Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strava in Manchester velodrome
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone tried it?

Does it work inside?

Is it too small for a meaningful result?

I’m not expecting any KOMs but I would quite like to know how far I’ve gone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t you just count the laps?

Harry_the_Spider

no.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I have strava and now my little boy come riding with me ……I’ve set him up too on a old phone.
    Last weekend we did a ride around the local park, then saw his mate and went back his house where my son was playing in the garden with his mate……..anyway when we got back home……I uploaded the ride…..and zoomed in on a large scribble……..it was where my son was playing with his mate in his garden……and being typical London the garden was about 6m x 7 m…….and that considered a good size….lol

So yeah …strava will work in small places……….I would love to do a velodrome ride

bensales
    Free Member

You’re unlikely to get a GPS lock inside, and without that it won’t work on a phone.

However if you’re using a bike computer that’s got a speed sensor, then you’ll be able to put it on Strava with speed and distance etc, it just won’t have a track.

breadcrumb

I Strava’d karting over at Teesside using my phone, it’s not massively accurate.

http://app.strava.com/activities/310695857

edhornby

Measurement is discouraged, bike computers are a distraction which is a danger and I wouldn’t recommend riding with a phone in pockets either

Harry_the_Spider

ok dad 😉

tthew

Hasn’t Jason got one of those tiny, basic tracker things? You could stick that in your pocket with little risk.

Can’t come on Friday unfortunately, prior engagement. 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

I bet it would work inside – there’s only a very thin roof on that kind of building, and my Garmin Edge even works in the downstairs of my house so it should have no bother with a velodrome.

However I don’t think you are allowed computers and what not on your track bikes..?

fubar
    Free Member

I was looking at this and they say

Do not have any active devices such as bike computers or digital displays that can distract you whilst riding. As a computer is a “projection” it is
    not allowed.

So perhaps you could stick a GPStracker in your pocket.
    I also found mention of transponders to hire which sounds interesting (anyone here tried it ?) :-

Mylaps transponders are available for hire, and can be hired on a daily basis from reception. Results appear on line in real time at http://www.manchestermylaps.com. The system gives accurate 50m, 150m 200 times, and lap time from the start/finish line per lap. This allows sprinters to record their 50, 150 & 200m splits in training without finding someone to hold a stopwatch! It also counts every lap and highlights best lap time, so also useful for scheduled warm ups.

here

Someone near me uses Strava for their 7-a-side games, odd on the flyby to see a red rectangle with an avatar bouncing around inside.

Oggles
    Free Member

Dunt work. Note top speed…!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strava in Manchester velodrome’ is closed to new replies.