Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Strava climbing challenge
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Looks like they’re putting the distance cycled instead of height gained.
    Wondered why I got an email after my 45 miles this morning telling me that I had completed the challenge!

martinhutch

Good luck in the distance challenge then.

PS: What’s the date?

whitestone
    Free Member

Have you seen the leader board? The guy (I assume it’s a guy) in first place has managed 321,000 metres of ascent on the first day 😯

backinireland
    Free Member

I wondered if it was an April fool or just a computer glitch!

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it’s at 7500m now, not enough as usual at this time of year.

whitestone
    Free Member

Every month this year has been 7500m. Someone moaned that it was too much in January but I managed over 11,000m, just scraped over the line in Feb despite only riding 12 days of the month. Last month I was just short of double the target. Easy to do if you live somewhere hilly, nigh on impossible if you live somewhere like Cambridge.

jonnyboi

I kind of assume the top people are just robots, I went out at 5am this morning and did 200k, but there were still people hundreds and hundreds of KMs ahead of me

chakaping
    Free Member

I live somewhere hilly.

😀

They could do with having easy, medium or hard targets though – I reckon I’d find it quite motivational.

prawny

The climbing one is a bit pointless if you ride regularly and dont live in Norfolk. I commute into Birmingham and do the climbing challenge in about 2 weeks every month. Distance one is trickier though, only get that about half the time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends though where you live /cycle/commute

My commute is 800ft of climbing. Its also 40 miles [ there and back]

greentricky
    Free Member

Yeh seen a bunch of people on my feed getting awarded the climbing one today despite only doing a few 1000ft

prawny

@junkyard is that 800ft each way or total? Mine is about 1000 in 1300 home. 2 decent hills but a lot of up and down.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TOTAL
    Its basically a tidal river by the coast with a hill to reach it which accounts for most of the “climbing” oh and one short sharp climb out of a valley
    314 in 518 home according to strava[ tbh its all in the first last 4 miles of it!!!

crazy-legs

I kind of assume the top people are just robots, I went out at 5am this morning and did 200k, but there were still people hundreds and hundreds of KMs ahead of me

A mate works as a guide in Spain.
    In the early days of Strava when they used to give prizes, clothing etc for all these challenges, he was banned from taking part as he won it every single month!

Obviously very few people on Strava in its infancy but when you live in a mountainous area and your full time job is riding bikes, it’s pretty easy to rack up hundreds of thousands of metres climbing in a year!

I did triple the March climbing challenge in 8 days out there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A short easy ride round here is a minimum of 1500ft, 2000 is fairly easy to do. So if I’m actually riding the climbing ones fall first, never got a distance one as I can’t ever be bother to lose that much time to the road bike.

greentricky
    Free Member

Yeh figure a bunch of audaxer’s are first to take the distance one each month, happily putting in a 400 or 600km ride on a weekend

jonba
    Free Member

Distances have to be done inside 24hours. Had this problem last year when I would have topped the leaderboard but over ran

celticdragon

Whitestone – Easy to do if you live somewhere hilly, nigh on impossible if you live somewhere like Cambridge.

I agree, I have a 40 mile round trip to Cambridge from where I live and its a total of 1700 feet, or 518 meters in metric. To get 7500m I’d have to do that 15 times in a month, and I simply don’t have time!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Strava climbing challenge’ is closed to new replies.