Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Strava & automatic uploads from Garmin
  • samj
    Free Member

Hi,

In the last couple of weeks, when i connect my Garmin 800 to pc it automatically uploads and publishes the ride onto my Strava feed. I used to have to click ‘+’ -> ‘Upload a ride’ -> ‘Garmin’ to do this, and could then edit the ride name before ‘save & view’

Does anyone know how to switch this off and revert to Save & View uploads?

I’m uploading one ride at a time, as I’ve always done.

Thanks,
    Sam

legend
    Free Member

Go into your Strava profile, find the Garmin Sync icon and it should be easy to switch it off. Don’t know why you’d bother though, much easier just to let it do it for you (I’ve got an 810 so don’t even need to go near a PC) and then edit the name anyway?

STATO
    Free Member

Don’t know why you’d bother though, much easier just to let it do it for you

Some people like to;
    edit start/end points
    change from default bike
    make some private some not

You can do all that after obv, but kind of makes the ‘auto-upload’ benefit redundant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

I’m one of them (well apart from the route editing bit).

The garmin sync is probably only really a benefit to folk with bluetooth devices anyway. Where the activity appears in seconds and takes no time at all to go in and change the name, bike and privacy (in the app)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Guessing on connecting you have Garmin Express installed which is syncing to Connect and then Strava is set to sync with Connect. Just need to disable the Strava sync or if you don’t want to bother using Connect anyway, uninstall Express. Instead you can upload the file manually, or use the Garmin browser plugin for Strava.

Though I upload manually to Connect (I don’t trust Express), and that syncs with Endomondo, MapMyRide and Strava. Yes I have to then edit the ride name and set the bike etc on each.

samj
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies- i think indeed its related to Garmin Express which i installed a short while ago, so i could upload all rides to clear memory on the device.
    I will look to disable or uninstall.
    cheers,
    Sam

Dibbs
    Free Member

I upload all my rides to Garmin Connect and they then upload to Strava automatically, a couple of times recently the same ride has uploaded to Strava twice (with differing amounts of total ascent), haven’t managed to find a reason yet.
    The thing I find most annoying about the Strava sync is having to re-name the rides twice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Strava & automatic uploads from Garmin’ is closed to new replies.