Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Strava KOM WTFige?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Discovered yesterday that apparently I’ve got the KOM for a 95 mile South Downs Way route.

Questions

I know for a fact that loads dozens of people have ridden that but why are there only 5 listed? ❓ 20 July 13 was last year’s BHF ride and I know of at least two people who rode that day, JP being one.

I also know of people who’ve done that faster though they may not Strava.

I didn’t get any notification of this so any ideas on finding out when the segment was created?

martinhutch

It’s normally either the start or end point that snags it up, rather than the content in between. Are they both definitely on the ‘usual’ route?

I was top five on half of the blue at Whinlatter – my joy was short-lived when I spotted there were only a dozen or so riders, and that the segment was configured so only someone parking exactly where I parked would qualify for a time.

allthepies
    Free Member

Your recorded route may have sufficient deviations from the one recorded by the majority and so it’s treated as a different segment (which Strava has matched a few others to also).

faustus

Also, you only have to complete 75% or more of the segment to get on the leaderboard, which creates some weird anomalies…

traildog
    Free Member

There is a known issue happening on Strava at the moment where this is happening.
    Nothing worse than a race where they mess up the results… 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

I’m confident that that route is correct. So confident that I can say it’s not totally ‘correct’ in that the start point isn’t the ‘proper’ start point in Winchester.

There’s also a point just after halfway where the route can take a ‘walking’ or a biking option to cross the A24 though I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s ever done the walking version.

For the volume of people who do this route, I don’t believe that there’s enough differences for other rides to not be recorded ❓

martinhutch

If I remember correctly, there is a start and end point for each segment, and the requirement that your route falls on or near 80% or so of the remainder of the segment.

You would have thought that the longer the segment, the easier it would be to meet the 80% requirement, and the lower the chances of GPS error ‘robbing’ you of a recorded time.

My best guess is that whoever created the segment had a minor GPS glitch which shifted the start or end point away from the normal ‘line’ on the track or road in question, even by only a few metres.
    Only those few people who had a similar error at the same moment on their route would therefore hit those points as Strava sees it. Hard to tell by just looking at your line on the map provided.

That’s the thing with Strava – you have to take all the ‘results’ with the assumption of a fair degree of inaccuracy. People with different devices riding side by side on the same climb can record wildly different times.

philfive
    Free Member

Happens at Gisburn.

Start and finish points are the car park but I can miss sections of the 8 out and still get a time for the complete loop.

mrchrispy

Doesn’t take much to knock it off on longer segments.
    On the pot shrigley time trial (brickworks/pym chair/dead mans) I missed the first little turn at the bottom of blaze hill (over cooked the breaks) and it didn’t record my time.
    Needs to be spot on the route.

traildog
    Free Member

There is this:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/33281044-Segment-leaderboards-not-listing-all-efforts

I have got a few KOMs these last few days on segments I have ridden before faster. Friends also reporting getting lots of KOMs. Basically there is something not working right with Strava atm.

pt81
    Free Member

Strava is a phone application and everyboby has a différent phone. Strava works better on road sections. Use it to follow your personel best rather than to win KOMs.

m1kea
    Free Member

pt81

Strava is a phone application and everyboby has a différent phone. Strava works better on road sections. Use it to follow your personel best rather than to win KOMs.

Is it? is that why my Garmin GPS has been wrong for the past 5 years…..

I know GPS’s have fun in tress and that you get variances with the tracking sites like Strava and Garmin Connect (200rpm bursts of cadence etc) but this just seems odd to me.

I’ll be doing the same ride on Sat so it’ll be interesting to see what time/route I’ll do this time round.

STATO
    Free Member

Simple answer.

A computer uses algorithms to decide if you did a section. They explain this as start, end, 80% or whatever but you know its more complicated than that as there are errors to be had everywhere. Result is, computer is not always consistent. If you think you should be in a segment, email them.

cookeaa

I set up a segment to keep track of the middle 10 miles or so of my commute, I currently hold the KOM for it, but only 3 riders (including me) have ever registered a time for it, hardly a big field. so it doesn’t really count IMO… The other two set their times over a year ago, its simply due to the route being slightly obscure/stitching together sections that other people normally wouldn’t, there are several shorter segments along the route none of which I am really in contention for, which tells you a bit…

OP looking at the dates, it just look like very few Stravaists ride that particular route, only three people this year and the other two were together.. you did earn you KOM though, look at the times, the fella in 2nd took 2.5 hours longer than you, thats more than just a lesurely stop for lunch. Fair play…

edlong
    Free Member

I know for a fact that dozens of people have ridden that but why are there only 5 listed? …I know of at least two people who rode that day..

Is Strava so ubiquitous now that if you see dozens of people on a route, you expect dozens of strava times? Blimey.

Genuine question: Is everyone on Strava now? Am I a weirdo for not being?

pt81
    Free Member

I stopted comparing my strava times with others the day i overtook a mate in a DH section and ended up with a slower strava time than him. Its just a game i play by myself.

bob_summers

There must be a team of monkeys at Strava spending all day sorting out people’s piddly little segments. Bet they wish they’d never even started it now.

😉

It hasn’t caught on quite as much among local (Basque) riders, as it was only in English until a few months ago. I am constantly amazed though by how many segments there are in the UK, and how many riders do each one. I was trying to find a mate’s power output on a popular climb there, and there were a couple of dozen segments just on that climb alone.

jota180
    Free Member

Genuine question: Is everyone on Strava now? Am I a weirdo for not being?

It depends

Take one small motorcycle/scooter and one Garmin Forerunner
    Set the virtual partner option on the Garmin to a just better time than a segment of your choice.

enjoy 🙂

Would I ever do this? I’ll think about that one
    Do I know anyone that does it? – oh yes 🙂

My mate got 11th fastest in a segment the other day – he’s listed as 11th, but it still gave him a KOM

timb34
    Free Member

Is Strava so ubiquitous now that if you see dozens of people on a route, you expect dozens of strava times? Blimey.

It’s certainly growing in popularity down in southern France. I’ve been playing around with this a bit : http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/

– it’s great for being surprised at who you crossed paths with, and for seeing playbacks of loads of people for big races/events.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah flyby viewer is fun. Looked at one ride I did and found someone who’d past me – on a train it would seem!

Next step with flyby viewer is to track down attractive laideez past on rides, not much effort to then find their usual starting point.

kcal

😯

nick1962
    Free Member

Strava works better on road sections.

Not always good on roads either,have a look a this Cat 4, 16% climb on google maps that I noticed the other day!
    http://www.strava.com/segments/5279782

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Strava KOM WTFige?’ is closed to new replies.