Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Strava Question…
  • panzerjager
    Free Member

Hi, im a very sporadic user of Strava, but am living away from home with some great riding local to me, but as usual, local knowledge is King!
    I have found a great group of guys to ride with on a Tuesday evening but would like to re-visit some of the routes in my own time. Is it possible to turn the routes I already have on Strava into a turn by turn guide, either on Strava or another IOS app?
    I’ve had a google but it seems a bit of a mine field…

Thanks for you help.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t think Strava app will do turn by turn. If you had a Garmin that does turn by turn you can get the GPX for the route and turn it into a route for the Garmin. It takes a little bit of faffing to get onto a Garmin, and getting a GPX off Strava that isn’t your own ride requires a premium account or asking the person for the GPX file.

There are likely other apps for the phone that will do turn by turn. Don’t know much about iPhone apps though so can’t comment, except if you want something that you can pull out and check the route then ViewRanger is worth a look. Not sure but it might do live turn by turn.

Noting that off road turn-by-turn is tricky when trails are close together. GPS isn’t that accurate, though you soon find out when you’re down the wrong one.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Cheers deadkenny,
    The routes are my own, I’ve already ridden them with the group, but would like them to be a bit more familiar & have had difficulty finding them on my own.
    Its amazing how little attention you pay to direction when you’re just blindly following others!

May have to go down the Garmin/GPS route soon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Its amazing how little attention you pay to direction when you’re just blindly following others!

Yeah, that’s why I like to get out on my own and explore. I do similar and try to follow routes I’ve done with others, though have a fairly decent memory of routes (oddly of nothing else though, especially people’s names!), and sense of direction plus ability to just recognise stuff as I’m going. I’ll research online first and then try to discover it all. Maybe use an app with a route to check if I’m in the right area occasionally. I’ve got a Garmin but mine doesn’t have maps. It does do breadcrumb trails to follow but a bit tricky to use.

panzerjager
    Free Member

I’ve just done a little more digging & it seems Co-Pilot app may do the trick.
    Have loaded the .gpx from Strava & will give it a crack tomorrow. As you rightly say, once I begin I’m sure a lot of things will look familiar, hopefully this will fill in the gaps.
    I’ll update this thread as to how it goes, in case others can benefit from the info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Strava Question…’ is closed to new replies.