Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Strava GPS
  • themyers
    Free Member

Strava is driving me nuts

On my old phone – htc wildfire it was fine.

New phone – htc wildfire S – it only records fine if I also run my tracks at the same time! go figure!

I am assuming there is some kind of bug where the gps drops if something isnt constantly running or something?

Anyone had this?

It is a pain in the bum as obviously I am missing loads of KOM…for sure honest

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Other than occasionally missing segments ‘cos the GPS drops so I get a point to point reading that isn’t where really went, it’s been OK for me!

themyers
    Free Member

yea it used to be ok for me but the wildfire s readings are always now with massive flat lines like this (that is a good 5 mile stretch apparently in the sea):

arghhh

but my tracks is 100% fine on the same device and strava is ok(ish) if mytracks is running at the same time!

geetee1972
    Free Member

In about 12 months time, once we’ve all half killed ourselves physically and mentally trying to replicate some ridiculous KOM time, when friendships have been lost to bitter rivalry and people are left broken by the side of the trail because you’re on a flying run or children mown down for the same reason; when all the paths are ruined by straightlining and every ounce of passion and joy has gone from our sport, into the great GPX file in the sky, when people have even died, it will transpire that the algorithm Strava uses the record and track data contained a great big fat MSU component. And it will all have been for nothing.

themyers
    Free Member

geetee – that may be true, but until that time I own the 5km time trial from poole to boscombe pier 200m offshore

POW!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

……….get a garmin! 😉

scaredypants

can’t you export from mytracks to the strava site ?

thepurist

As scaredypants says, on my Wildfire S I use MyTracks to record the ride then save the track as a GPX (via the menu/options button thingy), then ‘share track file’ and email it to upload@strava.com (from the address on your strava profile) and it then gets processed and stuck onto your Strava activity feed. If I do that when I get home it’s all uploaded and I can read through my list of new KOMs by the time I’ve lubed the bike & made a brew.

BadlyWiredDog

it will transpire that the algorithm Strava uses the record and track data contained a great big fat MSU component.

Can I eat it?

chakaping
    Free Member

I run the Tracker Booster app and it makes my S2’s shitty GPS work almost adequately.

Ignore geetee, he obviously just lost a KOM.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ignore geetee, he obviously just lost a KOM.

That I’d be OK with but sadly I’ve never had one. There are far too many talented riders down here!

However, in the last three weeks, one person has had two major crashes, one of which involved him breaking his wrist very badly, the other wrote off his helmet, another time we completely lost one of the group because he raced off to get a flying start, two others ended up crashing, one into the back of the other for the same reason above and all because of bloody strava.

It’s a genie that’s out of its bottle!

jam-bo

However, in the last three weeks, one person has had two major crashes, one of which involved him breaking his wrist very badly, the other wrote off his helmet, another time we completely lost one of the group because he raced off to get a flying start, two others ended up crashing, one into the back of the other for the same reason above and all because of bloody strava.

People raced each other before strava
    People crashed before Strava
    People got lost before strava.

scaredypants

all because of bloody strava

🙂

😀

😆 😆 😆

richardk
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

it will transpire that the algorithm Strava uses the record and track data contained a great big fat MSU component.

Can I eat it?

I looked up MSU and found “mid stream urine”, so yes, go ahead and eat all you want.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

STW Blankety Blank
    _____________all because of bloody strava.
    ________ ___________ _________all because of bloody strava.
    ____ _____ _____ _____ all because of bloody strava.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I looked up MSU and found “mid stream urine”, so yes, go ahead and eat all you want.

😀

I meant ‘make stuff up’.

Of course people raced and crashed and got lost before Strava and really I don’t care too much about Strava at all. I think it’s quite funny in many ways.

But it HAS changed the way people ride; it may only be a continuation of what was happening before, but it’s definitely an exaggeration of that.

Before when you wanted to race each other, there was a huge element of ambiguity as to who was actually quickest, especially down hill. Unless you were right on someone’s wheel you couldn’t tell who was fastest. The timing element has changed that, removing the ambiguity (well for as long as you believe the times posted, and in a lot of cases they are very dubious) and making at lot of people much more aggressive and focused.

Everyone will be different but certainly our group has noticed the effect and we’re all starting to acknowledge that it has changed the way we ride.

It’s hardly a big deal of course.

scaredypants

Freddy Star Ate My Hamster all because of bloody strava ?

(damn, that’s 5 blanks)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Jesus there’s some melodramatic crap being spouted about Strava on here! Don’t blame an App for your own lack of skill / judgement. And don’t use it as a reson why trails are getting straightlined either. Do you really think all the straightliners are using Strava and not just being lazy?

TBH I think people are massively overestimating the popularity of Strava.

Anyway, back to the OP. I did a direct comparison between My Tracks and Strava (app) at the weekend. Had both apps running at the same time. They both had pretty similar results, but oddly My Tracks had a couple of gaps in the route, but Strava didnt. Strava (website) just joined the points at the start and end of the gap in the gpx file when I uploaded it later.
    So im going to try just using the Strava app instead of My Tracks next ride.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bigyinn I think you might have missed something here. Not blaming anyone for anything and certainly not using it an an excuse for my own stunning and brilliant riding ability, which is still a sight to behold.

I’d be happy to give you some coaching though if you like.

themyers
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, maybe i will continue to run both until i buy a dedicated gps

as for strava causing accidents – if you were really willing to risk your life to get one up on some guy you have never met, for the prestiage of a little crown jpg on a website, you are probably in the running for a Darwin Award

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t see that Strava really has changed the way people ride. It’s sort of digitalised their inate and pointless competitiveness in a slightly sad way, but that’s modern life for you.

Blaming Strava for stupid riding is a bit like blaming Wiggo for inventing cycling no? 😉

cookeaa

STW Blankety Blank…

Famine all because of bloody strava.
    World War Two all because of bloody strava.
    South African Mineworkers Shot all because of bloody strava.

I think it can officially be attributed as the root of all Evil now…

I’m still using sportstracker to log rides and churning out a GPX for upload to strava, more acurate perhaps but it is more faff than having the proper app….

bigyinn
    Free Member

geetee1972, my post wasn’t aimed at you in particular, but too many people are making out Strava is to blame for too many things.
    Not sure that i need any coaching, unless its in making rash generalisations…. 🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee1972, my post wasn’t aimed at you in particular, but too many people are making out Strava is to blame for too many things.

Sorry mate, that’s my error. Things a bit stressy in Maison Turner right now as we’re t-minus seven days for baby number two and the missus is going nuts! Making me a bit over sensitive I fear!

bigyinn
    Free Member

No worries mate, pre-birth hormonal women can be completely mental! Good luck with #2!

cheese@4p

I don’t care one way or another about strava.

I do care about:
    People who publicise and thereby threaten access to cheeky riding.
    People who straighten out lovely, narrow, flowing singletrack.

Guns don’t kill people, rappers do.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No worries mate, pre-birth hormonal women can be completely mental! Good luck with #2!

FIFY

And thanks for the luck!

bigyinn
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

FIFY

And thanks for the luck!
    FTFTFY!!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Strava GPS’ is closed to new replies.