Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava going crazy
  • spideymouse
    Free Member

Anyone else getting weird problems with Strava?
    Recent issues:
    Recording segments I didn’t ride.
    Recording average speeds that I can’t achieve (30 mph).
    KOM disappearing.
    Rides disappearing.
    Route planning/mapping trying to send me all over the place (e.g. rather than in a straight line on a straight road).

Logged with Strava of course but no real answers!!

Just curious if it just me or a general issue.

legend
    Free Member

Nope, been absolutely fine with me

AlexSimon

I had a weird issue on Sat, First issue I’ve ever had.
    Haven’t used it since to check though. Will be doing tonight.

It basically missed off the first 2km of the ride then started working. I didn’t change anything in the meantime. It also had me starting at home, when I’d driven 35miles before starting Strava!

thenorthwind

It basically missed off the first 2km of the ride then started working. I didn’t change anything in the meantime. It also had me starting at home, when I’d driven 35miles before starting Strava!

That sounds more like your GPS not being able to find its position for a while, and just using its last known position (at home, where you last switched it off).

thenorthwind

Duplicate post deleted.

scaredypants

Just checked, I’ve got hardly any KoMs

… working perfectly here 😥 😳

spideymouse
    Free Member

I’ve got hardly any KoMs

Yeah, well I had 3 and now have 2 and the segment has disappeared!!!
    Very disappointing in my disappoint life, for a moment I felt like a King of three hills, now just 2!!

Solo
    Free Member

Strava going crazy

Don’t worry, I’m lead to believe you can still ride your bike, without strava. It’s true.

mjsmke

Just started to use it again. Only problem I’m having is it keeps opening and recording by itself and I have to force quite (Samsung S4).

spideymouse
    Free Member

@AlexSimon
    Had the exact same issue. Willing to accept this is a GPS issue. I logged with Strava and they corrected things.
    Make me wonder just how accurate the GPS is on different devices, e.g. iphone v’s garmin

spideymouse
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I’m lead to believe you can still ride your bike, without strava. It’s true.

You’ve been mislead. Turn on Strava, turn on legs, ride up hills.
    Turn off Strava, turn off motivation!!

Only kidding, just like strava as is helps me keep a diary of rides and progress.

legend
    Free Member

spideymouse – Member
    You’ve been mislead. Turn on Strava, turn on legs, ride up hills.
    Turn off Strava, turn off motivation!!

Not kidding, just like strava as is helps me keep a diary of my awesomeness.

FTFY

AlexSimon

That sounds more like your GPS not being able to find its position for a while, and just using its last known position (at home, where you last switched it off).

Yes, but the strange thing is that missing 2km, so that meant it didn’t get a gps signal for about 15mins. I’ve never had anything like that.

It also didn’t measure any of the distance between my home and the next point like it would if I was on a chairlift, or similar.

spideymouse
    Free Member

awesomeness – if only.
    Keeps track how much faster everyone else seems to be.

core

Yeah, it updated on my android phone last week, and in the process seems to have lost the names/titles of a lot of my rides, and have me a max speed of 43mph at cyb last week, on a steel hardtail, riding like a pussy haha

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    Yes, but the strange thing is that missing 2km, so that meant it didn’t get a gps signal for about 15mins. I’ve never had anything like that.

That’s not uncommon, though. There are so many factors which can stop the GPS getting a good fix that it’s difficult to identify what in particular caused the problem.

With the disappearing segments and KOM thing, segments can disappear entirely if the person who created them decides to delete them or make them private, or if someone flags a segment as hazardous. Sometimes segments disappear from view but still exist and record; they show up as “hidden” segments on your ride and you can un-hide them using the website. No idea what’s caused this – it started happening more a few months ago. I think they maybe tried to automate cutting down on duplicate or “uninteresting” segments.

Unattainable high speeds sounds like GPS problems. Sometimes it lags behind for a moment, then suddenly jumps ahead as it gets an accurate fix, thinking you moved very quickly from A to B. Alternatively, if the GPS is sketchy then it jumps about a bit, adding distance (and therefore speed) over the time you were moving.

prawny

Strabo gave me a KOM the other week, apparently it took me 1:08 to ride the full section, the first half took me 2:11, the second half another minute or so, I flagged it myself, I don’t want that.

AlexSimon

That’s not uncommon, though.

Well – it was strange to me as it’s never happened before in 305 strava rides.
    I flagged it to Strava, so we’ll see if they can see anything in the data.

spideymouse
    Free Member

it’s never happened before in 305 strava rides

Likewise, everything was fine up until a few months ago.
    I know Strava changed a few features, like KOM of the year.
    But things are definitely not as good as they were.
    Still a great app but if it keeps getting glitchy I will have to look at others.

onehundredthidiot

The segment with kom may have been deleted. A guy round here does that when he loses one. He had a right strop one day and deleted loads. Then reinstated them with slightly different starts and finishes.

ferrals
    Free Member

The segment with kom may have been deleted. A guy round here does that when he loses one. He had a right strop one day and deleted loads. Then reinstated them with slightly different starts and finishes.

That is amazing virtual warrior behaviour! Someone needs to try entering a real race!

My two current gripes with strava are 1) it hides segments at random even when I’ve only ridden through a few on a ride and when I’ve actually got a KOM / top ten on them and 2) I was foolish enough to buy strava premium for a month thinking it would tell you your hr zones while you are riding but all it does is give you a funny little pie chart at the end of a ride. Or am I missing something? Bit pointless if I have to try and remember what numbers I am supposed to be staying between!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava going crazy’ is closed to new replies.