Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Strava, Garmin 510, & a non-techno rider – Help!
  • AyrshireRossco
    Free Member

Evening folks. I’ll try keeping this short and to the point.

I was having iPhone 5 battery trouble due to extremely cold temps when using Strava whilst out riding in the hills.

I’ve now got hold of a Garmin Edge 510 that one of my mates is selling on. Works great. BUT, how do I transfer my riding data from the 510 unit over to the Strava app on my iPhone?

Both are Bluetooth enabled, I kinda don’t want to “wait til you get home and plug it into your computer”, but even after doing that earlier, I still can’t switch it over to my Strava account. I also downloaded Garmin Express and Communicator, which hasn’t done anything for me either!

I just thought since both mobile devices are Bluetooth enabled, my Strava app would pick up the Garmin data? As said, not a gadget man by any means, so I’m struggling. Any advice out there!??

deadkenny
    Free Member

Strava and Garmin won’t talk to each other via Bluetooth.

The way it can work is if you install the Garmin Connect Mobile app on the phone. That will let the 510 sync to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth.

Next you need to connect Strava to Garmin Connect, which you can do from the Strava web site as far as I remember. Go to the Upload page in Strava and there should be an option to link to your Garmin Connect account.

Once done, sync the 510 with Garmin Connect app on the phone and it will all sync up if you’re lucky. More often than not, Garmin’s software fails in some way, on the phone, the Garmin or their servers and it doesn’t work. That’s if you can even get the thing to pair with the phone. But you may have luck.

Superficial
    Free Member

As above:
    Change the settings to allow Strava to access Garmin (you only need to do this once).
    Install Garmin Connect on your phone.
    Pair the phone and Garmin with Bluetooth via your phone’s settings.

Pairing can be a bit finicky. But once it’s paired, when I turn the Garmin on, the phone asks permission to connect. Agree, and then the ride will get uploaded automatically once you press save. From the Garmin app, it goes direct to GarminConnect online and then on to Strava, all automatically. It’s actually been working pretty well for me recently. When it decides it’s not going work, though, it’s basically impossible to get it working again. E.g. the penultimate Garmin update just killed Bluetooth pairing. Maybe they’ve fixed it now.

AyrshireRossco
    Free Member

Cheers guys.Got the device to sync my rides over when plugged in to my laptop. Just need to try it again and hope it goes from device to app next time I’m out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Strava, Garmin 510, & a non-techno rider – Help!’ is closed to new replies.