Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Strava – How long would this take you?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/segments/8369980

This is on my doorstep, I’ve driven up it quite a few times. Drove it yesterday passing, dozens of riders grinding up the hill.

I would ride to the top and back down again. Strava tells me 2h54m on average, I think closer to 6h.

How long would it take you to do?

oldnpastit

I occasionally do a loop with about the same distance and height gain. It’s mostly fireroad. That takes me about 2h30. I have been described as many things, but “skinny racing snake” has never been one of them.

chilled76
    Free Member

Presuming it’s one long climb (Can’t see the profile from strava) about 3hrs up and then 30 to 40 mins back down at a guess from distance and elevation.

I’m an out and out sprinter and a bit heavy for long climbing. Working on getting my weight down though.

wallop

Why would it take six hours? I reckon you’d walk it in six hours!

Xylene
    Free Member

35degrees, 90% humidity, fat barsteward, 1:1 gearing on 1×11 for steep climbs

Sandwich

Under 2 hours up and about 45 minutes down (given a clear road to descend on)would be my guess.

hols2
    Free Member

On a good day, I can climb 250 meters in about 20 minutes. I’d have to ease off a bit for a longer climb and I don’t know about the heat and humidity, so I’d guess 90 minutes for the climb.

nickc

“It took me a little over and Hour”

lots of love, Jens

kayak23

How long would this take you?

Well, depends on availability of flights, then you have transfers, dropping off luggage etc.

I’m going to say about 3 to 4 days, presuming I can get the time off work.

Garry_Lager

Reckon about 2 hrs – v rough rule of thumb for me would be just into top third on strava for big road climbs. Lower if they’re v steep.

That one has a prolonged flat section for around 8 or 9 k that you could tank along, but then the final pitch looks like hard work.

6 hrs is absurd. You should try it and see, you’d be miles under that.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hard to tell without knowing the road surface, but based purely on the distance and gradient, around 1:10 on a road bike with nice tarmac, maybe 1:25 on a 29er HT if its a well surfaced dirt road.

So i guess 2-2.5hrs for up/down round trip

simondbarnes

Couple of hours up, 30 mins down.

Xylene
    Free Member

Road conditions are good, drivers around not so, rampaging elephants less so.

Some bits don’t quite look as daunting on Strava, as they are in real life, sharp hairpin bends.

I aim to do it soon. I think a year living 1km from the start is poor show really.

Trying to work out if I should buy a 34t chainring just for this and future endeavors.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The climbing sections at the start and finish are way beyond anything I’ve ever ridden…
    ~2 miles of ~2%
    ~2 miles of ~10%
    ~10 miles of ~-0.5%
    ~3 miles of ~10%

I’d guess ~1hr45mins to 2hrs. Pretty brutal ride for a short distance, for sure!

tthew

With that long flat section in the middle, I’d hope for a 10mph average, so 1hr 45 up. 30 mins down would be an average of 34mph, which given the flat bit would seem unlikely, so perhaps 45 mins down giving an average of 2hrs 30.

around 1:10 on a road bike with nice tarmac,

Knock a minute off that fifeandy and you’ve got the KoM. 😀

padkinson
    Free Member

Probably under 1:09 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

How many cake stops?

tomhoward

I’ve done similar stats (3600ft, 17miles, 30+C) in 1:50.

That’s moving time though, probably double that if you include stops. Nearly killed me.

MrPottatoHead

You live 1km away and you’ve not even had a try? 😯

Just go and do the first part and if you get knackered turn around and roll down the hill home. What’s holding you back?

oldnpastit

The steepest section has a gradient of 19%. I think I’d want quite a low gear for that.

mooman
    Free Member

Average 3% gradient … 17 miles long. If roads were good – Pretty sure I`d take the KOM.

Xylene
    Free Member

What’s holding you back?

The 10 quid entry fee to the national park.

butcher

I imagine the heat would be lethal. You’d want to go in the dry season..

bob_summers

Looks more like two climbs with that big flat/undulating section.

Nearest ‘similar’ climb I do with any regularity is 28km @4% constant gradient (Piedras Luengas, Cantabria), an hour and a quarter – twenty mins. But throw in Thai humidity and that final steep bit and that all goes out the window.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Strava – How long would this take you?’ is closed to new replies.