Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Strava Challenge: Climb for Nepal – anyone signed up? Money raising? Everesting?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Seems worthy, how does one go about monetarising it? I’m not one for sponsored activities but this one touched a nerve. Nepal deserves all the help they can get IMHO.
    Also, any one thought about ‘Everesting’? This would be the month to do it, I feel. I’ve been trawling Strava for a suitable hill but I don’t think I’m fit enough!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Everesting.cc is the website you need

Couple on here have done it, richpips did the road from Edale to the top of Mam Tor

bob_summers

I’ve thought of a few local hills which might be suitable but in the end it’s all procrastination. Don’t you have to do a climbing which hasn’t been everested?

Local lad did one I thought wouldn’t be a good choice, 4km at 12%,but with some very steep ramps and cattle grids to made the descents sketchy. Didn’t seem to faze him as he finished with 10600m!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve signed up to it on Strava and was just gonna chuck some money to the DEC or maybe buy the T-shirt. I wouldn’t ask anyone for sponsorship as I would expect to climb more than that in June anyway.

Hats off to anyone who can do it in one day and repeating the same hill – but I don’t have the time, inclination or (most importantly) legs to achieve that!

DT78
    Free Member

Signed up. Eve resting is on my list to do, you need a long enough and steep enough, but not too steep incline to be able to cover the elevation at a decent speed to fit it in within 24hrs.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yes – I’ve signed up. Three commutes per week plus a decent ride each weekend will get me to the target.

Re fundraising, I was going to buy the jersey.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m looking for a suitable hill in Aberdeenshire. Anyone think of a decent one? Suie hill looks quite good but a bit steep. Maybe the Braemar to Glenshee ski hill? I need something not too steep that I can spin up but not to shallow that I have to cycle for more than 24 hours and do over 300 miles!

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve been playing with this calculator:
    http://everesting.io/
    Too addictive!
    I’ve discovered than an undulating climb gets the height a lot quicker due to the fact that you gain a bit of altitude on the ‘descent’ as well.
    I’ve found this segment:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/6674394
    It looks like a sub-24hrs 140 mile route. Hmmmmm…. I will have to actually ride the route to see how I feel.
    It’s labelled OFFICIAL 100Climbs No66 The Lecht so I’m assuming it is officially allowed as an Everesting climb.

ant77
    Free Member

Round my way it would probably be Box Hill.

But I did some maths and it would involve 63 ascents and 350km of riding – 175km of uphill…
    Not gunna get that done in a day am I…

Suppose I could do the steep bit at the bottom of Dorking-Coldharbour… 100 ascents, 180km…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

this is the shortest one yet

https://app.strava.com/activities/305468358

DT78
    Free Member

Blimey.

Doesn’t look like any attempts have been completed in Hampshire or close to soton. My favourite hill would require 250 reps according to that calc, most I’ve done is 22. Think I need some light wheels before I try this!

Aprils climbing challenge was 9000metres and just managed that, so the months challenge should be doable, even with a newborn.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, that guy picked a 38m ascent with a 30% section and average 20% gradient. That would not be my first choice, but what do I know?

Only 45 ascents of Sheephouse Lane/Belmont Rd then.

😯

crazy-legs

I everested The Struggle out of Ambleside up to the summit of Kirkstone Pass today. 22 ascents. Legs hurt now…

Strava file online when I get home although likely to be tomorrow morning. Won’t count for the Nepal thing though cos that starts on June 1st…

Timing fail 😳

crazy-legs

There we go:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/315092465

Right, bed now!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve signed up but living in Cheshire Everesting is a bit of an issue, but as I’m solo’ing Mayhem if the weather is nice the total should be doable j one ride. If not I’ll definitely get it done over the month.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

amazing effort crazy-legs !

cloudnine
    Free Member

Go crazy legs! SHame you’ll have to do it again today for it to count

chakaping
    Free Member

Kudos!

What made you pick that hill? Just curious. Are you doing a write up?

DT78
    Free Member

Well done cracking effort there.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It’s labelled OFFICIAL 100Climbs No66 The Lecht so I’m assuming it is officially allowed as an Everesting climb.

its from the “100 Greatest Climbs” book,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cycling-Climbs-Cyclists/dp/0711231206

(other tax-paying booksellers also available)

hence the “official” bit, not sure if that makes it “officially” allowed for Everesting. Read the rules for Everesting and they seemed to suck what little joy there was out of a pointless-but-entertaining challenge.

Saw the Nepal thing but couldnt quite work out how charidy (and not Strava.com) benefited. My brother’s signed up to do it, as he lives in central York I did point out that mounting his Garmin at 30 degrees wouldn’t work!

crazy-legs

hence the “official” bit, not sure if that makes it “officially” allowed for Everesting. Read the rules for Everesting and they seemed to suck what little joy there was out of a pointless-but-entertaining challenge.

Any hill can be Everested, you just need to do the full segment each time. Not allowed part climbs. The 100 Greatest Climbs book isn’t related to Everesting, it’s just a list of “iconic” climbs. He’s done one for Belgium too – that’s quite interesting, all the cobbled climbs in Flanders.

What made you pick that hill? Just curious. Are you doing a write up?

I was having a chat last year with Richpips about his Everesting on Mam Nick and we were discussing ideal hills for it. I said in a throwaway comment “oh I wouldn’t try something daft like The Struggle” and then thought – actually, it’s the perfect climb for it.
    Lots of altitude gain (over 400m per climb) so it only requires 22 reps, it’s got an undulation in it which means you can actually add in 15m of climbing on the descent – not much but over 22 climb/descent cycles that’s an extra 300 m of height gain.
    Quiet-ish road, good sightlines, the descent isn’t terrifyingly dangerous so you can relax a bit on it and recover. Several laybys and verges where I could park my car (you don’t have to carry all your food and drink, you can leave it in a car at the side and stop whenever needed).
    The prevailing wind goes almost directly up it, the valley funnels it into a perfect tailwind. And it’s not too far from help if I crash (especially as I did it entirely on my own). Ambleside at the bottom, Kirkstone Pass Inn at the top.

What would have broken me before I started would be trying a hill where I needed 200 reps! The hill needs to be short enough so that you don’t end up riding 400+km, enough height gain so you don’t require 200 reps but not so steep that your legs fall off!

I’d been quietly planning it for weeks and yesterday it all just fell into place. Good weather but cool enough to be bearable and not dehydrate. Tailwind. And I didn’t need to try and book short notice time off work. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Strava Challenge: Climb for Nepal – anyone signed up? Money raising? Everesting?’ is closed to new replies.