Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Strava heatmaps on the BBC
  • allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35640743

Darn sarf, North Downs, Swinley, Tunnel Hill etc showing up well.

natrix
    Free Member

Well done to Gorrick & co for putting us on the map 😀

chiefgrooveguru

I love how the hilliest average ride was in Merthyr – that’ll be the BPW uplift then! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benp1

I love looking at the heatmaps, they’re interesting

(I’m sad though, I like looking at maps too)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Darn sarf, North Downs, Swinley, Tunnel Hill etc showing up well.

It does illustrate how fragile MTB’ing in the area is though, one call form the MOD to enforce the no MTBing bylaws and it’d be over.

globalti
    Free Member

Strava Heatmaps fascinates me especially when I look at Africa where almost nobody cycles or runs except around a few big cities. Even Lagos has a few suicidal nutters prepared to risk the traffic and potholes.

theotherjonv

Yeah, but would it. That genie’s well and truly out of the bottle and trying to stop that number of users is nigh on impossible now. Particularly if antagonised to the point where we were to join forces and create a proper fuss about it. Hence why I’m still inclined to think that in the end it will be a compromise solution that they’ll have to offer, and why we should continue to do our bit by being reasonable about access when those areas are in use.

Pook

Surprisingly bendy those lines

bails

where almost nobody cycles

“Strava users” and “people cycling” aren’t necessarily the same thing. I’d imagine utility/transport cyclists use Strava at a far lower rate than mtbers/roadies/’sporty’ commuters.

nedrapier

+ 1,000,000 for utility users in developing countries. They’re not on forums asking “what garmin to track PBs for water run?” are they?

scotroutes

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Damn – we only do leisure rides in Surrey!!

oldejeans
    Free Member

I reckon uplifts at BPW skew Merthyr borough’s claim for highest average altitude

benp1

+1 – BPW uplifts are skewing that massively!

I like looking at the heatmap to find routes

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’d like to see them over layed on a map of footpaths to see how many cheeky routes are used.

benp1

The layering over other maps is quite poor I find. You need to do a side by side comparison (unless I’m doing something wrong)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[double post]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah, but would it. That genie’s well and truly out of the bottle and trying to stop that number of users is nigh on impossible now. Particularly if antagonised to the point where we were to join forces and create a proper fuss about it. Hence why I’m still inclined to think that in the end it will be a compromise solution that they’ll have to offer, and why we should continue to do our bit by being reasonable about access when those areas are in use.

I dunno, it’s still their workplace. And we can’t play the ‘x years of unchallenged access and it becomes a ROW’ card because it’s not been unchallenged. It’s not like council or Crown Estate land where there’s a requirement to allow access or manage it for the local community.

I suspect a small number was tolerated, even when the Trolls were taking 30+ people out there in a group it was still the only group for miles around. Now you pop down in the evening and it’s as busy as Swinley (pre trail center).

OTOH the land must be worth a fortune, if the Army was to give it up it’d be to sell for housing and buy half of Scotland with the proceeds.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Strava heatmaps on the BBC’ is closed to new replies.