Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Strava activity feed
  • larkim
    Free Member

Chrono order went out of the window on my feed about a month ago. Wonder if many have only just noticed as the new skin on the feed is also now live.

The new look I don’t mind and I’m sure I’ll get used to.

The absence of chronological ordering though is bonkers.

bigjim

I’m not sure middle class men being upset about the order of activities in their strava feed is the kind of thing change.org was created for, but I guess it says something about the world we live in.

zilog6128

I could tolerate the facepuke-like-feed in the app while the website still made sense. But now… not so much. Cancelled my subscription.

I have always thought that people who do stuff like this are being overly dramatic but I think I actually will cancel mine now (been Premium since 2012) because it’s shit and people have been telling them it’s shit for the best part of 6 months with apparently zero effect! Do they offer a feedback form when you cancel?

grenosteve
    Free Member

My worry with the new post/blog thing is it’s opened up the idea of new, unrelated things in the activity feed. How long until we get ads from bike manufacturers etc… showing up in there.

If you use strava more as a training tool than sharing tool, it’s rubbish.

The order will be back to chronological soon is my guess.

whitestone
    Free Member

I mainly use Strava for logging rides, some of the features are useful:

flyby – Who was it who shouted “Hi!” as I was screaming “STRAAAAVAAA!!!” in a vain attempt to get a KOM?

Explore/heatmap – is that dotted line on the map (I’m looking at you Scotland) sweet singletrack or a bog fest?

I use VeloViewer for better analysis and annoyingly arcane games/challenges. Eddington number, Explorer square, etc. I can get a list of Strava segments I’ve done ordered how I like: position; time behind leader and so on.

rossa
    Free Member

If you do quit Strava what are the alternatives though?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not so bothered about the new feed view, the chronological order is a bit annoying though, it seems to be based on when they uploaded them rather than putting them back in date order. What annoys me more is just lately strava flags up PRs but doesnt tell me the position on the leaderboard. I keep having to recompute the ride to get it to fix. I dont mind seeing myself and other peoples zwift because the few friends that do use it as well I like to give them extra encourgament for riding in the winter where previously they haven’t bothered. I can see why other people would want the ability to hide them though!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m using Runtastic MTB pro. Just started so still using Strava but I’m fed up with the KOM crap and just want a yearly record of how much I’ve done. I believe Runtastic has a tracker function via Facebook which will be handy for my other half.

zilog6128

Well, there’s no shortage of alternative activity trackers! I’m the opposite though – no interest in an annual mileage figure (don’t even bother logging all rides/commutes), specific ride data/analysis is what I want, and there isn’t really a decent alternative to Strava IMO. I’ll keep using it but probably cancel my paid membership.

sirromj

Golden Cheetah is very good for data analysis of rides if you have all your rides in a suitable format (ie .fit from Garmin sports devices) on a hard drive somewhere. Bit of a learning curve. Very good for tagging rides with keywords so you can later find them easily or compare etc.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not particularly a fan of the new layout so far, but using the free Strava with free Stravistix plugin tells me a lot about my rides/segments.

Only extra thing I would really like at the mo is personal segment records for different bikes, so if I for instance beat my PB on the Wazoo going up a hill, it would tell me… All things being equal, my Cube road bike should slaughter the Wazoo (but not by as much as I’d expect, ~50secs slower up “Old Winchester to the top”).

matts
    Free Member

* Proper privacy so even if on a leaderboard but enhanced privacy set, you can’t view that persons ride without being an approved follower.

Can’t see that happening. If you don’t want to appear on the leaderboard, keep the ride private. If you to want the leaderboard, then people have to be able to check out the ride otherwise they have no way to judge if it should be flagged.

EDIT: BTW, the new timeline and layout is rubbish. Some nice design elements, but rubbish.

gwurk
    Free Member

Strava has self appointed judges? ^^ 😯

Shouldn’t really surprise me. 😕

Those looking for alternatives. There’s no need to quit strava. Just stop taking it so seriously. It’s free and it’s up to you how much importance you put on your stats. Caring about other peoples’ is just weird.

atlaz
    Free Member

UK units of measurement (Celsius NOT Fahrenheit with feet, miles etc).

‘Display Preferences’
    Units & Measurement

🙄

Anyway, as any fule kno, bikeriderists use metric. Additionally, Fahrenheit is a Dutch measurement and hasn’t been used in the UK for over 55 years which, last time I checked is older than you deadkenny 🙂

May as well ask for subs that cost 3 pounds, 18 shillings and 10 pence

whitestone
    Free Member

I think he wants Celsius, miles, feet not Celsius, metres, Km.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ah. Well. Can’t have your gateau and mange it.

matts
    Free Member

Strava has self appointed judges?

Err – The users.

My point is that if someone wants to appear on the leaderboards, then they need to make their ride public. If you could keep it private, then others can’t really tell if the ride that just took a bucket load of KOMs was in a car or a moped. If all you know is that your KOM just got beaten by 2s but you can’t see that the rest of the activity included a 50 mile stretch of 100mph down the M1 how would you know if it was legit or not?

bensales
    Free Member

I’m fairly ambivalent about the feed order, and as an IT pro, I actually think the new layout is pretty good.

I have a bigger issue with them buggering around with data. I’ve got a support case open with them at the moment, as they don’t appear to be able to import data correctly nor add up. Case in point, a 4.89 mile run from Garmin Connect yesterday appeared in Strava (via direct integration) as 5 miles. Since the start of October, the training log weekly totals have actually added up to more than the sum of the individual runs. And yet Strava support have been telling me they actually round distance down to one decimal place… All they can tell me is “Strava is interpreting the GPS points differently to Garmin”. I don’t mind that when it comes to plotting the map, but if you’re importing data from another source, take the data including the totals and calculated values such as pace and display it as is.

gwurk
    Free Member

I refer you to the 5th sentence in my last post Matts.

Otherwise race.

atlaz
    Free Member

if you’re importing data from another source, take the data including the totals and calculated values such as pace and display it as is.

Don’t agree. All they do is import the GPS track, if their cleaning algorithm is different to that of Garmin then it differs. I’ve got rides that report more distance or less at times. I’m not so bothered though.

bensales
    Free Member

For the last few weeks it’s been chopping off my cool downs. It obviously looks at the difference in pace and removes data it thinks it out of bounds for the activity. So if you run for a number of miles, then spend quarter of a mile walking to cool down, it’s stripping the quarter mile off. I’ve looked at the source Garmin data, and the distance is there, along with the pace, speed, calories etc. There’s no reason for Strava to try and calculate their own. The only time they need to do this, if when processing data from their own app. And it’s definitely a bug, as it’s only started doing it since the beginning of October.

ferrals
    Free Member

rossa – Member

If you do quit Strava what are the alternatives though?

Depends what you want. if you are training properly and have power data I believe training peaks is better

AlexSimon

Mine still looks chronological (although hard to tell if they’ve hidden an activity completely).

Typography is easier on the eye.

Otherwise neither better nor worse afaic

disco_stu
    Free Member

If all you know is that your KOM just got beaten by 2s but you can’t see that the rest of the activity included a 50 mile stretch of 100mph down the M1 how would you know if it was legit or not?

Part of my commute home is along a canal towpath which runs parallel to a train line, I’m in the top 10 for a section but the KOM holder managed to average 45mph for this section on his route home.

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm, I think the ordering is now by time of upload, the start times of the last few rides in my activity listing go 1700, 1000, 1100, 1600 0800, 1700. The last two are my commutes which I’ve just uploaded.

In one way that can be useful if someone goes away for a few days then uploads all their rides when they get home. Think I prefer proper chronological though. See how it goes.

Edit: I’ve just set the commute flag on both my last two rides and the activity map for both has a commute label in the top left corner. I’ll need to check via a different account, like my wife’s, if they show up in that.

chakaping
    Free Member

TBH the non-Zwifters seem more precious than the Zwifters. It’s not our fault our training is indoors, it doesn’t suddenly make it less valid, or make it less important just because it’s not outdoors. Why can’t you non-Zwifters just accept, it’s what some people do

I can accept it, some of my best friends are Zwifters. Live and let live.

I’d still rather not see it on my Strava feed though.

Ditto for commutes and running.

gwurk
    Free Member

Not sure why you’d want to see ANY of your “friends” excercise data.
    You were either there in which case you wouldn’t need to see it.
    Or you weren’t there and there’s even less need to see it.

If an actual mate in the pub starts telling you about an activity they did and then went on to include stage names, times, HR data etc. You’d laugh at them and probably tell them to STFU. No?

whitestone
    Free Member

If you flag a ride as a commute it doesn’t show up in the activity feed of others. The data such as distance, ascent do show up in Strava challenges

imnotverygood

^ It does in my feed

fifeandy
    Free Member

@whitestone – it really does!

mahalo

Be good if it could capture conditions of the ride too, dark or light, wet or Dry… Give you a bit of incentive when the weather dictates you can’t really compete?

whitestone
    Free Member

@fifeandy & imnotverygood – curious. Checked again and they appear in my wife’s activity feed but way down the listing and with no obvious ordering when compared to activities by people we both follow.

One thing that hasn’t happened is that there’s a couple of followers who give kudos to every ride and that hasn’t happened yet. Next commute I’ll leave one ride open and mark the other as a commute and see what happens.

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t mind the new feed. Can still get to the meaty bits and the training log link is handy.

As for Zwift, segments on Zwift are unaffected by wind so there is actually more useful comparison in seeing how fast somebody ascended the virtual Box Hill or the Volcano or did three laps around the CCW loop than how well they drafted a tractor down the B4030 😆
    Also useful for seeing how fast a race was on a certain course.

To be honest, the only thing I look at on people’s real feeds is average speed and weighted power if they have it. Or to see who’s been trespassing in ‘my’ woods 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

atlaz – Member 

I think he wants Celsius, miles, feet not Celsius, metres, Km.

Ah. Well. Can’t have your gateau and mange it. [/quote]

Yeah ‘Statute UK’ measurements like Garmin have a setting for. It’s the assumption that anyone who uses Celsius must be fully metric that gets me.

Though it’s my age I think. 70s kid and parents all imperial and schools are teaching metric, so I’m half and half. They’d talk F but I’m used to C (I still call it Centigrade though), but then road signs are miles and yards so I’m used to that. Mixed up with weights though. I understand stones for bathroom scales but not kg, yet buy stuff in shops weighed in g and kg. Bike weight I understand more in lbs, because many quote it in that.

Confused 😀

Anyway, as any fule kno, bikeriderists use metric.

Always an oddity that. As said our road signs aren’t metric. Of groups I ride with it’s a mix of who’s got their Garmin set in KM or miles. Makes it confusing when talking about how far we’ve gone.

And height, I can never visualise metres. Might be a skiing thing though as I’m used to places that quote their mountain altitudes in feet (okay, US in particular), and 14,000ft sounds a lot more impressive 😀

scotroutes

As said our road signs aren’t metric. Of groups I ride with it’s a mix of who’s got their Garmin set in KM or miles. Makes it confusing when talking about how far we’ve gone.

I use km off road and miles on road (unless I’m abroad).

whitestone
    Free Member

Like you a 70s child so was taught in metric. I grew up on a farm and farming’s been metric since I can remember but we’d still talk about “the six acre field”.

Km on and off road for me. Weights in Kg. Things like personal height etc. is a curious mix, I’ll use metric for my height but imperial for things like chest and waist. Temperature is always Celsius/Centigrade, Fahrenheit is just too weird.

I’m sure my Garmin (510) allows me to set different fields using different systems so you can have Imperial distance along with metric height and similar.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the new style activity feed. Visually it’s ok, will take a bit if getting used to though, as with most changes.
    They need to add the option to revert to chronological order though, because it’s just a mess as it is at the moment.
    An option to not see peoples turbo/Zwift sessions would be handy too, although personally I treat zwift the same as any other ride with segments in it etc.

roverpig

I can’t see what the fuss is about. It looks a bit different, but my rides are all still in order. Maybe it’s because I don’t follow anybody, although I can’t see why I’d care what order other people’s rides were in.

gwurk
    Free Member

This guy ^^

Be like him.

scotroutes

Maybe it’s because I don’t follow anybody, although I can’t see why I’d care what order other people’s rides were in.

There’s a wee group of us locally that ride in the same area and it’s often useful to see where folk have been, see what new stuff they might have found and get an idea of what the current trail conditions might be like. So, if someone has just ridden a trail I might contact them to find out about river levels, felling etc. None of us are into the Training side of things so stuff like HR and power never come into it. I guess that if I was competing then being able to keep an eye on the competition would be a thing.

Sharing rides on Strava is little different to sharing photos. Some folk do, some folk don’t. For most that do it’s a record of where they’ve recently been, not a random collection in no particular order.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Strava activity feed’ is closed to new replies.