• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Mbnut.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Strava – mtb off road mileage curious
  • sirromj

Looking in the STW group, seems most high mileagers are almost exclusively road riding, so does anyone try to get in the miles off road, on MTB, week in, week out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ridden about 100km in total of the road bike this year the other 800km has been on the mountain bikes

njee20
    Free Member

Less than 500 miles in 3 months? It’s not really huge mileage 😉

there are a few. I’m not one of them. But then I don’t do many miles full stop these days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep not massive but all quality

nedrapier

25 miles a week on the commuter, no road rides, rest is off road. Mostly 12-20 mile rides round the hills from the door. Sometimes out a few times a week, sometimes miss a week.

GregMay
    Free Member

I pretty much only log MTB/canal miles. Usually 350 – 500km a week

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good thing I’m not in the STW group or some would be getting very upset. More than half of my 740 miles on Strava this year have been completed in the shed using trainer road 🙂 Probably average one off road ride a week but that will change now BST is here 😀

benp1

Obviously wasn’t paying attention, hadn’t even notived a Strava group, ta

Doesn’t show up on the app though, shame. Works fine online

coomber
    Free Member

I try and get out twice a week, usually in the rain and dark when the kids are asleep, on mtb only. That’s about 25-30 miles with the odd weekend treat too.

traildog
    Free Member

Out of interest, I find how much climbing done much more useful than distance traveled when comparing off road rides. A 50 mile ride along the canal can be no where near as difficult as a 20miles ride in the hills.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

When I’m in the groove, I ride for approx 8-10 hours a week. My mileage rarely breaks 40 in total for that time period.

As mike, I chase qualities of the trail not quantity of trail.

njee20
    Free Member

10 hours? 40 miles? Really? 😕

I realise I’m probably coming across as more of a dick than usual with my stellar contributions to this thread. But I am amused at chipping into a (vague) ‘big mileage’ thread with 50 miles/week!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If he rides in the Lakes, that’s about right!

njee20
    Free Member

4mph? That’s not right for anywhere with a bike!

Rubber_Buccaneer

At 4mph average it’s either hike a bike territory or a group ride involving punctures/clothing changes/food stops/chatting/etc/etc

andysredmini
    Free Member

My mileage varies week to week. Some weeks I may do 120 miles on the road. Some weeks I will do 100 miles off road. Other weeks I may spend more time on the bike but will only cover a couple of miles doing jumps. It varies too much to worry about it although my fitness definitely drops during summer when I spend all my rides playing instead of covering pointless miles like I do in the winter just to get out and do something.
    The only thing that remains constant on top of fun miles is the 40 odd miles I commute on road every week come rain or shine.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s all about grins though.

Are you high-milers grinning as much as this guy ???? down here.

Thought not.

Rubber_Buccaneer

What me? I’m not grinning I’m at work 🙁

br
    Free Member

Out of interest, I find how much climbing done much more useful than distance traveled when comparing off road rides. A 50 mile ride along the canal can be no where near as difficult as a 20miles ride in the hills.

+1

Often we’ve rides that are less than 15 miles, but have nearly 4000ft of climbing in them.

benp1

You’re just jealous of us folks that live in flat places where we can ride for miles with barely any elevation…

scotroutes

899km MTB, 333km road so far this year – and I reckon that’s strictly amateur level.

bruneep

I’d probably fall off due to boredom

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, I’ve reviewed my comments and we can probably push it up to 50.

Really, I’m just providing a counter point to the inevitable cock measuring that’s due to appear fairly soon.

We ride alot of bar-narrow off piste and rocky, rooty single track in a small group. There is open ground to bash out extra miles, but it’s used to link other more interesting things. Also, we’re not what you could call racers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well my mere 877km has given me 22,500m of climbing so I’m happy with that. For me the real challenge is building on what I’ve done hence my years challenge which should be back on track this month. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-2016-challenge

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi OP… I think you are fairly local to me if I have the right guy in mind…. down in Kent.

I have set a target of 60 off road miles a week (3120 for the year), this may not seem a lot but through the winter it has taken a fair bit of determination.

I am currently on 782 miles (1258km) which is 7 ahead of schedule apparently! There is some 17900m of climbing in there too…. not sure if that is a lot, mostly I ride on undulating terrain.

It has been enough to see me come into the spring in fine form and setting the target has motivated me to go out when things have been pretty grim.

So yes I set a target and it helps but it is all just riding my bike….

For the record, BRs rides are damn hilly!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Strava – mtb off road mileage curious’ is closed to new replies.