Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava experts..?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got an old skool wired powertap, and I’ve been using Strava on my phone to track rides. I don’t suppose anyone knows a way of adding the power data to the ride..?

warton
    Free Member

you need a power meter…

Strava do try and work out power, if you have a cadence sensor, but I would guess it’s very unreliable

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a power meter:

I’ve got an old skool wired powertap

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Most things about strava are unrelaible, like when I beat a mate up a climb by some margin, and his iPhone gives him a better time than my Android gives me.

It doesn’t matter, I won, but it’s annoying.

wwaswas

Most things about strava using a gps device with a poor sampling rate & accuracy are unrelaible

ftfy 😉

I think the trick is going to be to attach the relevant power readings to each gps sample that you have. Could get complicated.

mrmo
    Free Member

if you have a file with time stamps from both the gps and the power meter i guess it is theorectically possible to create a single file. You would need to know what Strava needs the file to look like to work though. What are the correct line headers in the GPX/TCX you would have to create.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your android probably thought you were still climbing the hill due to a poor gps chip set.

my iphones pretty close to the forerunner 305.

me and my edge fell out the other week as it had me crossing a river twice during my ride- piece of craps in 3 bits now.

looking at replacements now.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Interesting question. You’d need to upload both files and then meege them. Not possible in Strava as I know so I’d look at TrainingPeaks or similar.

I updated the software in mine to be Ant+ but it was wireless to begin with.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes you’ll struggle to do that frankly. Probably a case of upgrading to wireless ANT+, then either getting an ANT+ dongle for your phone, or using a different head unit.

Does it really matter though? Unless you’re using Premium it adds nothing special, and presumably if you’ve had a PT long enough to still have a wired one you have some better software for analysis and what not.

warton
    Free Member

I have a power meter:

I’ve got an old skool wired powertap

😳 I read that as laptop…

I believe the only way to do it is with an ANT+ power meter.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could probably use SportTracks to combine the files. Then export to a TCX file or similar, and upload to Strava.

Though it will depend on how well the files are synchronized. ie do they start at the same time, and is the time accurate.

njee20
    Free Member

I would expect there’d be enough discrepancies that it wouldn’t really help!

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably a case of upgrading to wireless ANT+

Oh ok then, where’s my fat bundle of cash sitting around doing nothing?

😉

Some kind of trickery might be required.. I may have to get coding.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve got the usb type dongle if that’s any good to you?

Make a great geek project

molgrips
    Free Member

USB dongle for which bit?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The actual hub, unscrew the plastic non drive side cover and there is an interface. The dongle was a once only operation but the geek in me says it should be hackable

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait.. you mean a dongle to convert wired to wireless?!

😯

Yes, definitely interested!

What do you mean once only operation?

njee20
    Free Member

I believe it was for a firmware update, but you may be able to hack it to make it transmit wirelessly. That could be bollocks though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve considered a wireless hack. You can apparently get ANT+ transceivers, I reckon you could figure out how the wired data was transmitted. I’d start with an oscilloscope, see if it’s some kind of pulse-width setup. If I were designing something like that I would not go to the trouble of encoding it digitally at the hub end – keep all the electronics in the computer.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

PM me your address and I’ll dig it out once I’m back home

crikey
    Free Member

Eat fewer cakes. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava experts..?’ is closed to new replies.