Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Strava elevation correction, accurate or not?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just used the elevation correction function on a ride as it looked like the garmin had a funny 5 minutes.

I’ve gained 2000ft which seems excessive…from 5.5k to 7.5k for blade, w2 and penhyd at afan. Is that right? Makes me wonder about all my other rides now…

philwarren11
    Free Member

I would say it’s closer to 7500 than 5500. Blade is over 2500, W2 is about 3500 and penhydd with blue scar is 2000.

Flaperon

I think the Strava elevation corrections are based on shuttle radar mapping, so probably not that accurate!

julianwilson
    Free Member

My wife has a garmin 500 and i have a 200. Without fail, once uploaded strava will give her 30% more climbing than it gives me for rides that we do together ie exact same distance, time, route, weather/atmospheric conditions etc. 😕

bigjim

definitely not very accurate, uses a pretty coarse terrain grid in the UK, I would imagine this underestimates height gain as the smaller undulations are smoothed out, keep meaning to do a comparison using more detailed data but never get round to it.

DT78
    Free Member

Just looked up the official ascent from the mbwales site, should be closer to 7.5k. Just recalcd my last trip there and gained a 1000ft. I’ve been cheated all this time!

chakaping
    Free Member

I find it usually goes lower than my 800.

Which I obviously consider to be more accurate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Strava elevation correction, accurate or not?’ is closed to new replies.