• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Strava pokes fun at Soft Southern Shandies!
  • midlifecrashes

According to this Telegraph article.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11287454/Does-the-north-south-cycling-divide-exist.html

Caption: The rolling hills of Yorkshire are a test for even the best cyclists

njee20
    Free Member

It would be interesting to know what happens if you take London out of the South (as I’m assuming it’s included there).

JoB
    Free Member

“So while the stats may not bear out the great north-south divide in cycling…”

let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good* story

*quick

sheck

Seems to imply that riders who live in hilly areas ride more hills than those who live in flat areas… .?

imnotverygood

It’s funny to see the Etape CLedonia route standing out in isolation in rural Perthshire.

STATO
    Free Member

Given that strava have never given the user any benefit/options that come from clicking the ‘commute’ button, how many people actually use it? and how much does that skew the figures (assuming thats how they determine what a commute is).

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Does it take into account all the Southerners who have holiday homes in the North?

igm

According to the statistics, an average recreational (non-commute) ride in the north lasts for 2hr 21mins and covers 24.61 miles, while an average ride in the south takes less time (2hr 17mins) but covers an extra 0.2 miles.

Am I the only one who thinks that’s quite slow?

kilo

curiousyellow – Member

Does it take into account all the Southerners who have holiday homes in the North?

People go on holidays to the North? Are you sure, sounds a bit grim up there?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    It would be interesting to know what happens if you take London England out of the South (as I’m assuming it’s included there).

POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST FTFY

bob_summers

based on just under 8 million UK based non-commute rides

Doesn’t this rely on people ticking the commute box when they upload? I know I never bother.

rides in the north gain 398 metres in elevation – 119 metres more than in the south

Nobody comes out of this well…

midlifecrashes

You do know we have those hills in the picture to contend with up here in Yorkshire? 😉

Yes, 12-13mph is slow for a training ride, racing or sportive, but a lovely speed for touring and looking around you. I guess not all Stravaists are using it for performance sake, more recording and reliving afterward. Couldn’t say, I’m on Endomondo instead.

cultsdave
    Free Member

You are also assuming its taking into account only road cycling. 12-13mph average on an mtb round my local trails would be exceptionally fast. Lucky if we average 7-8mph!

jon1973
    Free Member

People go on holidays to the North? Are you sure, sounds a bit grim up there?

We went to the North Norfolk coast last year for a long weekend. That’s the North isn’t it?

sbob
    Free Member

Strava users and roadies are all a bunch of mincers, North or South.

🙂

midlifecrashes

Oh look, the journos must have read the comments, they’ve gone and changed the picture. 😆

Caption: The Lotto Belisol Team tackle a climb near Leyburn during a training run on the course for Stage 1 of the Race between Leeds and Harrogate

njee20
    Free Member

Good to see the willy waving out in the comments section:

The Lancashire club I was in didn’t do a ride less than 60 miles, with 60 to 90 being a normal Sunday ride. I’m now in the Cotswolds and some of the clubs here struggle to do 40 miles a ride

I do wonder when I see lycra clad Muppets in Richmond park how macho they would be on the North York Moors

🙄

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think I went to the North for a little holiday in July this year 😉

footflaps

Yep TdF went past the front door of the Northern residence of the ff estate.

mogrim

Doesn’t this rely on people ticking the commute box when they upload? I know I never bother.

They probably just excluded any ride under 10 miles / 1 hour.

igm

midlifecrashes – Member
    You do know we have those hills in the picture to contend with up here in Yorkshire?

I’ve heard of Yorkshire hills – to be fair I rarely see them as I live in York.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Being Southern (any further south and I’m in the Channel), NORTH starts at J6 of the M25. Much past the Thames and it’s “here there be tygers” on my map and going to Birmingham (training courses) is like travelling to another dimension.
    So is Yorkshire part of Lesser Lancashire?

ourmaninthenorth

Presumably, as one heads farther south and ends up in the Netherlands or Belgium, they’re all very slow and not at all good cyclists on account of it being as flat as a witch’s thr’penny bit?

ampthill

STRAVA doesn’t categories on road/off road does it?

stever
    Free Member

Scary figures for amount of time moving vs ride time. I’m lucky enough to pretty much ride for an hour if I go out for an hour. I live in the north, am a bit of a poofter but don’t drink shandy much. It’s all so confusing.

theotherjonv

How much difference does elevation make on a road ride? After all, assuming that you’ll start and finish at the same place, which should be true for 95+% of recreational rides, the more ascent means the more time spent freewheeling downhill at 40mph?

jam-bo

loads.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

According to the statistics, an average recreational (non-commute) ride in the north lasts for 2hr 21mins and covers 24.61 miles, while an average ride in the south takes less time (2hr 17mins) but covers an extra 0.2 miles.

Sorry, that’ll be my rides skewing the figures to such slowness* 😳

*Disclaimer- actually I don’t use Strava, I’m really even slower than that 😀 😆

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Interesting that the two graphs they show don’t actually include anywhere in the North!

ampthill

How much difference does elevation make on a road ride? After all, assuming that you’ll start and finish at the same place, which should be true for 95+% of recreational rides, the more ascent means the more time spent freewheeling downhill at 40mph?

It doesn’t work like that

Mainly as the high speed descent it to slow as wind drag goes as the square of the speed

I mean know one ever said. “The Tour moves the Alpes where the riding won’t be any harder”

chakaping
    Free Member

“So while the stats may not bear out the great north-south divide in cycling…”

let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good* an awesome story

FTFY smartarse.

Presumably, as one heads farther south and ends up in the Netherlands or Belgium, they’re all very slow and not at all good cyclists on account of it being as flat as a witch’s thr’penny bit?

Well durr, they’ll be populated by Belgians and Hollanders rather than southern jessies.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Reasonably slow for a road ride, but ok I’d say for an off road ride. As far as I can remember Strava can’t tell, or doesn’t ask, what kind of ride you’ve done.

kcal

If not a hotspot, there’s a heap of rides around here (Moray).

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Strava pokes fun at Soft Southern Shandies!’ is closed to new replies.