connect, and using elevation correction it comes to 1300′ (it only shows 873 on Strava).

bikebouy
    Free Member

I completed the Winter one Rapha did, din’t do that well considering most of the folks that entered were based in the USA and/or Southern Europe.. but for an Englishman riding through our winter, I didn’t do too bad at all.

Not entering this one, it’s got Strava in it..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Out of interest what’s considered a decent amount of climbing on a road ride?

ie 500 fet per 10 miles or something?

jam-bo

round here (edge of dartmoor) I tend to average 1000ft/10 miles

Gary_M
    Free Member

So 1000 metres climbing in 45 miles isn’t particulalry hilly then?

brassneck

Out of interest what’s considered a decent amount of climbing on a road ride?

Dunno, but it should be measured in metric units 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Easier to round up to 500 feet than type 152.4m 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

Robin Squire From Lynton (on the edge of Exmoor) has already completed it. 😯
    And he’s still only second.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So 1000 metres climbing in 45 miles isn’t particulalry hilly then?

it is, 1000ft isn’t though.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

got 6,568ft of climbing for 56 miles, or 1172ft/10 miles. Lots of nice 20% hills help with this but definitely don’t help me get out of bed the next day

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Managed 1489m yesterday. We’ll have to see how the rest of week goes!

MrSparkle

I’m on 2,052 m at the mo. Got the ride home and possibly a quick whizz out later depending on the weather/time. If I get both in then that should yield me another 764m or thereabouts.

mudshark
    Free Member

I did 13,000 in a week back in May – in the Circle of Death. Unfortunately I now have bronchitis so will manage none this week.

warton
    Free Member

I’m at a festival this weekend, so I won’t get it. got 3500m on sunday over 125 miles, and at one point was 8th in the UK. My commute is 150Metres in a round trip, so no way of getting it this week, as I’m on training, with no extra time for longer rides

My mate also did that ride yesterday, and he’s doing a C2C2C on saturday so he’s a shoe in for it, gutted I can’t do that….

Dibbs
    Free Member

Grrr, flippin Garmin 800 recorded even less climbing on today’s commute home than it did yesterday (exactly the same route which should be 1300ft,ish). By the time I got home the GPS was telling me I was 750ft below sea level. 😯

davidjey
    Free Member

This is just what I needed to get motivated to have a ‘hard week’ in this weather! 33%/2400m done so far. I live in S Wales so have the terrain on my side.

1500m climbing on the MTB on Sunday, round trip commute by bike yesterday (70 miles/1000m but the rubbish phone GPS only logged about 80% of the elevation gain :evil:). Will do another commute by bike on Friday, couple of 1-2 hour hilly MTB rides in the next three evenings, and see how much that leaves me to do over the weekend. I feel a Saturday morning trip over the Bwlch before meeting the club run coming on…

MrSparkle

43% now. Ride home might bring it to 50%. Going to be tough to complete now – fell race on Saturday and away on hol first thing Sunday.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’m new to Strava, so sorry if this is a daft question.

The rules of the challenge are as follows

Each meter you climb while cycling must be logged on the Site and cannot be inputted manually. For more information regarding how to log your rides on the Site, please see Strava’s How It Works page. Any form of entry and participation in the Skill Challenge other than that described herein is void.

Does that mean I have to record all rides using the phone app? The reason I ask is I’m not sure the battery will last long enough so was thinking of logging using a garmin etrex and uploading to the site…or is that classed as inputting manually?

warton
    Free Member

logging via Garmin is fine. I logged a ride on Sunday using a Garmin 500 no problem, and it shows in the Rapha Challenge. There’s an option in Strava to manually enter a ride via keyboard entry. These ‘rides’ won’t be valid.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Upto 2027m now. I very much doubt Im going to make it but hey ho its the taking part & all that jazz.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only managed 1 ride so far but just shy of 1500m done, might kill me if I try for the lot. Knew I should have gone out in the rain earlier

MrSparkle

56% done now. Just said on Twitter that it’s becoming more the Cirque de Trench Foot than the Circle of Death :0/

MrSparkle

82% today and I am knackered!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

round here (edge of dartmoor) I tend to average 1000ft/10 miles

That’s pretty hilly, I’m on the north edge of the Yorkshire Moors, the best I can string together is 500m in 15miles which is arround the same. If I wanted to do more it’d have to be hill repeats to avoid flat-ish linking bits. Any hillier than 1000ft/10miles and I reckon you’d be looking at gradients too steep to ride up. Yesterdays TDF stage was about 1000ft/10miles and looked pretty brutal!

Teifiterror
    Free Member

As I said most of my rides are over 1000ft/10 miles (1100ft usually) so don’t see why it would be too steep to ride at higher than this? steepest around here is 25% with most around 10% for any significant amount of time with steeper ramps. Hard work yes but definitely nowhere near unrideable.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Upto 2971m, I won’t make it as I’m away for the next couple of days & no bike.. 😥

MrSparkle

On 90% now. Gonna put this rascal to bed tomorrow morning. Get in!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Strava Rapha Rising Challenge’ is closed to new replies.