Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Strava – Cyclist as a runner
  • Pieface

So I lost a CR by 1 minute, which I know shouldn’t be too much of an issue, but looking at this athletes previous times I think he’s cycling but has his activities set up as running, he seems to be setting a 4 minute mile pace on a lot of his runs. This is the day he stole my CR, the first mile he ran at 3:30 pace. He’s only been using Strava for a short while. Should I flag this activity or is it sour grapes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/172950267/segments

His estimated best 5k time is world record territory…..

brassneck

It’s probably accidental, easily done since they combined the apps. I do it all the time, but no one else runs my segments. Except my wife, who got pissy when I took KOM on a longish hill. And pissier still when I pointed out she was still QOM 😀

Pieface

Flagged, they’ve been collecting CRs all over the place.

Strangely their device is a forerunner 220, think it defaults to running activity, they may be unaware of the stresses that not setting these things up properly causes 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

My Garmin watch defaults to running. This probably fires off KOM lost emails as soon as I upload a ride, before I then go and change it to a ride. Has the user changed the ride yet if you look at the page?

If not, no harm in flagging it, which will draw to his attention that it is set in running mode (or you could leave a comment on his ride)

MrNice
    Free Member

you can’t change the activity type on the cheaper forerunners, you need to change it when you upload (it’s not difficult). I usually find mine get flagged automatically with a “you appear to have been using a vehicle” message.

BTW – the estimated times stuff doesn’t seem to work. My times are credible *if* i was a good runner but I know I’m not that fast any more and when I click on the links it goes to a ride.

Pieface

I’ve looked at their profile and every single activity is a ride. They’re average weekly mileage is 45 miles and their average time is 3 hours. A bit of digging about proves they’re either faster than the current world record holders at the 1 mile, 5k and 10k, or more likely, have their default activity type set up, which I *think* is tied to your Strava profile, not the hardware.

MrNice
    Free Member

My Garmin watch defaults to running. This probably fires off KOM lost emails as soon as I upload a ride, before I then go and change it to a ride.

interesting thought… I could be causing untold distress to various runner types in the interval between changing activity type 😈

atlaz
    Free Member

There was someone here who clearly left their garmin running when they put their bike in the car. I was #2 on the KOM but didn’t want to flag the ride. This morning I got to work and someone else has the KOM; I guess that was important enough to this new bloke to flag the drive of the woman who had it before 😉

Pieface

I had an activity flagged when I left a device on in the car. I deleted the activity when I found out, although I don’t recall being notified that the activity had been fagged.

iolo
    Free Member

Op, is it really that important? You can track your progress. Isn’t that all you need to know?

Pieface

Of course its important…. ist STRRRRAAAAAVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAA!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Strava. Good for: ride logging as the new Garmin site is pap. Bad for: the idiots who think it’s a racing tool.

Pieface

Its also an excellent training tool. Its a good motivator to push yourself harder than you otherwise would.

Not everyone needs these toys, but for some of us its helpful.

Ideally I’d be raising my speed by taking part in more races, but as I struggle to get the time to do these regularly, I find that Strava gives me the momentum to push a bit harder, a bit more often.

I think on descents, especially bikes, the use of Strava for ‘racing’ is bad, but for running uphill to get fitter? I don’t think thats bad surely?

surfer
    Free Member

I run almost all of my runs alone now as meeting up with other runners isnt always convenient. I use Strava segments to piece together hard runs. Useful motivator and helps when training for actual races !

emsz
    Free Member

The quick after work pootle that my dad and me used to giggle our way around has become one giant segment!! It’s a total nightmare 🙂

gravitysucks
    Free Member

what do you all log your rides on starva on? Just you phone?

mogrim

My Suunto Ambit automatically uploads the runs and rides to Strava.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I would like to track my rides as a training tool but the ones i’d most keen to record and look back on are the long distance one that may be 12 – 24 hours.
    Not always ride time on the 24 hours but I’d be very interested to know what sort of pace I’m doing during the parts of the long rides.

My iphone wont cut it recording for 24 hours due to battery woes.
    Any suggestions? My old garmin edge 500 would do over 6 hours due to battery

brassneck

Yup, have a Bluetooth LE HRM to pair with the Nexus5 / work iPhone5 for special occasions, but generally use an old iPhone 4 as it’s smaller and cheaper than buying a Garmin (just use wifi to sync, but have been playing with a GiffGaff data goody bag).
    No idea if any are more accurate than others.

My iphone wont cut it recording for 24 hours due to battery woes.

Reckon a couple of 10 quid extension batteries would cover it without too much extra bulk. Might even be one that does it, not really looked for ultimate capacity..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Strava – Cyclist as a runner’ is closed to new replies.