Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Strava – is this guy paranoid or dodgy?
  • ocrider

On a lighter note, how was Salagou yesterday?
    I suffered last year’s edition after the deluge, so couldn’t really be bothered with a repeat performance!

timb34
    Free Member

I went along with loads of spare clothes and waterproofs…

…and got sunburnt! 🙂

First time I’ve ridden around there. The trails up into the hills weren’t really that different to the garrigue north of Montpellier (except steeper!), but the parts next to the lake on the red earth were great fun, really grippy and fast.

I set off on the 45km loop, and the first two long climbs and descents were really slippy, two guys looked like they’d broken their collarbones. The friend I set off with really suffered on the climbs so we missed the cutoff times for the final harder loops, but it was good anyway.

I uploaded the trace to Strava that evening and was quite surprised to see that I’d got two KOMs – on segments that I think another guy had created that afternoon!

problem0
    Free Member

Someone will probably mark the thread hazardous if it gets too popular.

andypaul99
    Free Member

The only accurate information Strava gives is for self-comparison.

This ^^

There are simply too many variables on Strava to take it too seriously. CX bikes, dirt bikes etc etc. Just use it as a training tool, and if you really want to test yourself against others, enter a race.

neninja
    Free Member

I suspect someone who uploads just the segment and nothing else is using something like that Strava EPO thing. It would be obvious if they uploaded the whole ride as their speed between segments would be unbelievably high.

I do know someone locally who drives from segment to segment and unloads his bike to do each one. Unbelievable!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Just ride a bike. Simple.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why not knock up a Strava segment around your back garden, let see them try and take that KOM away from you

I did a ride up though a country estate road on Sunday. It’s got a gatehouse blocking access that is always locked, except for yesterday to let a running race though.
    Would be childish to make that part of the ride a new segment 🙂

ocrider

First time I’ve ridden around there. The trails up into the hills weren’t really that different to the garrigue north of Montpellier (except steeper!), but the parts next to the lake on the red earth were great fun, really grippy and fast

The ride up to that ridge is steep, but worth it for the amazing views.
    As much as I love riding the red stuff, it’s a right bugger to clean off the bike 😉

LS
    Free Member

We have a mysterious local guy just popped up on all the leaderboards.Calls himself Lance Armstrong. He seems to be taking a hell of a lot of KOM’s – usually by a second or 2. However, there’s one D/H that me an my mates can’t get our heads round – we are fast down there, but he’s taken 15 seconds off. Knowing how fast we ride it and how long/short it is, I think Peaty might struggle to shave 15s.

I think he’s legit (assuming you’re from Matlock way and it’s the same one), popped up a couple of times when I’ve looked at my rides. He isn’t that handy uphill!

climbingkev
    Free Member

What descent in Matlock are you referring too?Couldn’t see anything too ridiculous time wise…..?

This one.

Ok I’m no DH’er but I’m not slow by any stretch. Pfft I had the KOM shared with Steve Heading until my mate uploaded! Lance actually has 24 seconds on me and 18 on my mate. We were really shifting on that run. Possible I suppose but seems a bit too much.

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

I think he’s legit (assuming you’re from Matlock way and it’s the same one), popped up a couple of times when I’ve looked at my rides. He isn’t that handy uphill!

You look at uphill times 😯

Actually that segment is a biatch of a climb – my time up it isn’t too shabby 😉

LS
    Free Member

Well I’m 7th on that descent and I’m just an XC mincer on a hardtail. Perfectly reasonable if he’s handy downhill and has a bit of fitness as it’s quite pedally in places.

steel4real
    Free Member

Is it very technical ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Ok I’m no DH’er

Looks like our Lance is 🙂

Ha – hi Lee – seen you on a few segments, you’re pretty handy. I’m Dave Marshall – who do you normally ride with?

steel4real – not really, no

We’ll take Lance for real then – a few of us would love to know who he is though – think he lives up Asker Lane

Losidan
    Free Member

Give Lance a break. Since he cant offically compete this is his only outlet…

cardo

I think the clue might be in Lances name on that downhill route… professional cheat and all that..

I like Strava but it’s more for fun between your mates who like a bit of competition and some pub banter. Also handy for comparing your own results to see any improvement and for comparison between bikes.

I’m sorry but driving to go and pinch someone’s KOM is a bit sad isn’t it, especially when there is Strictly and X factor on the TV to watch. 😉

LS
    Free Member

Tend to ride the MTB on my own as I go out at funny times and/or a pace that people aren’t keen on as it’s race training. I ride on the road a fair bit with Steve Heading and I’m sure you must know Sam Smith – I went to school with him.

That descent, particularly the lower part, is just about how much disregard you have for the fact that you might pile into a group of hikers round the next bend 🙂

IdleJon

Am I reading that right? 3 minutes to ride 0.7 mile with a 300ft drop?

Yeah, Sam comes out with us on a Thursday night sometimes (well, I’m not riding at the moment).

I see you follow Gareth Ferguson too – he’s a good mate of mine.

Yeah – I always take it a bit steadier if I’m the first one down/on my own.

IdleJon – it does seem a bit of a long time, but the start is flat

IdleJon

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

IdleJon – it does seem a bit of a long time, but the start is flat

No probs, I was trying to compare it to local trails/times.

greentomatochutney
    Free Member

I think he’s legit, the fake Lance that is….but you could always ask him rather than everyone else on here?

I actually think he’s legit – think he makes his times count on the flat bits. The start of that segment is further back than I thought.

Thanks for your advice though. I CBA to read back through the thread but I don’t think I actually asked ‘everyone on here’

I made a longer segment from the top all the way down but there is a really pedally but in the middle – good old Lance destroys it again. Considering I managed 25mph on the very top section, 28mph where there’s a danger of killing ramblers, 31mph on the stony track at the bottom and 40mph on the road (for those that know it) I’d say he’s a demon on the flat, or very, very fast DH. I might ask him actually

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

Superficial
    Free Member

I always maintained that Strava was a great invention, but recently there appears to be quite a lot of weirdos coming out of the woodwork. And a few weird people stalking the riders who’ve ‘stolen’ their KOMs.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Strava – is this guy paranoid or dodgy?’ is closed to new replies.