Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strava monthly climbing challenges
  • whitestone
    Free Member

I tend to do these rather than the distance ones as round here it’s pretty easy to get some big up and downs in a ride. (if I commuted by bike every day then I’d do 7,200 metres in a month without doing anything else).

This month’s current leader is this chap with 151,530 metres of ascent. His last ride clocked up 32,727 metres of climbing in just 8Km 😯 There’s also the fact that he lives in Singapore which I don’t think is the hilliest of places judging from all the shots I’ve seen.

You’ve gotta love technology 😆

bob_summers

>6,000m a week on my commute *

*using the term commute loosely,but the route does connect my house to my work 😉

redmist
    Free Member

32km of climbing in 8km? Think that guy needs to get his gps checked…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m also focusing on the climbing, rather than distance, over the winter (albeit my ride yesterday on Meon Valley Trail was pretty flat at ~2200 feet for a ~39 mile ride, I’ve just got in from my extended commute home doing hill reps where I did ~1600 feet over ~13 miles).

15% of the Strava Climbing Challenge done in the first two days, but a long way behind Mr Opie on the STW climbing leaderboard, even though I’m apparently 4th at the moment of writing.

I think there might be something wong with Singapore chap’s data. 😉

I know my Lezyne Super GPS gives wonky elevation data from the barometer (the barometer means Strava uses the device elevation data by default, over its database), so I correct it every ride recorded on it (clicking elevation on the ride and hitting the “Strava correction” button), but it seems many don’t…

And then create segments that are fake cat4 hills beginning at nonsense altitudes like -250 feet… There are handfuls of fake cat4s around Southampton! Strava needs to clean up it list of categorised climbs, these fake segments are a nightmare for those without local knowledge. 👿

andytherocketeer

32km of climbing in 8km?

everesting in a tower block?

There was nothing wrong with my GPS data the time I posted an uphill ride at roughly mach 1.2 😉

matt_bl
    Free Member

32km of climbing in 8km?

This kind of thing happened to my mate when his Garmin 920 was on the blink. Every run/ride he would do Everest plus. The leader of one of the Strava climbing challenges started to follow him, just so they could discuss it!

Matt

hofnar
    Free Member

Its hard to be correct you can ignore most of the south americans too. Map data for down there is a bit of. When I lived in Brazil it would almost double my altitude gain. Struggling now with snow to get decent my normal gain. Will just pretend for another day tomorrow and then slowly glide down the leaderboard.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I only look at friends I follow, and I limit that to people I know. Have a good idea their stats are achievable.

On climbing, the ones that are screwy are usually uplift days. Got that myself. Biggest climb is an uplift in the Alps. I wish I could get it to filter out obvious uplifts (long been suggested as a feature, but then so has just acknowledging the existing of mountain bikes).

Before I moved mine to private, I was getting all kinds of crazy distance & climbing South Americans and east Asians. They had thousands of followers and were in thousands of groups. I suspect fake accounts that like on Facebook are just being used to crank up the followers and sell it on or harvest data or something. I banned them all in the end.

whitestone
    Free Member

I only look at (am bothered about) people I’m following, it’s just that when you go to the leader board you get the full list and I noticed the ridiculous amount of ascent.

MadBillMcMad

I also use it just to see how far behind my mates I am.

Odd looking at Mr wongs rides. The leaderboard says he’s done 150,000m but his rides are all visible and they add up to about 1000m.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strava monthly climbing challenges’ is closed to new replies.