Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Strava question?
  • BigEls
    Free Member

Can I see a friends mountain bike ride route and then use strava to guide me like google maps telling me where to go during a ride?

Is this a feature on Strava?

Ells

jekkyl

yes, if you are a premir member you can download anyone’s ride as a gpx, upload it to your garmin and off you go.
    Any strava member can take down their own gpx for any ride without being a premium member.

wwaswas

Kind of.

You can create a Route from someone elses ride and then export it and use it in a Garmin etc but I don’t think Strava will do the live turn by turn thing.

acidtest
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Strava route feature is pretty rubbish, you basically just get an orange line on a map to follow and if you’ve starred a load of segments then you get a bunch of orange lines all intersecting.

The only way I know is to use OSMAND which will give you spoken turn by turn navigation. You’ll need to export the gpx from strava then save it in the right folder for OSMAND to recognise it then you can use it as a route.

If you just need a big arrow telling you the direction and a good map to follow then Viewranger is excellent but doesn’t have the turn by turn.

ceepers

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

this will let you export a garmin course from anyones strava ride for free. Put the course in a garmin to get turn by turn.

I think there is an app that will do turn by turn, might be called bike hub but I might just be imagining that

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can’t remember if it’s Strava or Viewfinder where the route stuff is limited in that you have to do the route yourself first to be able to save it as a route. Something daft like that.

With a Garmin, you can use various Garmin tools (inc Basecamp) to turn a GPX into a Garmin route. Don’t need Strava for it, unless you want to grab someone else’s Strava ride in which case you either need Strava Premium, or ask the person nicely to send you a GPX.

Turn by turn is tricky with MTB as you can’t often correlate a turn with the actual location where there may be multiple tracks heading off from the direction it’s pointing in, and it’s can’t tell you to turn left at that tree, but not that tree, etc 😉

acidtest
    Free Member

As per ceepers post, if you haven’t got Strava premium you can use http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/ to grab the gpx.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Strava question?’ is closed to new replies.