Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Strava Hazardous sections ??
  • taxi25
    Free Member

this one is close to my home, and was my favourite empty the legs sprint if I had anything left.

http://app.strava.com/activities/49686066#877691151

Marked as Hazardous now !! no lights, no junction, pavement on one side only. All I can think of is the KOM was a bit over 30mph.
    Do people ( kn@bs ) actually look through segments and report them for this ??

crazy-legs

Which segment? That link above takes me to your complete ride…

A mate got a KOM a few days ago but whoever had set the segment up had done it from about 100yds before the turn onto the climb in question which meant a right turn across oncoming traffic to “contest” the segment. So (even though he had the KOM), he flagged it as hazardous and Strava removed it. He reset the segment up properly from about 10yds into the turn to the summit of the climb.

taxi25
    Free Member

Didn’t check the link. Its the “bridge road sprint”. A bit pointless closing it down people just recreate it under a different name. Only thing then you get loads of identical sections cluttering up the place.

mrmo
    Free Member

there are two segments that keep getting created and i keep flagging. having seen a couple of near misses and been involved with an airlift after a horse threw its rider, it is just not a safe segment to race. Top average s are over 30mph with a number of blind corners off road with a gravel surface.

taxi25
    Free Member

I agree you should be able to flag sections and the one mrmo describes seems fair enough. But this section has none of that. Apart from a 30+mph kom.

Sandwich

So what’s the box at the start of the segment there for? That could be why the segment got flagged, not everyone rides it early on a Sunday. Heading through there at 30mph in traffic could well be a little exciting!

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t know about any box ? Its a dead straight bit of road. The segment starts after the mini roundabout and ends just before the bridge. If this segment is dangerous so is EVERY flat urban segment ! You might aswell get rid of all of them.

mrmo
    Free Member

looking closely the trace does seem to start before the roundabout which i suppose could be seen as risky? Other than that not much wrong with it, but i don’t know the history of the road, any accidents? pissed people running out from the trees etc?

crazy-legs

i don’t know the history of the road, any accidents? pissed people running out from the trees etc?

Yep, all it needs is for one rider to have a near miss and then think (rightly or wrongly) that they’re being responsible in flagging it up.

I agree that there needs to be a lot of personal responsibility involved and that there will be occasions where a segment includes traffic lights or a junction – if the lights go red you just need to write off that attempt at it and try again another day. It’s just a bike ride!

A bit pointless closing it down people just recreate it under a different name. Only thing then you get loads of identical sections cluttering up the place.

That does annoy me about Strava, loads of segments within segments, duplicates and segments that have obviously been created just so the rider can have a KOM.

Doing a hill climb and missing out on the full hill so they create a segement called “Hillclimb – the steep bit in the middle” or something where they miraculously have the quickest time… 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Strava Hazardous sections ??’ is closed to new replies.